If you get to the landing tonight missing rods/rod socks

Blabelfish

Aug 10, 2005
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
Bayrunner
I was texted this thread not too long after I hit a slowing on the 5 south, only to find a cork taped section of a rod on the fwy with several other small pieces nearby.

Upvote 0

Y Go Home

Wage Slave
Nov 1, 2005
Name
me
Boat
I once saw a few rods on a fwy connector which were all still intact and drove past them. Got off fwy and went back only to find splintered fiberglass or whatever of said rods.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Sucks!

A buddy of mine lost an expensive set-up on the freeway from the back of his truck. I felt horrible cause I was the one that made/gave him the rod covers. The wind easily catches those plastic type electrical mesh covers even with the tip pointing to the tailgate (especially light composite rods). If you use those type of covers and travel with unbundled rods (on the freeway or at good speeds on the water), learn from our mistake and bundle/tie them down.

I liked and still use the covers, so I made a couple of lengths of para cord, tied small ss clips on each end. Easy and fast to wrap/cinch around the protected rod bundle and clip to truckbed or T-top post. We also use them for troller/kite rod safety lanyards to maximize their value.

Since then... I find myself looking for rods on the 1.5 hour freeway commute from my house to San Diego on fishing days.😁

Upvote 0

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Sucks!

A buddy of mine lost an expensive set-up on the freeway from the back of his truck. I felt horrible cause I was the one that made/gave him the rod covers. The wind easily catches those plastic type electrical mesh covers even with the tip pointing to the tailgate (especially light composite rods). If you use those type of covers and travel with unbundled rods (on the freeway or at good speeds on the water), learn from our mistake and bundle/tie them down.

I liked and still use the covers, so I made a couple of lengths of para cord, tied small ss clips on each end. Easy and fast to wrap/cinch around the protected rod bundle and clip to truckbed or T-top post. We also use them for troller/kite rod safety lanyards to maximize their value.

Since then... I find myself looking for rods on the 1.5 hour freeway commute from my house to San Diego on fishing days.😁
    Thats why I made a PCV tube with a sealable end, and put it inside my Camper shell.

Upvote 0