BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Steve, I was visiting my brother last dec when the big snow hit. I thing he lives about 3 ½ hours directly south of Jefferson. Record cold but when you don't have to work in it I don't mind. I have worked many years all over the country and I think that some of our states have been over looked for their own beauty. I choose to live in a more moderate climate. A little of everything I can take. My kids are still in Michigan and the last winter was one of the worst on record. We still plan on doing a lot of traveling in the RV and since I am not rich I needed to trade property here for gas money. I have tried to figure a way to stay here and continue my same living standard but when I stop working altogether and the money stops coming in whats next? SS benefits don't go to far around here and being self employed all my life I will not get a pension like many. I wonder how many here have stopped to really figure out how much you will have to retire on? I know for a fact that if I am not working I can't afford to live in SOCAL and continue my same life style. The hardest part will be trading my boat for a pontoon and rocking chair. LOL

Dennis, after I finished that assignment in Jefferson, MO where it got down to -2, they got back-to-back storms. First was freezing rain, followed by 2' of snow on top of that. It halted everything.

I loved (sic) driving across MO after landing in St. Louis and counting the number of cars off in the ditch. I have to be the only Californian who knows how to drive in that stuff.

I learned (Wall Sr Journal) that the farms just north of Jefferson are famous for their Jumping Mules they raise. Just a fun fact.

I completely understand your stretching the retirement income.

Do you still do custom cabinetry? I need something to close in a 55" flat screen up at Big Bear and haven't found anything my wife likes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Dude, those winters can be brutal, as in B_R_U_T_A_L. That's why I left Denver. Fuck that. I'll turn on the A/C :D
The front range is mild by comparison to all the other destinations to the north.

The good news though is global warming is here...Wahoo are chasing sand bass and it ain't gonna snow here again. Peyton Manning thanks diesel truck drivers :D

Reactions: BiggestT
Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
So what you guys are saying is that nowhere is perfect, and no matter where you go it's going to be a trade off between cost of living and how desirable that place is to live?

I'm in the same boat. The more $ I make it never seems enough to get over the financial hump and stay there, but you also have to ask yourself where you're going to be happy. Friends and family account for a lot. I'm hearing a lot of self convincing in this thread about how bad CA is and how nice other states are. Take CA for what it is...A really, really nice place to live that's also really, really expensive. Other pastures may be cheaper, but I doubt they're greener.

Reactions: BiggestT and wils
Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Leave So Cal?

The only way that's going to happen is in handcuffs on a Federal Prison bus!!!

There's a sure-fire way to "exclude" yourself from all the ills that plague California.

I have relatives who live in Bishop, Ca. Big-time fishermen and hunters who've lived there for 30 years. After 5 years they all but stopped utilizing the outdoors because as they say, "You can't fish and hunt all the time, it gets boring." He's been with the DWP and she's worked for the school district for years so they are connected with the "normal" people in a town of 3500 which are few. As with all small towns there are limited entertainment options. She jokes about the only thing they have to look forward to is counting down the days till Mule Days. They're both retiring this year, have already bought a house in Murrieta and look forward to re-connecting with society.

Jimmy says never live or retire in a town that doesn't have at minimum a civic light opera. LOL

I guess there's something to be said for a little nearby culture to maintain your sanity. Plan wisely.

Upvote 0
Mar 24, 2010
San Diego
www.biggame90.net
Name
Irv / Mike
Boat
Reports From The Bridge
Arizona got my vote.
Moving in December. Bought a place in Mohave Valley for less than half than what I sold the place in Ramona for.
4 year old home on 1 1/4 acre and a 40X40 shop and a hay barn (soon to become a toy shed for the bass boat pontoon boat and ranger side by)
You ask why the hell there?
Affordable land , less people, business & gun friendly (looking at starting a Gun & Reloading Shop) great hunting & fishing and only 5hrs from San Diego for an annual long range trip. We are looking at 10 acres near Williams AZ it's 2 1/2 hrs. north east We will spend most of the summers there in the camp trailer to beat the heat and hunt in the fall for Elk, Deer, Javalina, Bear, Desert Big Horn Sheep for the Big Game. There are 3 sub species of Quail, Chucker, Turkey (spring and Fall)and some surprisingly good Water Fowl hunting and of course Doves. The fishing is assume Bass Large Mouth & Small Mouth, Stripers, Flathead Catfish to 100lbs+ Trout in the Mountains and little known is that some on the mountain lakes around Payson have Northern Dike planted in them.

So that's my 2 cents worth Hell I hope I haven't convinced too many of you to move
Don't want too many Calafornactors there Fucking up a good thing

see you in the funnies
IRV

Reactions: yellowklr
Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Leave So Cal?

The only way that's going to happen is in handcuffs on a Federal Prison bus!!!

There's a sure-fire way to "exclude" yourself from all the ills that plague California.

