Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I haven't heard anyone yet being spooled on a Mak 20.

Load it with 350 yards of 80# solid and top it off with 100# solid or hollow, and 30-50 yards of heavy mono.

Use the 20 for jigs, and if you go 30 or 50, that'll be your kite rig. More line the merrier on that one.

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Thanks for all the info guys, so i started looking around last night and i think i have decided on either a MAK SEa 20 or the MAK SAe 30. Which one would you guys choose?

This is for bigger bluefin you said. Right now, bigger means way over 200 and quite possibly over 300lb. After you hook one you may regret it on a relatively small reel. Reference the "Bluefin fried my MAK" thread :)

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

themacs

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
For $400 a brand new Cal 50 TW 2 speed is the ticket. See the for sale thread on BD. It won't last long. You can then get the spectra from Basil also.

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
i was out on a trip over the weekend a 243 and 245 lbs Bluefin was caught , at no time did I seen any issue with a 20 class reel getting halfway from getting spooled , Set your drag right and you should be fine.

Reactions: Anglewood
Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
This is for bigger bluefin you said. Right now, bigger means way over 200 and quite possibly over 300lb. After you hook one you may regret it on a relatively small reel. Reference the "Bluefin fried my MAK" thread :)
Well Duh , it was a okuma ....:cussing:

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The 20 is basically a narrow 30. I like the extra line capacity of the 30. I have 600 yards of 130 threadlock on mine.

One think you need to consider, is what you will be using the reel for most often. If you anticipate doing some potential cow trips, I like the 30 over the 20. It is also useful for the big bluefin (though I agree I might use a 50). Check Basil's Penn as well and Basil can set you up with braid.

The best price I ever found on reels, is the Fred Hall Show, so if you can wait till the spring, that will save you a few bucks.

Good luck in your shopping.

One of the rare difference in thinking Rich. While 130# Threadlock is one of the smallest 130# on the market (and just 130# and not the other pound Threadlock) It can not compare to 100# JB or Izor in size. A 20 Mak will give you that same capacity with 100# (that breaks at upper 130#). It is easier to cast and control with a fish on.

130# Threadlock is 16 carrier. And while it is easy to work with, it is also easy for a leader to slip out of because the tube is larger and does not compress as well as 12 carrier. Also not as round when packed on the spool.

I am not worried about breaking 100# (130+) spectra with any drag setting you would want on the reel.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    This is turning into the classic "What makes a cow reel?" thread. If you want to be fully prepared to fight one of the bigger BFT that could be out there then you should be looking at a 50 size reel. If you are looking to have the right gear for fish up to 200 plus a little then a new 20 sized reel will do so long as you know you may be outgunned if you hook up to one of the real heavies in the pack. So if you are trophy hunting get a 50, if you want to be prepared for most of the fish out there a newer 20/30 will be fine and be a little more versatile.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    The mak 20 or the avet 30 are both fine. You won't get spooled with either if you set them up with 100# hollow with 100 yds of 130 spliced on top. The avet 50 sds if you want straight 130. Just make sure to set your drag to 28-30 at strike and you likely won't use half the line even on the jumbos. The only time I get nearly spooled was using only 18lb of drag on a jx with 550 yds of 50. I cranked it up to about 30 with the spool getting smaller and stopped the fish. The avet 30 will have no problem doing better.

Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

Big Dave's biggest bluefin
    May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    On our historic TG 80 trip. My buddy Ed lost his first cow on a 30 class reel after a long battle the 100 lb braid broke when the bluefin got tail wrapped.

I think we lost 7 fish due to technical issues. Small assist hooks pulled, chewed off , split rings bent like paperclips, line breaks. It was a glorious battle I will never forget.

If you could buy two reels then get a 50 and a 30

Some smaller reels (30) got hot and I saw them pour ice water on it. They came close to running out of line.

We had 5 hooked up for a time. I had to go over / under a few times. We are not on a private boat where you can fight them solo.
    We also don't back down on the fish using motor.

I wonder how big the tuna we lost were?

I wonder how big they will be next year?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    I wonder how big they will be next year?
    Seems like they are adding about 50lbs/year to me. Next year a 200lber will be a small one, just like a 150 is now, like a 100lber was the year before that and how a 50lber was a year before that. Good times!

When those 100lb "big bluefin" were going stupid at Tanner a few year ago, I thought I'd seen it all....

Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    If you're going for 300lb or bust then you need a 50 size reel. Hell, if I was hooked up to a super, I want my 30 year old Penn 50SW tank. That being said, for general big fish duty I like my MAK20's, over 700yds of 100lb Izorline, lots of drag, castable, light enough to fish for hours, and capable of catching that super cow. But, like I said, I would be wishing I had the big 50 on a super...

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Avets are trash, worst reel out there. Buy a Penn
    Would you care to provide us with some back up information to this statement? Or is it just chit chat and a personal preference?

I'm not looking to Bash. Simply looking for some accurate information. Personal experiences would be fine.

Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    For me an Avet was a necessity, as at the time there were no light weight equivalent lever drag reel on the market that could cast a sardine. I am in the over hand cast club. I have a LX-2, a SDS 50 and a 30/02 and a I found that I had to carry a spare bearing for the LX and bang the side plate on the rail for the 30/02 to cast. Also cranking the LX I found i could not go to full strike without resistance to cranking and at the time was told if you buy a lever drag you have to live with it... I have witnessed the SDS drag issues on a big fish that caused a loss. This was before the Raptor series so did Avet fix these issues? The design is the same. I moved on to reels that are technically engineered better. All those issues that i was told I have to live with are gone...

