Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    Monday, 9/10/18, my buddy and I went to the Coronados to catch some fish. Day started great, he hooked and landed a 24 lb yellowtail by the middle grounds. A seal came charging over, but either the fish was too big and he didn't want to play, or he found another. Gaffed, bled, and bagged it.

Found some bigger grade bonito, and bagged 4 of them... then it went south.

Radio chatter indicated skippies were close, so I punched in the numbers and off we went. Saw a couple cattle boats and a bunch of sporties north of us, so we went to join the fun. Now we're about 3 miles or so northwest of North Island and yellowfin tuna are boiling because the charters and some sporties are throwing bait. Got bit twice on the colt sniiper, but came undone both times.

One boat was scooping anchovies from the side of their boat and using that and they were kiling it. We got nothing. They apparently wanted anchovies, but they sure didn't want anything we had. I used live sardines, 100g colts, 40 gram colts, rapalas, poppers...

I should have stayed at the Islands, but I had to take a swing, right? Days like that make me want to sell my boat.

Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
    Jun 17, 2015
    Lake elsinore
    Name
    all she's got
    Boat
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    Thanks for the report. I would say it was worth the effort for sure. You never know if you don't go. If you would have landed the 2 hook up you would have been in business.

Reactions: Low N Slow
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    I would of did the same thing. You had a good day capt. It won’t always payoff.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Monday, 9/10/18, my buddy and I went to the Coronados to catch some fish. Day started great, he hooked and landed a 24 lb yellowtail by the middle grounds. A seal came charging over, but either the fish was too big and he didn't want to play, or he found another. Gaffed, bled, and bagged it.

Found some bigger grade bonito, and bagged 4 of them... then it went south.

Radio chatter indicated skippies were close, so I punched in the numbers and off we went. Saw a couple cattle boats and a bunch of sporties north of us, so we went to join the fun. Now we're about 3 miles or so northwest of North Island and yellowfin tuna are boiling because the charters and some sporties are throwing bait. Got bit twice on the colt sniiper, but came undone both times.

One boat was scooping anchovies from the side of their boat and using that and they were kiling it. We got nothing. They apparently wanted anchovies, but they sure didn't want anything we had. I used live sardines, 100g colts, 40 gram colts, rapalas, poppers...

I should have stayed at the Islands, but I had to take a swing, right? Days like that make me want to sell my boat.

I leave fish to find fish periodically myself, do not beat yourself up over it!
    The only way I go where the fish are is by finding them myself, and even when I do find them . . . if I think and believe they should be in another area based on my own RECON then I pull the trigger quickly and frequently and find them elsewhere, like eating out of your own garden, well depending on what you grow in your garden. I say you had a real good day Shawn!

Last edited:
    Reactions: wils and Low N Slow
    Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Hey you got out on the water and put some meat on the boat , i always say stick and say and make it pay , easier said than done one 24 pound yellow makes it a great day good job

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    First time I have seen anyone complain about a 24 pound yellow.... :D

That beats work all day everyday. Not only that, I had to drive to Santa Ana in rush hour traffic to pick up my daughter from Jury Duty.

Consider yourself lucky and congrats!

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Yeah, but you do have the best avatar on Bloody Decks, so there's that :drool:

Funny you should say that Kinison; meaning Arima-bobs's avatar.

I showed mom the short story I wrote on BD and she just couldn't get past the avatar of Arima-bob. I had to keep on explaining that it wasn't a chick who was writing. She thought it may me someone I could pursue. :eek:

Sorry Arima-bob.

Congratulations on the YT Low N Slow

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....

I showed mom the short story I wrote on BD and she just couldn't get past the avatar of Arima-bob. I had to keep on explaining that it wasn't a chick who was writing. She thought it may me someone I could pursue. :eek:

Sorry Arima-bob.

Congratulations on the YT Low N Slow

That's hilarious! If I looked like that I'd have no problem getting out on boats...

I'd have to spend my whole day warding off wiener though, and not get to fish.

Upvote 0

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
    Jul 19, 2013
    Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Norm Campbell
    Boat
    UnBelievable
    Well you are not alone! To the left is a pic of my lil version of fishing happiness. Just pic your days well. The thing is you can’t beat someone else making your breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also unlimited bait and chum with someone on the tank throwing for you. Know its just a different experience. Putting a sharp pencil to it, it’s less expensive to board a sportboat and fish like crazy. Just learn how to fish with rent-rodders and have a great time either way.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"

Just don't tell mom that avatar chick has taken up permanent residency in the ol' spank bank! :oops:

Last edited:
    Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I'd have to spend my whole day warding off wiener though, and not get to fish.
    Even if you don't get to fish, you still might catch something.

Upvote 0