Tom Honaker

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
This past Sunday we arrived back after a spectacular 3 day trip, only to have a fish sorting incident at the top of the dock. As many of us know, there are desperate folks lurking in the shadows while fish are being sorted. However, this one individual and their friend happened to be first time passengers aboard the RP. Every single person in our group had their limits of BFT, and many us donated fish to those (including the both of them) who were struggling to get a bite. Once the fish sorting was done, 2 of our regulars were each missing (3) BFT. WTH...how can we be missing 6 fish? didn't make any sense......until the culprit was caught in the act trying to walk away with somebody else's fish. It's really sad and disappointing to see after we helped both of these individuals throughout the entire trip. All 6 fish were recovered from their vehicle, which was a victory for my friends and major disappointment on some folks that we initially considered to be "good people". I didn't see this one coming at all since we were buying each other beers throughout the trip and celebrating a fun time. Had they asked for some extra fish, many of us would have graciously donated to them since they appeared to be super nice people. It's really sad, because the embarrassment they faced could had been avoided by asking a simple question..............
Stealing anything from me, is a really good way to get you're ASS KICKED!!! Ask me if if I could give you one, I'd have no problem with that! I'd probably carry it out to your truck for you. Take something from me, were going to be rolling around on the ground until the cops get there!!!

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Such a bummer to have to confront someone about something like this. Agree that the likelihood of a "mix up" is very minimal at best. What kind of excuse did they try to hand you? Man, I can barely imagine taking a hand-off, let alone someone's fish in the round!

Unfortunately, this is incredibly common. Back in my crew member days, we had to guard fish all the time--from catch to hand out at the dock. I've seen guys in wide-open bites start dragging and tagging other's fish, and passengers and "pelicans" alike at the dock were often on the take. Funny thing, one of my old friends, Dave Mason, used to always say, "Stuff like this never happens on the Royal Polaris!" Apparently, it does...

Reactions: Cubeye

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Such a bummer to have to confront someone about something like this. Agree that the likelihood of a "mix up" is very minimal at best. What kind of excuse did they try to hand you? Man, I can barely imagine taking a hand-off, let alone someone's fish in the round!

Unfortunately, this is incredibly common. Back in my crew member days, we had to guard fish all the time--from catch to hand out at the dock. I've seen guys in wide-open bites start dragging and tagging other's fish, and passengers and "pelicans" alike at the dock were often on the take. Funny thing, one of my old friends, Dave Mason, used to always say, "Stuff like this never happens on the Royal Polaris!" Apparently, it does...
I think this happens more often than we think throughout the entire fleet. You're going to have those dishonest folks testing limits of what they can get away with. Thankfully, the RP crew got on them before they actually got away with it. I know they read these boards and have most likely read this thread. With that in mind, hopefully they have learned their lesson and will cease this type of behavior moving forward.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
If I catch a lot of fish I usually give it away to family and friends I just like to keep a little for myself for a year or two if it last that long..

Wade K in deep

Fish 4 Sanity, CnR
Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
Back in the 90's I had a guy try to walk off a Santa Cruz boat with my best rod and reel. I saw it in the nick of time and told the crew. The guy claimed it was his and that I could go screw myself. The Captain showed up, grabbed the rod and asked if either of us had any way of IDing it as ours. I had scratched my initials into the reel and rod under the reel foot as I do with every setup I get. When I said so the guy said "It's his." and turned to get off the boat. The crew told him he wasn't getting off and told me to have a nice day and a safe trip home. I don't know what happened to him but I bet it wasn't pleasant!

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
I had a guy in my last 14 day try to donate all my fish to charity as I was helping push carts up. I was searching all over for them, I had the JP and they wanted pics i couldn't find the damn thing.

He really didn't like me , im unsure why. He did tell me what a shit fisherman I was multiple times.

I informed the captain and he was 86'd from the boat.

I just remeber though 99% of the guys I have fished with are awsome, some have become amazing freinds so it helps me ignore the bad ones.

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Everyone reading this has, at one or more times had something stolen from them. It's not always the cash value that counts, it's the empty feeling you have when you realize someone ripped you off. These guys knew they were stealing. Some people just think they can do whatever they want. To them I say....God created all men equal, Sam Colt saw to it.

Reactions: fishin_kid

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I took a hand-off tuna from Capt. Scott on the Condor a few years ago, and had a tough time using his little Avet reel, which was PINK in color as well as being undersized for the tuna. After the fish was finally gaffed and I handed back the outfit, with thanks, I asked him WHY on earth did he have a pink reel? He said, "That's the only way I can keep my outfit from being stolen."

There's the five-percent flake factor in every situation. One out of twenty people, on average, will be actively looking for a way to take advantage of other people.

