Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
I fished aboard Chasin' Tail Saturday with Mike and his fine crew. We had our bait and ice and were headed out of the Illwaco marina while it was still very dark out. I couldn't tell ya how the bar crossing was, cuz I plopped myself down in one of those bean bags in the back of the boat and was sound asleep most of the 40 plus mile run out. Dang those things are comfortable!

We started trolling a few miles from our targeted spot and one of our buddy boat hooked up immediately... this was looking promising! But then all was very quite for several hours. We arrived at the area that had produced well for them Sunday, Aug 1st, covered it thoroughly, and no one was home...

One of our buddy boats headed back to where they caught the first fish, and we ran out to try the tight contours.

Our buddy boat picked up another fish and had a couple drive by's, and we finally picked up a single on the troll with nothing on the bait stop. The warmest water we had seen was 58.1, and only got cooler the farther out we went. After trolling the edge in 57.8 degree water for a while, Mike turned the boat east toward a flat. The temperature suddenly jumped to 58.3 and a couple of the troll rods started screaming! Only one stayed on the troll rods and I picked one up on bait, then back to trolling.

We continued working this flat for the next couple hours and pinged our two buddy boats to join us. We had several doubles and one triple on the troll rods, but only managed to land one fish every time. The best bait stop we had produced three fish, so it definitely wasn't easy lights out tuna fishing, but we managed to get 10 in the box. Could have been better if we'd landed the 5 or 6 that came unbuttoned... but it was still an awesome day chasing tuna in the big pond!

Mike and I lost a couple that we would really like to have seen... I had one on a troll rod that just ran and ran, then broke 65 lb braided main line, taking the swivel and big Rapala with him... there went a twenty dollar lure!!! Then about a half hour later in the same area, something ate Mike's live anchovy, and took off straight down, smoking his spinning reel. Mike tried to slow the beast, but didn't even phase it and it finally broke off about 600' of braided line, almost completely spooling Mike's spinning reel!

At one point the troll rod with zucchini clone went off, and Dexter skillfully brought the fish to the boat and let it cruise a bit while we tossed anchovies trying to get a bait stop going... but nothing. So finally Dexter brings the fish up and to our surprise, it's about a 10 lb native COHO!!!

Tuna fishing isn't easy this year, especially with no clear satellite images available, but I'm really hoping to get at least one more shot at it!

Thanks for the invite Mike! It was great fishing with you, as always!

99b7da57.jpg

Upvote 0

Ducttape

May 28, 2009
Olympia/Wa/US
Name
Steve
Boat
"La Paloma" 24ft Skipjack
thanks for the report. at least you came home smelling like albie and not skunk. thanks again.

Upvote 0

Dolphina

Jun 18, 2008
Southwest, WA, USA
Name
Cam
Boat
25' Farallon
We went out the same time from Ilwaco and dropped at 124.50 x 46.12, went west to 125 then turned due north.

I don't know the temperature as I'm sure my digital sonar needs to be re-calibrated but we fished at least two degrees colder than the year before. We put nine in the box and lost two by noon. Nothing in the afternoon. We had one about #14 and the rest were in the #20 range. Only one fish hooked on a bait stop, the rest were trolling zuchinni and/or Mexican flag stuff. One triple and landed two - it was the usual braid eats the mono thing.

When I re-rig next winter, I'm thinking of dropping all the braid on the trolling poles. Looking to go this weekend if the forecast holds.

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
We had our first ever "Tuna Taste-Off" using four recipe's I found. I used Bernstein's Italian dressing, Gavender's Seasoning, Yoshida's, and Weber's Mesquite.

37c00046.jpg

f2c90c0d.jpg

They all went on the BBQ just long enough to have a little pink in the middle.... then it was on! We all tried some of each, and here's the official results:

The wive's first choice was Yoshida's, with their second choice being Bernstein's Italian dressing.

For the guys, first choice was Gavender's Seasoning, with the second choice being Weber's Mesquite.

Upvote 0

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
we went out of cr sat also started fishing at 02/40 went south a little 57/42 and started hitting singles got one bait stop going fish boiling and 1 on when a grady trolled right up our chum line:finger: after that it slowed up and we ran north to 12/49 and scratched up 3 more ended with 9 in the box gonna run again fri or sat

Upvote 0

Kitchen Pass

May 13, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
24' Seasport, Kitchen Pass
Unfortunately for me I went saturday with Chasin Tail and came home smelling like skunk not alby. It was a great day except for no fish and the columbia bar was a little dicy coming in. Just one of those days when your buddy boat is hookin up and your not. Trolled the same stuff at the same speed in the same areas and got one hit. Plan of fishing out of westport this sunday. forcast is looking ok right now.

Upvote 0

Green Wasabi

Flip Squad
Apr 6, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Dexter
Boat
24 North River OS
Thanks for the report, Trent. I pretty much passed out when I got home. I need more sleep!

That coho hit like a mack truck! Impressive little guy. Fun times with the live bait and watching Mike's spool get emptied out by unknown creature.

Upvote 0