PENN

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
Oceanside
Name
Chad
Boat
ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
I'm going to Bahia De Los Angeles for 4 days in July and was just wondering how many people have fished there before and what to expect? How was the trip and what kind of fish did you catch? I know its a long drive and there is 11 of us going< 300$ per person including Hotel, Panga, and food, wich I couldnt pass on. Any feed back and stories would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Are you towing your own boats or hiring pangas?
    Either way bring heavy irons for YoYo and Rapalas for trolling for YT's.And the occassional grouper.
    Bring light freshwater tackle for fishing from the beach. Kastmasters and grubs for triggers and Mackies. Mackies = bait too.....Be prepared to deal with heat, particularly later in the month, and as the other guy said , pray for calm winds....

Upvote 0

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
    Oceanside
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
    hiring panga, and im bringing lots of salas 6x, rapalas and nothing less than 40# test should i bring light gear. i heard that you hook a mack or baricuda and send it down for big grouper and when you hook up you have to turn the fish asap otherwise it brakes you off in the rocks

Upvote 0

welder

Plate Alloy or die
    Mar 31, 2007
    Whitesboro , Texas
    www.aluminumalloyboats.com
    Name
    Lester Roberts
    Boat
    23 Pacific Skintback
    Last time I was there with my 18' westcoaster/bayrunner was 1989 . There was giairmos [spl] Bar at his one line ramp , my cousin was there with his Cal46 for a mother ship for a week .

We caught so many fish we BROKE RODS , I hope you have a GOOD time and DON'T forget your Hat Glasses and sun screen.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    hiring panga, and im bringing lots of salas 6x, rapalas and nothing less than 40# test should i bring light gear. i heard that you hook a mack or baricuda and send it down for big grouper and when you hook up you have to turn the fish asap otherwise it brakes you off in the rocks

Bring the light gear. Use it for screwing around on the beach. Also for makin macks. Leave it on the beach when you take the boat.

Upvote 0

SUNSEA

Nov 14, 2005
    SAN DIEGO
    Name
    BRIAN
    Boat
    23 TROPHY SUNSEA
    Fished L.A. bay lots of times and July should be calm and hot. By then you should be looking for yellowtail and dorado along with trigger fish and the bottom species that are there all year round. If you can take some frozen squid and a little dry ice to keep it. It is good for everything that bites. Good luck but you shouldn't need it.

Upvote 0

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
    Oceanside
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
    Bitchen, I got a shit load of Humbolt in the freezer and i will bring it for sure. I dream of hooking in to a bi trigger but who knows. `I think I might bring a couple of sabiki rigs and a light set up to make bait and see what I can get>
    :hali_olutta:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Bitchen, I got a shit load of Humbolt in the freezer and i will bring it for sure. I dream of hooking in to a roostr but who knows. `I think I might bring a couple of sabiki rigs and a light set up to make bait and see what I can get>
    :hali_olutta:

It's been years since I was down there. But, I remember coming back on the 4th of July. I seem to remember people freegaffing humboldts at night while I was there. So the time of year might be right to get some free, fresh squid too.

Upvote 0

G Ride

Almost A Member
    Sep 6, 2007
    Clairemont
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    2320 Pilothouse
    This should probably be in one of the Baja sections, but I wanted to ad my 2 cents.

I've been most successful down there with dropper loop setups. 40lb main line with 5' of 100lb leader attached to a swivel. 1' "loop". 8/0 Owner gorilla and minumum 6oz of lead. Buy baits or make baits and knock the crap out of the cabrilla, grouper and YT. The other recommendations are very good too. Have on hand Rapal's and 6x's.

Careful shore fishing. Bullseye puffers love anything you throw in the water and they'll destroy plastics, crush hard baits and bite through light wire hooks. It's still fun, but be prepaired to lose a lot of hooks/baits etc to the puffers.

Oh I should add, humbolt squid is not bay squid. Definitely not Calamari. It's ok, but it's not great. With no fisherman, the panga fleet has made a whole industry out of it. No idea what they do it with it, but they literally fill the pangas with squid, head home, throw them in the back of a waiting refridgerator truck off it goes to somewhere. I hear the dry them out in Japan and make like beef jerkey out of it, so maybe that is where they go.

