imagine the fishing back then.

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
if only we could turn back clocks.( and take our modern gear with us)

Reactions: c-goat
Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
Neat video.........A lot of those oil rigs were still there when I was a kid surfing Huntington Cliffs in the early 60's......actually glad they are gone they used to leak crude all over the place.

Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
"actually glad they are gone they used to leak crude all over the place."= the black tar balls we used to get on our feet and everywhere else..

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
"actually glad they are gone they used to leak crude all over the place."= the black tar balls we used to get on our feet and everywhere else..

I almost forgot about the tar balls on the beach.........I remember sometimes they would get real bad and I would track the tar into the house, my mom would make me rub a gasoline soaked rag to wipe them off...........geez the things be believed was safe back then!

Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
I almost forgot about the tar balls on the beach.........I remember sometimes they would get real bad and I would track the tar into the house, my mom would make me rub a gasoline soaked rag to wipe them off...........geez the things be believed was safe back then!

Good times with tar everywhere.... and yes i remember the gasoline treatment myself

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
The Roaring 20's were a time of great expansion...along with great ocean pollution and environmental rape. Laguna, Dana Point, San Clemente and points south were considered slums that attracted bums. The Navy was busy dumping ammunition and chemicals just off the beaches. Life was miserable for the masses with rampant poverty the norm for those below the wealthiest. The middle-class rarely enjoyed a trip to the beach because they couldn't afford it. Modern conveniences only existed for the rich. Running water and sewage systems were few and far between in the costal communities. Raw sewage dumped into the ocean was the norm.

Beaches were essentially dumping grounds as most considered beach living to be slumming it. Even up until the early 1960's Dana and Clemente were considered taboo dirty military dives. Fast forward 90 years and our beaches and near-shore waters are as clean as technologically possible in spite of a burgeoning population and inland development.

Funny how perceptions change.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
That is so cool.
Speaking of pollution,mid 70,s, I can still remember those pink plastic tampon things on the shore of OB next to the pier. Dozens of those things would litter the high tide mark.The sewage treatment plant(green tanks)didnt filter that shit out back then i guess.

Upvote 0