Guideoutpost

Big Dave's biggest bluefin
May 26, 2018
Ca
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
I didn’t have to look up the part about Thad’s lost fish, it’s a vivid memory. I’m pretty happy with my, now 3 Avet EX reels: 30/2, 30W/2 and SDS50. But, I do own a Mak 16 and am glad I bought it. So, if that’s a bias, maybe a disclaimer.;)

If you were to jump on a trip targeting only trophy bft. What reel would you bring?

Upvote 0

gingervco1

Almost A Member
May 10, 2007
Costa Mesa-San Jose del Cabo
Name
Josh
Boat
Parker 2120
Would you care to provide us with some back up information to this statement? Or is it just chit chat and a personal preference?

I'm not looking to Bash. Simply looking for some accurate information. Personal experiences would be fine.
Would you care to provide us with some back up information to this statement? Or is it just chit chat and a personal preference?

I'm not looking to Bash. Simply looking for some accurate information. Personal experiences would be fine.

Yes it's only one mans opinion, but my experience with them has been poor to say the least. I had a handle fall the fuck off the reel on brand new MX. The bolt fell through the scupper and reel was done for the day. Their bearings are cheap and need to be replaced often. Had a handle on a -1 year old LX start spinning backwards. The drag lever is way too easy to push past strike resulting in lost fish, and the larger reels weigh and feel like a tank in your hands.

Only thing I use avet for is on a sabiki stick because it's cheap.

There are a lot of hard core Avet guys, but I just don't see it. It's the poor mans fishing reel IMHO, and you get what you pay for. With so many better options out there spend your money on a Penn, Shimano, Accurate or Okuma and you will never look at Avet again.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
If you were to jump on a trip targeting only trophy bft. What reel would you bring?
30W has line marked in 10 fathom sections, so that one for sure. Probably mark the line on the SDS50 and bring that, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats

What do you consider trophy? 300lb SoCal bluefin, I would bring a 50W. Giants anywhere else, your crew would laugh so hard if they saw a Mak30 you’d run for cover. This is business, not personal. So consider this. Captain Greg Norton once told us, a true giant BFT in his view is 1000lb. Try using an FG knot up there in PEI and you’ll rethink every post you ever read. Or wrote.

Reactions: Guideoutpost
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none

What do you consider trophy? 300lb SoCal bluefin, I would bring a 50W. Giants anywhere else, your crew would laugh so hard if they saw a Mak30 you’d run for cover. This is business, not personal. So consider this. Captain Greg Norton once told us, a true giant BFT in his view is 1000lb. Try using an FG knot up there in PEI and you’ll rethink every post you ever read. Or wrote.
Serious question: what happens if you try and FG knot in PEI? Also I saw a vid of a guy trying to use an HXW in PEI, it was a pretty funny fail.

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid

I agree with you if I was fishing the East Coast BFT

I think we are talking about the West Coast San Diego fishery.

Upvote 0

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel

Year. 2005. Country. Namibia. Plains game safari. I told the PH when I got there I am not a trophy hunter. I came to Africa to take some nice animals and see what another country is like. I took 6 animals. In my mind all were trophy's, but 3 actually made the record books. Same difference fishing. I am not after a 2-300# trophy. But I sure as hell am not bringing a knife to potential gunfight. I'm bringing my 50VSX with 600 yards of 130# JBH and my 76 Viper. Good Lord willing I will catch me a blue fin tuna. Never caught one. Tex.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
pair.JPG
I feel one needs at least 2, one for each end of the scale hahaha

Upvote 0

soopaflyjm1

Nov 6, 2012
Las Vegas Nv Clark
Name
J Money
Boat
Reel Fun
ATD 30 is a touch out of my price range with the young family the wife says okay to 500$ but would probably have a fit with the ATD.

It absolutely kills me when you "guys" have to check with your wife and let them tell you what you can do. Grow some balls! I buy what I want I go fishing when I want I'm the boss! I bring home the bacon! aaaand Tuna

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
It absolutely kills me when you "guys" have to check with your wife and let them tell you what you can do. Grow some balls! I buy what I want I go fishing when I want I'm the boss! I bring home the bacon! aaaand Tuna

Well J. Money. If you are actually serious about this statement then you probably won't ever get it. My wife works full time and contributes more than her fair share to the partnership. I always tell her when I buy a gun or reel and what it cost. If for any reason she is concerned with our finances and thinks it is too much I would forego the purchase. I guess I may never grow any "balls". But my wife and kids are probably fine with that.

