I'm "that guy". Islands/Rockpile with kids.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by prater, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Danthefishman

Danthefishman Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    19ft aluminum
    Thanks for the report. Thinking about hitting up the pile on Friday. Did u guys meter any fish or see any hooked? Reports seemed pretty bleak. Also what time did u guys get out there? Thanks for any info, and good on you for realizing your mistake and not telling him to fuck off when he was cordial to you... Little things bring good Karma. Whenever I do well I remember some little nice thing I did recently and always link them together. Karma or not it makes me feel good :)

2. bajabum

bajabum Pedo Viejo

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    23 striper WAC 24 skipjack open 15 fisher 19 proline
    Just be glad it wasn't the Legend. Trowbridge wouldn't have been so "understanding"

3. Pokey

Pokey Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack
    Hey nice try! If the kids had a good time, then I'd call it a successful day! Also it does not sound like you were "That guy" because you realised what was going on and handled it. No one is perfect out there

Good luck for next trip

4. wlca

wlca Newbie

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Pro-Line 190 Sport "Jennie L"
    Refreshing to read a humbling report. Thanks for sharing the "lesson learned" with the rest of us.
    BTW, Ginger was the hottie! They don't make women like that anymore.

5. mandoman68

mandoman68 Big Loco

Name:
    Mandoman
    Boat:
    Kathleen
    Damn were old!

6. prater

prater Member

Name:
    michael
    Boat:
    luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
    Arrived at middle grounds for first drift around 0600. Metered fish briefly a couple of times throughout the day. A PBer caught one yellow just outside lighthouse on South Island around 0800, otherwise didn't see or hear of anyone hooked up, and that includes my unusually good vantage point of the San Diego during the mid-morning at the Rockpile. I also trolled Rapala's 270 degrees around South Island, didn't meter anything. Can't tell you temps, as mine not working. Even though it was windy with whitecaps, water was as clear as a hot tub in my prop wash. Good luck to everyone.

7. fishnbob

fishnbob Spongebob wannabe

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    Nope
    I was on the Pride and the yellows bit from 530am to maybe 7am. Nothing after that. Good try and your kids are awesome for sticking it out!!!

8. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    At some point in every fisherman's life, he'll look up from what he's doing and realize that he's being that guy. I've been there myself...

9. AKULA683

AKULA683 STS3(SS)

Name:
    Toby
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Sounds like you did pretty well for having all the kids onboard. "That guy" would have smiled and waved at the sporty completely oblivious to the screw up. Then he would have come on BD and complained that the sporty captain was less than friendly to him. Lol

Questin. Did you not have enough scope out or was the anchor not holding even with plenty of line out? How deep was it and how much anchor line did you put out?

10. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi prater,

You can bet skipper saw you were a straightup boater/angler with your positioning and behavior from the get-go !! Isn't it amazing the good press the skipper and boat can get from his behavior and your reporting it to the community at large. We get lots of bad press and rants on both PBer and sporties behavior alike (guilty as charged) but so few in the positive. Gotta hit that boat sometime.

Thanks,

tsurikichi

11. Ocean-tendency

Ocean-tendency Member

Name:
    Christopher Davis
    Boat:
    Prowler 13
    Anchoring at the Middle grounds can get iffy, if you've ever seen the bottom, especially on that ridge, so many tiny nooks that you anchor can get stuck in and also the angle on the ridges can make you think you're hooked in, but will pop right off..Min 20' of chain..min...and lots of scope especially in a bad ass current or as windy as it was on Wed.. Atleast you had a good time with the kiddos, as long as they felt better after the hack attacks.. Wed had some narly winds for sure.

12. phingst

phingst Newbie

Name:
    Code seven
    Boat:
    Trophy 19ft
    Sound like one of my trips

13. jacko

jacko Member

Name:
    E
    Boat:
    25 ft Parker
    Who cares, love that picture on your profile. As your punishment you need to post mofe pics of her?