If you own a Shimano Speedmaster 2...

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    How do you guys like it? My speedmaster 16II seems like it’s really hard to reel with any weight on it. Also just seems like it’s loud and dragging when you reel it.

It went on one five day and caught a few big yellowtail. So this thing isn’t super used and abused. Squidco said it was pretty normal for these reels. I’d like to hear other peoples opinion.

I understand this isn’t a super nice reel by any means. But for 250$ or whatever it was I’m a little disappointed or my expectations were just a little too high.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Secutor54

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    AP
    Boat
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    How do you guys like it? My speedmaster 16II seems like it’s really hard to reel with any weight on it. Also just seems like it’s loud and dragging when you reel it.

It went on one five day and caught a few big yellowtail. So this thing isn’t super used and abused. Squidco said it was pretty normal for these reels. I’d like to hear other peoples opinion.

I understand this isn’t a super nice reel by any means. But for 250$ or whatever it was I’m a little disappointed or my expectations were just a little too high.

I have a 12 and a 16 and love them. I also have a fathom 40 and love it as well.

I’ve never fished a Talica, but from what I understand, the Speedmaster models are a dressed down version of the Talica. I believe the bearings and housing materials are different, which lower the overall production cost of the Speedmaster.

The Fathom 40 feels very similar to my Speedmaster 16 when winding in, but less bulkier. Speedmaster 16 is a bit smaller than the Fathom 40. I’d imagine the Fathom 30 would be pretty similar to the Speedmaster 16 “size wise”.

I do love the ability to cast further with the Speedmasters, over that Fathom 40, though.

Both types of reels, Shimano and Penn, really outdid themselves with bringing these models to market. I feel like both reels are well built. I’ve only used the Speedmasters one season and only time will tell if they hold up like my Fathom has held up.

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    AP
    Boat
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    Also, and I’m only asking because I don’t know what your experience level is. Anyway, I had a buddy fresh to fishing and he bought himself a little two speed Avet SX for local shallow rock fishing in San Diego. Great little reel.

Anyway, I took him out and fished a spot around 90’ of water and he was getting really tired reeling in the line every time he got bit. Long story short, he later came to find out he was fishing in low gear the whole day. It was a two speed reel.

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Also, and I’m only asking because I don’t know what your experience level is. Anyway, I had a buddy fresh to fishing and he bought himself a little two speed Avet SX for local shallow rock fishing in San Diego. Great little reel.

Anyway, I took him out and fished a spot around 90’ of water and he was getting really tired reeling in the line every time he got bit. Long story short, he later came to find out he was fishing in low gear the whole day. It was a two speed reel.
    Sounds like one of my buddies! It feels nice in low gear, but high speed it just ain’t feeling great.
    When I was growing up my dad only bought penns. I’m not the biggest fan of them anymore as I’ve seen enough stupid things break on them.

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    THIS IS ALL AN OPINION; the speed master is a cheap reel in my opinion, I feel a TLd 30 or penn fathom are way better reels to do the same job as the speedmasters. The speed masters are plastic made reels therefore can’t handle heavy loads of drag and pressure. I’ve been on 4 trips where I can tell you every exact moment of those reels went bad. I can also name a number of sportboat captains who dislike the speedmasters for anything but rockcod. In my opinion the penn fathom can handle so much more for cheaper of the price and better in looks if your that type of person.

KXKH

Almost A Member
  • Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    I use to have one, low speed feels great but high speed you seem to feel quite a bit of resistance with the gears meshing together, catches fish just fine however. I'd like to know what are Cal thoughts on this, he also blueprints these Speedmasters II. One of these days I'll give him a call.

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    There may be some confusion here: Shimano used the name Speedmaster a while back for graphite conventional reels, These reels did have a following but have not been made for several years. The name Speedmaster is now used on a new line of cast aluminum reels designed to compete with the Penn Fathom. The new Speedmasters are OK reels. If yours is hard to crank, odds are it has a bad pinion bearing and internal corrosion.

Reactions: jer dog and KXKH

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    There may be some confusion here: Shimano used the name Speedmaster a while back for graphite conventional reels, These reels did have a following but have not been made for several years. The name Speedmaster is now used on a new line of cast aluminum reels designed to compete with the Penn Fathom. The new Speedmasters are OK reels. If yours is hard to crank, odds are it has a bad pinion bearing and internal corrosion.
    I’ll have to open it up. I really doubt it has any serious corrosion yet because it’s so new and was hardly used/rinsed. Maybe a bearing was shit when I got it.

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I use to have one, low speed feels great but high speed you seem to feel quite a bit of resistance with the gears meshing together, catches fish just fine however. I'd like to know what are Cal thoughts on this, he also blueprints these Speedmasters II. One of these days I'll give him a call.
    Yeah low gear seems like a totally different reel and there’s so much resistance in high. Seemed like I was fighting the reel more than the fish at one point.

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    You can fry the pinion bearing if you set the drag too high. And it can take only a tiny bit of saltwater to damage bearings. Your symptoms sound exactly like a bad pinion bearing.

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.

Back to my post of people who buy two speeds but dont know what it does.