I have relatives who live in Bishop, Ca. Big-time fishermen and hunters who've lived there for 30 years. After 5 years they all but stopped utilizing the outdoors because as they say, "You can't fish and hunt all the time, it gets boring." He's been with the DWP and she's worked for the school district for years so they are connected with the "normal" people in a town of 3500 which are few. As with all small towns there are limited entertainment options. She jokes about the only thing they have to look forward to is counting down the days till Mule Days. They're both retiring this year, have already bought a house in Murrieta and look forward to re-connecting with society.

Jimmy says never live or retire in a town that doesn't have at minimum a civic light opera. LOL

I guess there's something to be said for a little nearby culture to maintain your sanity. Plan wisely.

Culture? Right now I have no time to take that in. Check that, the wife and I attended an outdoor Jazz Concert at Cal State Fullerton back in September. Sorta had to after a donation ..............etc. long story.

I seriously could get into living in the Missoula area. Like I said, I'd take up cross country skiing in the winters. I already have a lot of alpine skiing under my belt, but the body is no longer up to handle the level I was used to, like no more mogul skiing. I haven't even hunted yet, so that would be like a virgin playground for me.

And guess what, when I'm bored of fly fishing, cutting wood, mowing hay, remodeling houses, I can always look forward to the Testicle Festival at Rock Creek Lodge:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mt-testiclefestival.html

Yum, yum. If you came up to visit, I'm sure I could get you a tall Kahlua & Cream, wads of cream.LOL

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
The front range is mild by comparison to all the other destinations to the north.

The good news though is global warming is here...Wahoo are chasing sand bass and it ain't gonna snow here again. Peyton Manning thanks diesel truck drivers :D

Aside from those occasional, exceptional cold spells, you are correct > the front range is pretty mild.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Whoa hold on now all you Californians stay in Cali please,you guys have the ocean and perfect weather,no reason to leave.stay there and reap just what you have sewn,just like Detroit.It will crash sometime they will then be forced to cut services and taxes,but with that weather it will come back.no more 200 k a year civil servants,I don't know why anyone would ever leave lol.[/quote]

Reactions: yellowklr
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Arizona got my vote.
    Moving in December. Bought a place in Mohave Valley for less than half than what I sold the place in Ramona for.
    4 year old home on 1 1/4 acre and a 40X40 shop and a hay barn (soon to become a toy shed for the bass boat pontoon boat and ranger side by)
    You ask why the hell there?
    Affordable land , less people, business & gun friendly (looking at starting a Gun & Reloading Shop) great hunting & fishing and only 5hrs from San Diego for an annual long range trip. We are looking at 10 acres near Williams AZ it's 2 1/2 hrs. north east We will spend most of the summers there in the camp trailer to beat the heat and hunt in the fall for Elk, Deer, Javalina, Bear, Desert Big Horn Sheep for the Big Game. There are 3 sub species of Quail, Chucker, Turkey (spring and Fall)and some surprisingly good Water Fowl hunting and of course Doves. The fishing is assume Bass Large Mouth & Small Mouth, Stripers, Flathead Catfish to 100lbs+ Trout in the Mountains and little known is that some on the mountain lakes around Payson have Northern Dike planted in them.

So that's my 2 cents worth Hell I hope I haven't convinced too many of you to move
    Don't want too many Calafornactors there Fucking up a good thing

see you in the funnies
    IRV
    Northern Dike? Well, I'm in :D We checked out that place too. Might still be a winner. Main thing is no long freezing temps.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Culture? Right now I have no time to take that in.

Oh I didn't mean for YOU, I meant for your neighbors mental stability. Imagine settling in only to find out your neighbor is a full on kreeper!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This all sounds great and it will be for several years. The problems come when you get up in age. No access to top tier medical care comes to mind unless you spend all that $$ you saved on medical travel. Eventually, and we've all seen it, isolated eldery end up going full Ma' and Pa' Kettle.

Somehow I don't see you doing that however. I think you'll be more like this...

Upvote 0

Aggro

• Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Mo fugger gonna get shot :rofl:

Upvote 0

Aggro

• Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Dumb shit still gonna get shot. Wearing stuff that looks like a game animal isn't smart with newbs and guns around.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Oh I didn't mean for YOU, I meant for your neighbors mental stability. Imagine settling in only to find out your neighbor is a full on kreeper!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This all sounds great and it will be for several years. The problems come when you get up in age. No access to top tier medical care comes to mind unless you spend all that $$ you saved on medical travel. Eventually, and we've all seen it, isolated eldery end up going full Ma' and Pa' Kettle.

Somehow I don't see you doing that however. I think you'll be more like this...

Too funny. Truth be known, I think I found the Unabomber's cabin.:rockin:

Reactions: 26grumpy
    Upvote 0

ALUMINATOR

Sep 16, 2003
    North San Diego County
    caspsolutions.com
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    27' self built
    Dennis, after I finished that assignment in Jefferson, MO where it got down to -2, they got back-to-back storms. First was freezing rain, followed by 2' of snow on top of that. It halted everything.

I loved (sic) driving across MO after landing in St. Louis and counting the number of cars off in the ditch. I have to be the only Californian who knows how to drive in that stuff.

