If I'm Catching, Then You KNOW They're Biting!

Start Me Up Sportfishing

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
I had a rough start this morning when my boat engine wouldn’t run at any less than 2000 rpm, and even at that, it was running rough. I removed the air cleaner and saw fuel dumping out of the carburetor primaries. What the h_ll? Then I saw both idle adjustment screws sitting on the intake manifold. They’d both backed completely out! How can that be? I wonder if I had gremlins messing with the boat last night. Oh well, reinstalled the screws and got going at 6:00.

I’d heard that everyone was fishing outside of the Barber’s Point lighthouse, right on the 1000 fathom ledge, so I headed that way. Arrived at the spot at 7:00 and started zig-zagging upwind then downwind over the 1000 line. Something told me to head further upwind, so I headed in toward the 500. I got half way there, when my long center uprigger went off. Screamer! Once the first run was over, I could feel the weight. Couldn't budge the thing an inch. For about 15 minutes it was a stalemate, until finally I managed to get a few cranks on the fish. Another 15 minutes went by and I started to gain, but it kept taking the line back.

An hour and a half later I had the fish next to the boat. I pushed a harpoon through its gill plate, then crank-winched its head up about two feet above the gunwale. After gaffing the tail, I tried to pull it over and into the boat. No way…just too heavy. (Lesson learned: From now on, I need to bring two winches with me.) At that point I had two options: 1) Drag it back to the harbor, or 2) Call for help. It didn’t seem smart to drag it for an hour and a half and let the meat burn, so I called out for help from a Glass Pros boat passing by. One of them jumped into the water, swam to my boat, and helped me lift the fish on board. Thanks guys! You definitely saved the day!

Might be my largest ahi to date...we'll see. Man, I’m totally spent. I need to drink a beer and take a nap.

Good fishing to you all! Hold onto the big one!

Bumboocha_zps63d7a29a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Nice catch!!! I bought a cheap 7:1 block and tackle with polypro line from Amazon just for pulling stuff in, its Chinese made but with the additions of a few stainless parts and 3/8" rope its pretty solid now, had the same problem last year and it took all I had to get that sucker in....

Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Todd,
Awesome, way to get after and how sweet of the Glass Pros guys to help out. Looks like a beast of a fish, congrats. Glad you figured out your engine issues, that is a little suspicious both screws were out???

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Great Job Todd!!!!! I was out there yesterday and heard you on the Radio call for help to pull the fish over the boat I was at the pinnacle when you called the Black and white boat:) Awesome job my man keep on loading em up!!

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2010
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Name
Phlynn P
Boat
Force 21 Loretta B.
Hey we were the glass pro next to you at the wash. I over heard you and my dad talking about another glass pro came by and helped get the Ahi in the boat. Congratz on that Ahi! Solo fishing must be tough.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
awesome. Look in to a small block and tackle set up to help get those toads over the rail.

Thanks, Mike. I will look for one.

Nice fish!! Good going!!!!!

Thank you, Robert. It was a real treat.

tasty pic rite there got to eat your spinach or just take popeye fishing with you

Mahalo, Mike. Yes, at 55 years old, 5'6" tall, and weighing 140 lbs dripping wet, spinach or even protein shakes and a year's worth of pumping iron aren't going get a big one over the rail without some help. ;)

Nice catch!!! I bought a cheap 7:1 block and tackle with polypro line from Amazon just for pulling stuff in, its Chinese made but with the additions of a few stainless parts and 3/8" rope its pretty solid now, had the same problem last year and it took all I had to get that sucker in....

Thank you, Randy. A 7:1 setup should make it easy. Probably better than the trailer winch that I've been using, which is no more than 3:1. I was thinking that I could use a block and tackle for the head, and a trailer winch for the tail.

Todd,
Awesome, way to get after and how sweet of the Glass Pros guys to help out. Looks like a beast of a fish, congrats. Glad you figured out your engine issues, that is a little suspicious both screws were out???

Cheers
Pat

Thanks, Pat. Those guys went out of their way to stop, crank in their lines, and motor my way to assist. I can't thank them enough for what they did because my only other option was not a good one.

