CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
I’ll take a look at any jig that Jerry makes.

Really it's Jerry just putting effort into his work. Each jig is sand cast and then sanded by hand for quality control. Tady's are missing a hip these days, 7x jigs are just no longer the same... they have gone to diecast as well. OCTs have a good side to side action... but don't kick.

Ive become a big fan of his JRI4 as a big bass jig and yellowtail jig.

The whole principle of a jig is that you can select one that will move and do something different. Tady best explained it as bait ball. When fish are in a ball, a predator isn't trying to scoop into the mass of them like a whale would. It's looking for a fish to do something different, to leave that bait ball making it easier to pick off and consume one. That's the kick of a surface iron.

Just find a jig that has decently wide hips, offset hips, and has alot of mass to it.

Last edited:

ron2381

salty
Jul 9, 2017
los angeles
Name
ron
Boat
no boat
for bass in the bay its tied between a darksleeper and a swimbait on the underspin for tuna yellow tail mint 25 kicker for rock fish large bucktail with a large curly tail grub on it if i had to choose 1 u can always catch a fish on a medium to large spoon

Last edited:
Reactions: Bchbum54

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
When I was a "pinhead" working the day boats out of Long Beach....I got a chance numerous times to fish with the legendary "old man Tady". He was amazing! Would show up with a couple boxes of jigs.....rejects he would say. It was like elementary school for fishermen. I learned so much about jigs just by watching.him....cast after cast. Being ....young and stupid....I asked him so many questions that summer, his answers were somewhat cryptic. Eventually we became good friends... and he shared a few secrets with that kid. He would rifle through that box....looking for one that was slightly off balance. Said it made the action more interesting to the fish. Got to have "hips" he said. That would make It stand out.... like the weak fish theory. Second was ti make sure the tie eye cut out is round and clean. Also the welded ring. Clean weld....no "slag" . Swimming motion is important he would say..... tying and throwing jig after jig.... just to watch the action in the water. Then he would give the best ones away to the anglers on the boat. It was amazing.....so was he. Never forget those early lessons.... so when it comes to those old style TADY's, or any jig I buy....I always remember those words. One last question. ..have you ever had a common jig that caught even when others of the exact same type and color couldn't? Fish see the difference. So did he!

Last edited:

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
When I was a "pinhead" working the day boats out of Long Beach....I got a chance numerous times to fish with the legendary "old man Tady". He was amazing! Would show up with a couple boxes of jigs.....rejects he would say. It was like elementary school for fishermen. I learned so much about jigs just by watching.him....cast after cast. Being ....young and stupid....I asked him so many questions that summer, his answers were somewhat cryptic. Eventually we became good friends... and he shared a few secrets with that kid. He would rifle through that box....looking for one that was slightly off balance. Said it made the action more interesting to the fish. Got to have "hips" he said. That would make It stand out.... like the weak fish theory. Second was ti make sure the tie eye cut out is round and clean. Also the welded ring. Clean weld....no "slag" . Swimming motion is important he would say..... tying and throwing jig after jig.... just to watch the action in the water. Then he would give the best ones away to the anglers on the boat. It was amazing.....so was he. Never forget those early lessons.... so when it comes to those old style TADY's, or any jig I buy....I always remember those words.
Tady’s jigs may no longer be made quite the same, but their ring brazes are still some of the tidiest in the business!

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Am I allowed to ask where we'll be fishing:D?

In general, I'd go with a Salas 7X. Can bomb that thing all over and cover water. Throws well into a breeze, too.

If at the Coronados, probably an all-white full-size 5X. At La Jolla, I might even go with an old-school Tady A1 light. At Guadalupe, a Tady 14 (not 14A), the big dog.

Also, if you ever see me on the water with just one jig, send help because I've shaken a screw loose!