I learned (Wall Sr Journal) that the farms just north of Jefferson are famous for their Jumping Mules they raise. Just a fun fact.

I completely understand your stretching the retirement income.

Do you still do custom cabinetry? I need something to close in a 55" flat screen up at Big Bear and haven't found anything my wife likes.

I still have my shop set up but haven't been doing much in the way of woodwork. I had a major bout with arthritis in my hands a few months ago and it is tough to pick up a whole sheet of plywood. I can hook ya up with one of my long time employees, good cabinet guy if you don't find what you are looking for.

I look at these pictures once in a while for a reality check, this was that same storm and a picture of the place we want to live.

IMG_0576.jpg

DSCN5908.JPG

DSCN8397.jpg

Upvote 0

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
    May 20, 2012
    Wa
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    18' aluminum
    Culture? Right now I have no time to take that in. Check that, the wife and I attended an outdoor Jazz Concert at Cal State Fullerton back in September. Sorta had to after a donation ..............etc. long story.

I seriously could get into living in the Missoula area. Like I said, I'd take up cross country skiing in the winters. I already have a lot of alpine skiing under my belt, but the body is no longer up to handle the level I was used to, like no more mogul skiing. I haven't even hunted yet, so that would be like a virgin playground for me.

And guess what, when I'm bored of fly fishing, cutting wood, mowing hay, remodeling houses, I can always look forward to the Testicle Festival at Rock Creek Lodge:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mt-testiclefestival.html

Yum, yum. If you came up to visit, I'm sure I could get you a tall Kahlua & Cream, wads of cream.LOL

I just think it's funny a guy in SD that constantly bags on the NW is calling Missoula winters mild:rofl:

Missoula is a college town, I would think you would be more interested in the north side of the lake, Kalispell-Whitefish area. A family friend owns the first gas station on the way into Whitefish , we take trips in winter to ride Big mountain. Theres a lot of money in that Flathead valley. They have brutal winters but it is a beautiful place.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I just think it's funny a guy in SD that constantly bags on the NW is calling Missoula winters mild:rofl:

Missoula is a college town, I would think you would be more interested in the north side of the lake, Kalispell-Whitefish area. A family friend owns the first gas station on the way into Whitefish , we take trips in winter to ride Big mountain. Theres a lot of money in that Flathead valley. They have brutal winters but it is a beautiful place.

Been to Kalispell and Whitefish. The winters are more severe up there and the fly fishing is better down by Missoula. I'm over the alpine ski thing. At my age, my feet scream in pain for the first few days and you still want to do all the stuff you did when you were in your 20s.

Yep, lot of money up in the Kalispell-Whitefish area. We know some of them. We're not the types to hang in resort areas wearing designer jeans and fur coats and driving BMW or Porsche SUVs.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Go up to Mt. Soledad on a clear sunny day,do a 360 degree look and ask yourself that question.
    Just the thought of leaving San Diego makes me home sick.

Im here to stay.

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
    Nov 18, 2008
    Placerville, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    19' Harbercraft
    I still have my shop set up but haven't been doing much in the way of woodwork. I had a major bout with arthritis in my hands a few months ago and it is tough to pick up a whole sheet of plywood. I can hook ya up with one of my long time employees, good cabinet guy if you don't find what you are looking for.

I look at these pictures once in a while for a reality check, this was that same storm and a picture of the place we want to live.

View attachment 550762

View attachment 550763

View attachment 550764

F*ck that Dennis..........are you out of your mind, you have a pretty nice place!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

dweston

May 12, 2008
    vista Ca. USA
    Name
    Duane
    Boat
    yours
    Born and raised in San Diego County and do not plan on going anywhere. Those of you that want to leave, good and take "that guy" with you. Where else can you go to the mountains, deserts, and the beach the same day?. We have great beaches, fishing, close to baja, sports, schools , theaters. Top medical facilities and not to mention easy access to the greatest long range fishing operationsin the world. But hey go ahead and go lol.......:D

Reactions: Simon Bon Bowery
    Upvote 0

ALUMINATOR

Sep 16, 2003
    North San Diego County
    caspsolutions.com
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    27' self built
    F*ck that Dennis..........are you out of your mind, you have a pretty nice place!

Greg, We worked hard to get this place fixed up but the closer I get to pulling the plug I don't think I will look back and be dissapointed. Living in the foothills like you do is a bit different than the busy freeways, surface streets, and the busy life style it takes to be able to afford living here. A small farm and motorhome should give us the best of both worlds. I also look forward to spending the rest of my years with family. The move will also put us closer to the kids in Michigan and my parents if Fla. We still have a few more years here so we can always change our mind. LOL

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
    Jul 15, 2012
    sd ca
    Name
    lj
    Boat
    nomo boat
    St Petersburg Russia. ya good ole Leningrad......only thing that sucks there is the airport mens room!! lotsa fishing water spots, lotsa HOTTER than LIFE babes.....never a shortage of bait.......NO lic required at $55 a year and NO VIETs to poach all the good fish into decline/demise of a shrimp industry either.

Upvote 0