I'm booked on the Indy Nov 26 thru Dec 7 trip - how are bunks / staterooms assigned?

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Wow! do you know why? Why would she care if she was able to get the full load price for the boat when you are going DOWN max load? I can't even begin to understand that one.

One less person for the boat to worry about, good for the passengers with one less person to fish, and maybe one more rotation on kite/troll/both, easier for the crew, same money at the end of the day with the possible exception of a 1 person "lighter" tip, and maybe an assumed "lighter alcohol bill"....

Can't fathom (no pun intended to Steve/Penn) on this thought process.
    No Idea, she did say that the ONLY person that could do that was the Charter Master, this was right after WE ALL got an email saying that WE needed to drum up someone to take the open spot. I never did ask my next question "was the load just 23 or was it 24 or more with the Charter master and anyone else he brought" which has happened to before, advertised load 30 was 32 with him and a buddy. I probably would have been killed for that one.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Judy. I asked about…

Oh, never mind.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Well....think I was one of the last to book and I'm a single, so I'll just have to "make do". At least they have a system (so no free for all brawls). I'm sure it will work out great and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the intel, Jim
    I have been fishing the Indy for a number of years and keep coming back......it is that good.
    Your bag number is also the key to designated rod holders.
    I think you will have 3 numbered spots on the side of the cabin and one on the top of the tackle stand. If you have a lot of tackle, line, rigging etc. I suggest 2 bags... ONE the daily fishing bag for the lower/main deck level tackle shelves at your assigned number. For extra tackle, limited use (Wahoo) lures, wire, etc. plan on putting this 2nd bag in your room storage or on the upper deck -- the boat's rigging station is on the upper deck (( where for a modest fee the crew will replace your mono topshots after a busy day, etc.... )).
    Also, perhaps put limited use rods also on the upper deck with bungie cord or tackle bag tubes and bungie cord.
    YOU CAN HAVE A GREAT TIME.
    Tight lines,

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

snordo

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2005
    Torrance
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    Indy
    I am on this trip too and was on last year's trip as well. This should be a better trip with the new Chartermaster and group. All the rooms are good and the loading order in the morning really doesn't matter since the tackle spots are reserved. Plenty of space for tackle and also in the rooms. Last year, we had Josh and Rollo in the galley and were fantastic and would be happy to see them again. Ed has always been great and Frenchy, well - he's Frenchy. As long as you are sarcastic to him - he likes you :)...but not at 5 am.

Last years trip went with 23 anglers :) we were spoiled to say the least. 28 on this trip but we will still have plenty of room.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Is it OK to leave your box on deck?

I have my first trip on the indy next year. If I don't get a low number, do they allow any boxes on deck, like the RP does? Sure would be nice to use my box mounted rod storage. Am I wrong, but reading this thread sounds like rod storage can be at a premium. Thanks

snordo
    snordo
    There is plenty of rod storage and I've never seen a trip of any length with all of the rod holders full. I have also never seen a box on the deck, except for upstairs since their is a lot of traffic around the tackle boxes and chairs.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1630212304879.jpg
      FB_IMG_1630212304879.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 33
    Upvote 0
    Sep 30, 2019
    Washington
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Duckworth

I have my first trip on the indy next year. If I don't get a low number, do they allow any boxes on deck, like the RP does? Sure would be nice to use my box mounted rod storage. Am I wrong, but reading this thread sounds like rod storage can be at a premium. Thanks
    Everyone has an assigned spot for one box and 4 rods plus rail space along the side of the boat. There is absolutely no shortage of space for everyone and it is not first come first serve.

Reactions: Big carp
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I am the charter master for this trip and I have the bunk assignments, Judy just emailed me the layout as I have some members of my group who were curious as well. Send me a private message and I will figure out where you are assigned.
    I bet I know what stateroom you have!

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport

Generally you should get to pick the stateroom from the Charter Master accordingly to when he received your deposit for the trip, The same way the landings/boats currently do.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    no this isn't a cattle boat, you just don't put your box on deck where you want. I love that picture, with the folding chairs in the way, I was on a trip once where the chair was pushing up against the rail and when an angler was "hot rail" the chair got thrown over board, which is what I would have done, it's bad enough when you get a guy who won't move. next time I'm just dropping my shoulder.