Upvote 0

brantc

Ranchero
    May 15, 2004
    crown point
    Name
    Brant
    Boat
    whichever one will have me
    you're in for a great time. Wind shouldn't blow that time of year. YT fishing is really good and cabrilla in the rocks. I will be down there as well around the first part of July. It's an epic area with lots of fish to chase. Have fun.

Upvote 0

hyroller

Almost A Member
    Oct 9, 2009
    Hermosa Beach, CA USA
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    25, Defiance
    Take your camera because you'll see the most incredible sunsets and sunrises. Another tip; the population there do not make a alot of money. They defineately appreciate tips and gratuities. My last trip there, we took along several pairs of childrens clothes and gave the guides all our old fishing tackle. Stuff like old line, hooks, lures that started to rust etc. The kind of stuff that you don't want to throw away, but yet hang onto because it still may be good. Every year you buy new and never pack the old stuff for a long range trip.
    At the end of our trip, we paid the panga guide our tips and gave him the tackle and clothes. He and his wife, kept coming back and thanking us with tears of appreciation. They were truly moved by the gifts.
    This area is a very rural area without alot of amenities.

Upvote 0

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
    Jan 4, 2009
    Placentia
    Name
    Mick
    Boat
    The Beach
    Whale sharks are in the bay,take the camera for sure!
    For what its worth Joel Prieto puts me on fish when I am in town.

Upvote 0

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
    Oceanside
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
    Thanks guys for all your advice and stories, I will take it all into consideration and even take the camera so I can share (brag) about the trip. For some reason I'm more exited about this trip than any long range that I've ever been on.

Upvote 0

Fishtome

Sep 11, 2007
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    N/A
    A friend of mine and I where there during the last major El Nino and we found huge yellows (60 to 80 lbs) in 300 ft of water off a large point south side of the bay about three quarters of the way out of the bay. Use large macks and we also found a bait fish that looks like a ten inch fresh water shad that was instant candy to the yellows and they only bit the sabikies just as the sun hit the water. To give you an idea again of the size of the fish, five of them filleted and baged filled a 151 qt coller. Good Fishing

Upvote 0

78 Skipjack

A little dry Rot is ok
    Mar 18, 2010
    san diego, ca
    Name
    Mr. Ahab
    Boat
    1978 Skipjack pilothouse
    I caught tons of bass north end of the bay. Amberjacks breezing in the bay. Yellows its pretty much insane... and when you come over hill to catch your first glimpse of the islands you'll be smiling at the all the islands...try the turtle if they still have the turtle farm.

Upvote 0

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
    Oceanside
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
    Thats bitchen about the big yellows, I hope we get into something like that. The biggest yellow Ive ever got was about 30#. Thanks for te story

Upvote 0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Vista CA USA
    Name
    Mike Melzer
    Boat
    18'
    I was down there early in early september a few years ago and we caught so many dorados and yellows that our coolers were full. We ended up playing catch and release for the last two days. My personal catch of the trip was a 75+ lb giant grouper (released) on a live barracuda, 100lb line, and an 18" piece of #1 rebar!! It was an unforgetable trip. Yellows ate irons all day but I must have lost atleast 10 in the rocks. Have a great trip!!!

Upvote 0

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
    Oceanside
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
    Everyone says lots of gear gets lost so I went to squid co. for the first time and was really impressed with the pricing. I ended up with 7 salas 6x, 4 rapalas and 12 12 ounce sinkers, hope i have enough. Maybe I should go back down and pick up some more.:jig:

Upvote 0

tomdog

Captain
    Aug 16, 2009
    La Habra ca.
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    18 foot, inveader, tomdog
    The south side of the bay near the point there is a small protected bay that has clams in about 4 or 5 feet of water. You can feel them with your feet. Just look out fore the stingrays

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Good advice about the stingrays they were thick when I was down there. I was nervous every time i went into the water to pee....I mean cool off....

Upvote 0