I've been working with GM V8 car (and now boat) engines for more than 35 years and I have never seen both idle adjustment screws back out at the same time, so it does seem suspicious. But after thinking about it for a while, if someone really wanted to mess things up, those screws wouldn't have been sitting there right beneath their mounting positions on the carburetor. Just when you think you've seen it all......

Nice going Todd!

Hey, Mark. Long time no see (and read). Dex will be calling you soon. Break out the wasabi. ;)

Good going!

Thanks, Jeff. I get lucky once and a while. I'll take it!

So awesome!
Todd with the Toad!!!
Congrats!!
Cheers

Heheheh.....thank you, Mark.

Nice catch! Were you able to weigh it eventually?

Mahalo, Russell. I did weigh it this afternoon. It was not nearly as big as I thought --> 190 lbs. My eyes are not adequately calibrated. I guess there's only one way to fix that! :D

Great Job Todd!!!!! I was out there yesterday and heard you on the Radio call for help to pull the fish over the boat I was at the pinnacle when you called the Black and white boat:) Awesome job my man keep on loading em up!!

Thanks, Spencer. Just about everyone I spoke with back at the harbor heard that "distress call". LOL Seriously, though, it should never have come to that. I should either have a crew, or be fully equipped to operate without one.

Hey we were the glass pro next to you at the wash. I over heard you and my dad talking about another glass pro came by and helped get the Ahi in the boat. Congratz on that Ahi! Solo fishing must be tough.

Nice meeting you guys. Yes, things are harder when fishing solo. I think the hardest part is steering the boat while clearing lines and fighting the fish all at the same time. It takes a lot more time when you need to run back and forth between the rod and the helm every time the fish gets out of position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tony489

tman
Jun 24, 2009
Oahu
Name
tman
Boat
kayak
Todd,
That was me who jumped into the water to help you, I am glad we were in the area to help you out! Nice ahi!

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Todd
Nice solo ahi you got there.

Max, thanks for the praise, but it really wasn't "solo". ;)

By the way, when I first saw your boat at the harbor the name intrigued me. MEIJUN?......hmmmm......MEIJUN....oh okay, I got it! Perfect name for a Waianae fishing boat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Todd,
That was me who jumped into the water to help you, I am glad we were in the area to help you out! Nice ahi!

Thanks a million! I have a prime slab of ahi for you in the fridge. Prime cut from the bottom quarter near the belly. Thanks to you, the meat is in perfect condition. Sent you a PM.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Todd, you da man! Good going! Maybe consider a gin pole set up on your boat since you go solo?

Mahalo, Jimmy.

I'm considering several options. Main problem right now is that the galvanized steel pipe holding the winch is only four feet long. In my case, to get a 66" fish over the gunwale, it has to be taller than that. Five feet would probably do the trick, but then the crank handle would be so high that it would be awkward (maybe impossible) to operate. So, either a block and tackle, or a battery powered winch would work best.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Todd,
Congrats on that fatty! I'd have to agree, those guys are tough to get into the boat when fishing solo....great job!

Russ,

Thanks, man. Hopefully this will make it easier. I just finished making an identical second winch. Now I'll have a head winch and a tail winch.

winch_zps7a6f73fe.jpg

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
I like the winch idea. I was thinking about using a 4-5' pipe in the shotgun holder. or maybe a radar arch and weld on a padeye.

Upvote 0

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Todd, awesome job on a nice fish, just gotta catch the small one's and let the big ones go, haha nice job!
hit up jimmy k on some meat hook that you can put rope through the handle makes it easy to "bob" the fish in.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
I like the winch idea. I was thinking about using a 4-5' pipe in the shotgun holder. or maybe a radar arch and weld on a padeye.

That's what I use -- 4 ft galvanized steel pipes which sit in shotgun holders.

Todd, awesome job on a nice fish, just gotta catch the small one's and let the big ones go, haha nice job!
hit up jimmy k on some meat hook that you can put rope through the handle makes it easy to "bob" the fish in.

Thanks, Brian. Actually, I'd be very happy with fish in the 120-130 lb range. Those don't beat the crap out of me. :)

Are you taking about something like this? I took an old ulua fishing slide gaff and cut off the split rings.

MeatHook_zps0e12659f.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0