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Damn, what a shitty thing to have happen. Glad it worked out...this time. I just bought my first LR tackle box. Used the search function to see what you guys had to say, considered my needs, and came to a decision after some messages with Surfgoose (see post above). He gave me some great details on how he set his box up, and one of those was how he has a locking system to keep its contents safe overnight onboard. My first thought was, "I'm not worried, it's just a bunch of fishermen like me." Then I thought about it some more. Then I read this thread. So, yeah, the old adage, "Trust in God but tie up your horse," is as appropriate as ever.

Reactions: norcaltunaclub

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I had a guy in my last 14 day try to donate all my fish to charity as I was helping push carts up. I was searching all over for them, I had the JP and they wanted pics i couldn't find the damn thing.

He really didn't like me , im unsure why. He did tell me what a shit fisherman I was multiple times.

I informed the captain and he was 86'd from the boat.

I just remeber though 99% of the guys I have fished with are awsome, some have become amazing freinds so it helps me ignore the bad ones.
Hello Joel, hope all is well. Are you back on the AA for the 10-Day after Thanksgiving this year?

Wow, now that's a dick move right there. I've sen you fish so not sure where he came up with your a shit fisherman.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
If you do anything long enough you will see everything. I have faith 99.9% of people are good people. I've had fish disappear at the dock, processor and on the boat. Fortunately it has only been 3 times in 25 years of trips. I do not take it personally. I feel sorry for those folks because karma will get them eventually.

Think positive and positive things will occur...

- Jeff Burroughs

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Sad those scumbags exist among the fraternity of generally really good people who fish long range.

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
I’ve never seen shit like that on a longer trip but I have on shorter trips. Seems to bring out some real shady characters.
especially an open party trip out of some of the landings north! I Call it thug fishing.
that pair deserve to have their asses whooped. I hope somebody steps up and handles the task

bluefinkiller25

Working supports my fishing habit....
Feb 16, 2010
Oakland, Ca
Name
Zach
Boat
Flash/Flash II
There will always be the people that try to get over on other's kindness. We had a couple "unknowns" on one of our charters several years ago, and one of them straight up told a member of our group that they only jumped on the trip because they were going to sell all of their fish when they got home. The next day, a nice reminder about the sale of sport caught fish was posted in the galley by the captain. During a wide open BFT bite, I even witnessed the same guy switch tags on a fish that was waiting to be stapled, but the deckhand had to run to gaff a fish. At the end of our trip I was missing a couple tuna and a wahoo. They probably found the same fate.

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
I've lost track of the times part or all of my catch has gotten lost along the way. This is especially true on party boats and when the fishing is tough. Everything from other anglers, deckhands and bystandards waiting at the docks. At this point I've gotten used to it and consider par for the course and prefer to do private charters and private boats. Gear on the other hand I watch like a hawk since I am not about to loose a grand or more per set up. As odd as it sounds on my phone I have pictures of the boxes (including serial numbers) of all my accurates and avets cause they have attempted to walk away in the past and it becomes one man's worth against a POS. For rods that are not customized remove the but cap and epoxy your name on the inside of the blank. Fool proof way to prove ownership.

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
just realize in this state even if you are caught stealing and arrested nothing will happen to you even if you are prosecuted....

Last edited:

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
WTF.... if anything you went above an beyond.... but what the hell is wrong with ppl. They are not fisherman, but dutch bags.
Hey leave the Dutch out of this..

Should have also reported them to the DFW for possessing over-limits.
I like this idea. Get them a big fine and hopefully have their gear confiscated.

• Haha
Reactions: Rocket Dog

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
In some countries, the thieves would have there hands cut off right then and there. Quick justice.
Agree that these folks are total dirt bags but. I am not sure I would hold up that sort of justice knowing all the other crap that goes with it. I think we have been fighting over in the sandbox for a generation to avoid it.

500BBC

Oct 19, 2007
LA
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
Pics and names, if they steal fish they are stealing tackle.
I had three dirt bags grab my fish on an Albacore trip years ago on a PQ trip out of Morro bay. I was pitching a major fit threatening who ever might have my fish if I caught them, scared the fuckers into handing over the fish.:-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnywalkerred

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Doug,
When I first started to read this I was thinking another one of the rats that rip off fish from passengers. Then I was reading more and to find out it was someone you fished with is a complete looser. I bet his home address is 0000 looser lane just off looser drive in the town of looser. I bet his phone number is 976-LOOSER … Sorry to hear about that guy. 99% of people I fish with are pretty good... then you have the 1% and even less than 1% that takes the sails out of a great trip in the very end.

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Wish you would have gotten their pictures and post them on here. Scum bags

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
What did they have to say when confronted and your guys pulled the tuna out of their truck?

Reactions: SCHeadhunter