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Opinions. Avets are not trash. There’s one. Literally thousands of Avet owners perfectly happy with their reels. When used within the proper limits, they seem to perform fine. LX? If you want more drag or don’t want to have to carry extra bearings, they make a Raptor version.

Bill, you didn’t really own an EX 30/02, did you? Wasn’t it the first EX, EX 4/02? Discontinued and replaced by the EX 30/02 for a reason, it’s a better reel. Our friend, Alan Tani, a pretty well respected reel guy did a tutorial on the reel as it was discontinued over ten years ago. If you have a reel that you have to bang on the rail, get it serviced. If it won't perform for you, get rid of it. Accurate made an inline change on the Fury models, second generation is quite an improvement over the first. Happens all the time with reels.

In response to a question: "Do you think the Ex4/0-2 (serviced your way) is superior to a pro 30?"
    Alan replied: "no, however, it should do the job. the 4/0 series was originally intended to deliver 17-18#'s of drag at strike, which means straight 50-60# mono and lots of it! 80-100# spectra and an 80# topshot with 24-32#'s of drag (30-40%) is beyond the original specs for this reel, but it can be modified to achieve this level of performance. the problem is the drag lever. it's pretty stiff when you get to this range."

Having watched Thad's SDS50 fail, your opinion was formed on a single incidence of failure? Or, have you seen others?

Reels, like boats, are going to fail. It happens. Whether it's due to improper maintenance or a lack of that, or even "shit happens" any reel is going to have a failure. Just recently, we saw a Mak16 blow up on a guy. Pretty much state of the art, as is Accurate, but, shit happens. :)

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    You are right... it was the EX 4/02. And it appears you dug up the archive about Thad's lost fish. Personally i do not listen to blanket statements like this... Avets are trash, worst reel out there. Buy a Penn. And i understand since you own some Avets I can understand your bias Steve... We all want to believe we have the best.

But in answer to Kub's question about personal experience with Avet I wanted to share mine. Yes, we all have our biases and while you are on one side of the fence, I am on the other. And that is great...

I also have a personal issue with the Penn VSX 50, but with the new one that came out I see most of those issues are gone and I would be happy to buy the new model. As for Avet I have not seen the design significantly advance with the Raptor or the EX 30/02 to even consider it a contender IMO...

Reactions: dh515 and Tim Turis
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Back when Okuma reels were laughed at I went to the FHS to purchase a replacement for the dismal experience I had with my Penn 50VSX. Every crank would have the gear slip a couple of teeth when there was fish load on the reel. Had Cofe look at the reel and the next fish, same issue... So at FHS i wanted to try something new. Had Avets and you know my issues with them. I asked around and there was this new Okuma Makaira. New tech, thrust bearing, Cal Sheets worked the drag, Tiburon designed the reel but that Okuma name... Damn, I bought a 50 and a 20 Makaira from Charkbait. That June Heat they called me "Okuma Man" and believe me at first it was not a complement but after that trip I wore that name with pride,,, Same goes when they called me "Wild Bill", I put that name on my 300# Red Rooster jacket.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Interesting discussion. It’s hard to say all things are equal and each has a right to their personal preference and bias. Each reel company must improve their quality to remain competitive. Historically Penn was the only thing many years ago. Those old internationals were heavy but it was all we had. Remember the Squidder and Jig Master. Then others like Carl Newell, Accurate, Pro Gear all made them better. Cal Sheets is a master with his blue printing.

Remember how Okuma tried to get into the salt water market and what they realized they needed to do.

All thing mechanical will have problems right out of the gate, especially with a new product. Braided line has made a difference. And the rods and reels needed to change.

So Bill, Steve and everyone else, you all have a right to your opinion, but if there are multiple failures, those companies won’t be around long. And as we test and comment hopefully they will listen and improve there product.

The Long Range boats have their reel sponsors and if they are still making “crap” those boats would not use them.

Also the cost come into play. We all cannot spend over 1k on a fishing reel. Bill, Steve add up what you have invested and it will blow you mind. I estimated mine recently and it was a surprise.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I didn’t have to look up the part about Thad’s lost fish, it’s a vivid memory. I’m pretty happy with my, now 3 Avet EX reels: 30/2, 30W/2 and SDS50. But, I do own a Mak 16 and am glad I bought it. So, if that’s a bias, maybe a disclaimer.;)

When it comes to price, it’s not a cheep sport, regardless of which reel maker we go with. If you’re tied into your fish of a lifetime or at least personal best, and you win, that reel is priceless. I do, from time to time, take a look at the rods and reels and kind of do a quick calculation on cost. My collection is fairly modest in comparison to some. But with a loaner here and there, I seem to get by.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    One of the rare difference in thinking Rich. While 130# Threadlock is one of the smallest 130# on the market (and just 130# and not the other pound Threadlock) It can not compare to 100# JB or Izor in size. A 20 Mak will give you that same capacity with 100# (that breaks at upper 130#). It is easier to cast and control with a fish on.

130# Threadlock is 16 carrier. And while it is easy to work with, it is also easy for a leader to slip out of because the tube is larger and does not compress as well as 12 carrier. Also not as round when packed on the spool.

I am not worried about breaking 100# (130+) spectra with any drag setting you would want on the reel.

Well one could use a FG knot and not a inserted connection for the 130# threadlock

Upvote 0