Reactions: Rex1978
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    The Indy website say's that your room/tackle #'s are made upon your PAYMENT date, I don't know if that's the day you make your deposit on the trip OR if that's the day your "paid in full"? I have not had the balls to ask Judy that!

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a

There is plenty of room OFF THE DECK for rod storage. The Indy has a well organized tackle / rod storage system that usually prevents a race for space - - - as on some 'first-come' or pretend 'legacy' boats.
    PLEASE don't homestead a chunk of deck space.
    You will see that the seemingly 'empty' space gets crowded at the end of a day .... as the folding chairs come out and people relax around dinner time.
    Also, I don't want to trip over your box, have to reach thru your rods to my assigned one rod holder on the top shelf rod-holder row, or to brace myself in seas, or brush against the hooks on your on-the-deck rods at 4 am -- when I am barely awake and the boat is rocking.
    Perhaps consider re-packing/re-sorting your gear and happily put your rod-holder box on the upper (tackle rigging level) to store your less used rods there with your Wahoo gear, etc until needed. That also lessens the salt spray your waiting gear will receive and makes them handy to the rigging station.
    You can put your day-to-day gear in a different bag on the assigned shelf space.
    I now routinely put my roller bag with rod holders and wahoo / rigging / less used gear on the upper deck and it works out fine. I put a bag with want-to-have-handy items in my assigned space. Just bring a few bungie cords for rough water days.
    My 2 cents. Others may disagree.

Reactions: CMYSIX
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    There is plenty of room OFF THE DECK for rod storage. The Indy has a well organized tackle / rod storage system that usually prevents a race for space - - - as on some 'first-come' or pretend 'legacy' boats.
    PLEASE don't homestead a chunk of deck space.
    You will see that the seemingly 'empty' space gets crowded at the end of a day .... as the folding chairs come out and people relax around dinner time.
    Also, I don't want to trip over your box, have to reach thru your rods to my assigned one rod holder on the top shelf rod-holder row, or to brace myself in seas, or brush against the hooks on your on-the-deck rods at 4 am -- when I am barely awake and the boat is rocking.
    Perhaps consider re-packing/re-sorting your gear and happily put your rod-holder box on the upper (tackle rigging level) to store your less used rods there with your Wahoo gear, etc until needed. That also lessens the salt spray your waiting gear will receive and makes them handy to the rigging station.
    You can put your day-to-day gear in a different bag on the assigned shelf space.
    I now routinely put my roller bag with rod holders and wahoo / rigging / less used gear on the upper deck and it works out fine. I put a bag with want-to-have-handy items in my assigned space. Just bring a few bungie cords for rough water days.
    My 2 cents. Others may disagree.

Thanks for your insight. Different boats are different. This is one of the reasons my new box is designed with removable rod holders, and the box itself is not very big. On one trip - admittedly limited load on a big boat, there were 8 with SKB or larger boxes on deck, and that was clearly the norm for that group, and for the RP. Just trying to find out what to expect.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

The boat is pretty wide. I recall a box on the deck on the starboard end of the central, three level tackle rack. Think it might have been Soda’s. If you happen to be #1-6, you’re golden, on the top level. But, everyone has to reach over those six boxes/bags to access the assigned rod spots.

I will have to offer my suggestion to management on renumbering the spots. That can wait until I’m safely aboard for the Graftech 16 day departing 3/28. :)

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

potuna

Unknown member
  • Jul 23, 2011
    San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
    Tackle box storage is a sore subject for me, Indy unless you have the top row isn’t great. Most guys had large skb boxes and on second and bottom rack you can’t open the top and upstairs gets full fast.
    RP has a crappy set up for tackle boxes, that duel bench seat doesn’t help. Don’t get me wrong I like both boats for Captains, crew, food and fishing and haven’t been on an boat that to me has idea tackle box storage unless you get one of the few choice spots. And don’t get me started on the guys that lean their rods on your box.

Steve K
    Steve K
    If there were more room for tackle boxes, we would just bring bigger ones. Turns out, we don’t really need to have immediate access to 100 jigs.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0