BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
Politics and taxes aside San Diego is the place to be. I've been living in San Diego from the South Bay to North County all my life. I've travelled to 18 countries and most States but you can't beat the weather and really nice people overall. If I were to move I would pick Panama. It was just selected as the #1 country in the world with the most satisfied/happy citizens (the U.S. was 9th).

Reactions: PCH
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
the only thing that sucks in san diego is all the people that came from somewhere else and then vote for the same people that fucked up the places they came from

Upvote 0

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
Lived in SD for 40 yrs moved to az 17 years ago love it here . No B.S. Calif. politics , property taxes are a fraction of what I was paying in Cal. & the hunting is off the charts doing a Black Powder Elk hunt in mid November in 6-A ( Trophy Area ) Yep the summers SUCK but that's when I spend time in SD. All & all SD was a great place to grow up & still a great place to visit ....but to live there now no thanks'. Good luck finding a new state.

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
We are liking the idea of Washington or Alaska. Westport area or Sitka to be exact. Fairly mild weather and plenty of stuff that we like to do. Tax advantages are a plus for our situation. The less we see the kids and grandkids, the more we enjoy seeing them (if that makes sense).

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
SE Alaska was on my list until I heard that the residency requirement forces you to be there during the winter months..... Enjoy the annual check they'll send you for all the extra oil they are jacking out of there......

Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Go to Wyoming in the winter before you decide you like it. The last time I was there in late December it was 30 BELOW. Holy fuck it was cold. It had better have some low taxes with weather like that.

Not sure what the tax situation is like but southern Oregon is really nice. Bend, Ashland, etc. Incredible fishing, good hunting, relatively mild winters compared to the middle of the country. Puts you within reasonable striking distance of the ocean too. They've been getting albies every year up that way.

Me? I'm going to do everything I can l to live my entire life right where I am now.

Reactions: matta57
Upvote 0

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
I think if I were going to retire and was looking for the best in economic advantages (no income tax/low cost of living), being close to the ocean, have a wide variety of fishing styles and species, and close to big game offshore fishing, South Texas is the hands down winner for me. Only bad thing is it is desolate and hot in the summer

Reactions: skipjackrobert
Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
You get what you pay for applies here. I am visiting AZ now where I grew up and can't wait to be home. I couldn't imagine living here again

Reactions: skipjackrobert
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
why do we in California have to pay more taxes to live here? Is it because we will put up with the tax rates....why? why can't we live with and have the government service levels of other states at the same tax rates texas and Arizona have....there is only one reason...it is who u vote for

Reactions: marlyn and slydawg
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
I spent most of my life trying to get to San Diego. I understand the tax issues but man I couldn't imagine leaving. Good luck wherever you go.

I'm just tired of scraping by. We've made decent money for the last 20 years but you just can't get ahead here on "decent" money. Raising a family is expensive. I'm looking at real estate where you can buy a nice house for 75 K, install a solar array to eliminate most of expensive electric bills and stupid low property taxes. I could work at a fucking 7/11 or a gas station and be fine. I'd go crazy but it would be do-able. Worst case scenario.

And..............you can shoot 4 Deer a year on public land!! With hog hunting out the ass.

Upvote 0

rodblder

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
born and raised in Wisc, been in San Diego since 1969, to me it's paradise. you couldn't pay me to leave...........I'm in Clairemont also.....

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
I'd do what my parents did. A road trip. They traveled 10 states and decided on northern colo. If your thinking Texas maybe go travel. Just a thought

Reactions: stuman
Upvote 0

The Piper Lee

Skipper In Training
Jan 4, 2008
Lemon Grove
Name
Duplex Dave
Boat
21' Wahoo
Eastern CO? I grew up south of Denver, moved here in '97. SD is ideal for me, yeah it's expensive but remember that humidity we have about a month ago? Try that shit all summer long in S. Texas, or FL. You'll be running the A/C all the time for sure.
A lot of people move here an complain that they miss the 'seasons', screw that, we have 2 seasons: shorter days and longer days. I know it's been said, but I also know 4 people who sold out and moved to 'greener pastures'. After a few years, when they tried to come back it was impossible to get back in the game (mortgage wise). One guy just left again last week to go live with his son in ND (yes North Dakota)...yikes!

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
What would be your destination? I think I'm ready for a change in the future. Shopping RE in Texas right now.

Kurt
All I can say is go and spend some serious time in a place before you move.
Been living in SE Florida part time for 12 years Condo on the beach and bought some rentals when SD got to $$$ . Its fantastic but leave the beach and it sucks. Can't wait till I can sell what I bought and leave for good!
Have a place in Costa Rica that I love but about 2 months and I'm ready for what only the US can offer.
San Diego is the best place to live that I have ever seen. And I travel a lot and always have the same thought. This is nice ,But SD is HOME!!!!
Good luck

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
I never hear anything about the South, States like Tennessee, surely someone lives there.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Kurt
All I can say is go and spend some serious time in a place before you move.
Been living in SE Florida part time for 12 years Condo on the beach and bought some rentals when SD got to $$$ . Its fantastic but leave the beach and it sucks. Can't wait till I can sell what I bought and leave for good!
Have a place in Costa Rica that I love but about 2 months and I'm ready for what only the US can offer.
San Diego is the best place to live that I have ever seen. And I travel a lot and always have the same thought. This is nice ,But SD is HOME!!!!
Good luck
So what would be your #2 option? Anyplace is cheaper than here.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I never hear anything about the South, States like Tennessee, surely someone lives there.

Colorado is beautiful up against the mountains or back in them. They're nazis about water rights, so you're much more limited on fishing access. Plus is they don't tax pension income.

Texas and Florida are hot and humid during summer. You run the air conditioner constant and shower 3x a day. As la vids noted in FL once you get away from the beach it's bad. Friend from high school moved to FL to work for SeaRay Yachts in Merrit Island FL. He left after 3 years. He said that the kids would not even venture out to play during the summer because of the heat, humidity and the bugs. He now lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Tennessee is a bit far from the true South.

Why don't you look into the Reno area? Or perhaps the greater Boise area. Mountain Home, ID was damn cheap during the recession with new homes going for $100k. Very close to good fishing and hunting. Only about 45 minutes east of Boise. Very hunt friendly state and that is a relatively mild climate, basically desert once you're south of the Sawtooth range.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
If you and your retirement are fully funded there in san diego, why not just consider "vacation property" investment?
The grass aint always greener some place else. Good luck in whatever you finally decide on.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    If you and your retirement are fully funded there in san diego, why not just consider "vacation property" investment?
    The grass aint always greener some place else. Good luck in whatever you finally decide on.

There's a difference between leaving somewhere and being sent away. Kurt is cruising towards the latter.....:D

Reactions: wils and yellowklr
    Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Kurt please don't let any of these people sway your thoughts about leaving........lmao...

Reactions: I'M OFF
    Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate

Bill, now that you've spent a year there in Bend, Oregon, how do you compare it to SoCal?

I've always said there's no better climate than SoCal. The problem is that 23 million others have also figured that out. It's no longer the Orange and Lemon groves I grew up with in the OC. It's paved over solid and now they're starting to go vertical with the living arrangements. Our transportation infrastructure is not suited for vertical development. Hell, we can't provide sufficient water during droughts for the current population. It will only get uglier.

Upvote 0