https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
The Report:

Every living creature was out today; bait boils everywhere, birds crashing the water, Dolphins airborne and boats crisscrossing all around the point. Everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, mom, dad and the kids where out. I lingered around the harbor all day. Plan was to make bait and drrrrrrriiiiiifffffttttt for Butts. So "F"ing boring. All the usual spots had no bait (Macks). Finally found some after an hour and a half in the most unlikely spot. Drifted off the Point for two excruciating hours. Set four times, two sticks, and pulled in two baits with the reminisce of the right kind. Perfect bite marks of a Butt. 20 fathoms.

Clear skies
Glassy conditions (Boat traffic made it feel like there was a 10 knot wind)
Water off color green, fairly clear 57-58 degrees
No current

Why bitter?
Some know I'm looking to upgrade to an Arima rather that keep going with the aluminum skiff the SLIDER, Now I have concerns.

During the holiday season Embarkaderelict Landing closed half the parking area/boat storage. I had hopes that they may open it back up during summer, THINK AGAIN. Today as I headed to the wash down it was barricaded and the water stations were removed; only two left right by the launch. (Never once complained about stuffing a quarter in the machine for one minute of water).

I know when summer gets here it's going to be ugly. God forbid some Dorado show up.

Tell me, How's Oceanside? PM me.

Here's some pictures of the clusterphque.

IMG_0258.JPG
Wash down area, gone

IMG_0261.JPG
Here's where the fighting area is.

IMG_0262.JPG
The area now closed off

IMG_0263.JPG
The new gate

DP has been mine and the SLIDER's home for 30+ years. They closed off all of Laguna Beach for fishing and now this. I'm bitter today. Tell me do things ever get better for the common outdoorsman? The first company that can put together a virtual salt water fishing apparatus, I'm in! (Must include Whales, Dophin, a nice sea breeze and ocean spray).

Last edited:

djam

Jun 2, 2008
Irvine
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2320 (Terabite)
It's going to get worse as the new management company comes in to make "money."

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Thank you for the update.

Have you ever sabiki'd smelt for butts?
You need a size 14 sabiki to get the ones that are under 5" to 6" in length. Smelt 4" is about as small as I want because they are kinda fragile when very young. Much over 6" and they beat each other up if confined to a small bait tank. Their scales, at least to my senses, become much harder after they reach 5".

Reactions: SMYLEE

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Thank you for the update.

Have you ever sabiki'd smelt for butts?
You need a size 14 sabiki to get the ones that are under 5" to 6" in length. Smelt 4" is about as small as I want because they are kinda fragile when very young. Much over 6" and they beat each other up if confined to a small bait tank. Their scales, at least to my senses, become much harder after they reach 5".
Smelt is the ultimate bait... shhhh! Got a 46lb but on a 10" smelt about 2 weeks ago.

Mike_I

Well-Known "Member"
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 "First Love"
is there anything keeping you from parking in a regular trailer spot in the new "employee parking" areas?

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
I was there today doing boat projects. There are 5 or 6 more wash racks along the curb to the left of the entrance/exit driveway looking at it from the ramp.

Also saw a few cars drive right over the delineators to get into the other section of the lot.

New wash down area is the area I marked in red. It’s parallel parking and goes around the bend. Fairly inconvenient to have to parallel park a trailer between two other truck/trailer rigs.
2EC650CE-AF24-45F1-9465-2F511FC6FB6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackfish

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Good to know in the “new” wash down area.

Used the “old” one today that is chopped down and being polite if I say the layout makes sense.

Hoping most of this is long term temporary for the remodel. I amsure some space will be lost for a logistics yard during the remodel as well.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Just be glad they still have a boat launch their, With or without hoses. I know it sucks, But theirs not to many options. The city probably wants to put a restaurant or something else that will generate more income than the ramp generates.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Just be glad they still have a boat launch their, With or without hoses. I know it sucks, But theirs not to many options. The city probably wants to put a restaurant or something else that will generate more income than the ramp generates.
I'm sure it needs to be their due to the coastal commission, But it doesn't state what size it needs to be or all the other bells and whistles, That some other nice boat ramps have.

socalroob

Oct 17, 2016
socal
Name
YKNOTUS
Boat
1997 Hydra-sport 2250, 200hp H.O. E-Tec
Dana will be dry stack storage in 2 years I was told by one of the ladies in the office. And we’ll have to dry stack the boats (in the facility they are building) unless theyre over 40 feet or something like that. Pain in the arse.....

I also heard they’re not signing new leases for dry storage. Could be BS. AAAnd they took the washracks from inside the gated storage too. Higher rent, less amenities, gotta be that corporate mindset... ugh

Glad to know about the new wash rack locations..

We will be heading out this eve to check on some short lobster, and maybe find a keeper or two hopefully!!

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
AAAnd they took the washracks from inside the gated storage too. Higher rent, less amenities, gotta be that corporate mindset... ugh
When I asked in the office why the inside wash racks were taken out, they told me they got dinged when inspected because those racks didn’t have a sewer drain. They were draining directly into the harbor, which is a big no no. Not sure if I totally believe that or not, but that’s what they said.