Good luck on your next trip.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Really, gone are the days of managing your wife by keeping her “knocked up in the Summer time and barefoot in Winter.”:)

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Well J. Money. If you are actually serious about this statement then you probably won't ever get it. My wife works full time and contributes more than her fair share to the partnership. I always tell her when I buy a gun or reel and what it cost. If for any reason she is concerned with our finances and thinks it is too much I would forego the purchase. I guess I may never grow any "balls". But my wife and kids are probably fine with that.

Good luck on your next trip.
Even if she didn't work, it's still a partnership and everything is shared equally, and decisions are made together. California is a "Community Property" state, as is Nevada and Alaska, so by law, everything you own, she owns.

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
B can't stop grinnin'.jpg

Well Lads there are several solutions for you young pups. Mine was to take her on a 12 day and when Justin met us at the dock she signed us up for 2 more 16 day trips and now she just added a 16 day for Nov 2019. We are 72 so won't book much farther down the line just now hahahaha.

Upvote 0

tunaman100

Jun 20, 2010
Garden Grove
My wife really could care less about the money i spend on gear, she knows I'm going to get what i think i need for a trip. She's a stay at home mom with my three young kids. Spending 500-600$ on a reel that will work just fine can afford me to take my family somewhere where we can all enjoy together with the other 500$ I would spend on the Gucci shit. You sir either just don't get it or you're just a Dick plain and simple.

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    My wife really could care less about the money i spend on gear, she knows I'm going to get what i think i need for a trip. She's a stay at home mom with my three young kids. Spending 500-600$ on a reel that will work just fine can afford me to take my family somewhere where we can all enjoy together with the other 500$ I would spend on the Gucci shit. You sir either just don't get it or you're just a Dick plain and simple.

You know a Man by his post. I have to admit to you that I put you on the ignore list and then I realized that the same thing that you do not like about the product is the same thing I do not like, the cost... I have been blessed to catch a 300# plus tuna on an Accurate sponsored trip with the boat’s Accurate reel. At that time they gave your pick of reels up to a 50W. I selected a ATD-50T, which on another Accurate sponsored trip I also caught another 300# fish on it...That 300# reel deal was pulled off the table by then. As far as Accurate goes I learned they have the best drag and feel better than any other reel in my hands. I also know that if i want to use these fine reels I can go on an Accurate sponsored trip, or I can ask the boat to borrow one. Since I have been on the Accurate trip I have got to use many of their reels with great admiration for how they perform. Last June I won a single speed Boss 600 wahoo reel, my best wahoo reel in a long list of wahoo reels I own. Two years back I won a Boss 500N two speed.

I purchased a used ATD-80 from Jack who owns Accurate, a super nice guy. There is nothing like these reels once a fish is on. And if you choose the boat you go on or go on a Accurate sponsored trip the cost is zero to use them.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    View attachment 959566
    Well Lads there are several solutions for you young pups. Mine was to take her on a 12 day and when Justin met us at the dock she signed us up for 2 more 16 day trips and now she just added a 16 day for Nov 2019. We are 72 so won't book much farther down the line just now hahahaha.

That’s a great picture Soup!! Was so stoked she got that fish.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I'm not saying Accurate is not a great product, probably the best out there i just choose to put my family first before i buy extra toys. The reality right now with my young family is i just don't have the time to go on long trips any more.

I know that family comes first, then why put $500 bucks for a reel in your post. You do not need a reel if you are not going on a trip? But if you are going, go on a reel manufacturer trip and save that 500 bucks.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I know that family comes first, then why put $500 bucks for a reel in your post. You do not need a reel if you are not going on a trip? But if you are going, go on a reel manufacturer trip and save that 500 bucks.

Or just save all of the money spent on tackle and rent the rods and buy the tackle package. Takes away the big buy in dollars

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0