IGFA question

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
I was browsing through the rules and I’m a little confused.. is a 5’6” overall length stand up rod legal if fishing a tournament with igfa rules? Also is the Winthrop terminator butt legal with igfa. Thanks

Upvote 0

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
I read through that already. I’m still not understanding. Would be easier if it just said no rods with an overall length less than say 6 feet. Is the “tip” of the rod the reel clamp to the last roller top? Because If so it says 40 inches. Which most rods have for sure I’d say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
2. The rod tip must be a minimum of 101.6 centimeters (40 inches) in length. The rod butt cannot exceed 68.58 centimeters (27 inches) in length. These measurements must be made from a point directly beneath the center of the reel. A curved butt is measured in a straight line. When the rod butt is placed in a gimbal, the measurement from the center of the reel seat to the pivot point of the gimbal can be no more than 68.58 centimeters (27 inches).

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
For further clarification, contact your tournament committee. They should publish something similar to this, specific to your tournament.

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
2. The rod tip must be a minimum of 101.6 centimeters (40 inches) in length. The rod butt cannot exceed 68.58 centimeters (27 inches) in length. These measurements must be made from a point directly beneath the center of the reel. A curved butt is measured in a straight line. When the rod butt is placed in a gimbal, the measurement from the center of the reel seat to the pivot point of the gimbal can be no more than 68.58 centimeters (27 inches).
Ok but is the rod “tip” the rod disconnected from the butt ?

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
As I interpret the rules, there is no minimum butt length - just a maximum. The dividing line between the tip section and the butt section is defined as the center of the reel. The tip section has a minimum length of 40 inches. Therefore, if you could figure out a way to attach the center of the reel right at the end of the tip you could theoretically have a 40 inch rod (useless). The rod that would give the most leverage is minimum tip + maximum butt = 67 inches, but the rules do allow a shorter rod by shortening the butt as much as you desire.

Upvote 0

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
As I interpret the rules, there is no minimum butt length - just a maximum. The dividing line between the tip section and the butt section is defined as the center of the reel. The tip section has a minimum length of 40 inches. Therefore, if you could figure out a way to attach the center of the reel right at the end of the tip you could theoretically have a 40 inch rod (useless). The rod that would give the most leverage is minimum tip + maximum butt = 67 inches, but the rules do allow a shorter rod by shortening the butt as much as you desire.
Right so basically any rod “without a butt” that measures 40” and over is legal, and any butt less than 27” is legal so a 5’6” rod can indeed be legal. Can be a little confusing

Reactions: Phishy Phil
Upvote 0

Latest posts