tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
That's what I'm talkin about. Noted the size of the popper. Chunck is affective if the don't come up. This is the year that tuna act like strupers.

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
Telling everyone who will listen that they are "on the chunk" makes them feel they are experts and are helping the less fortunate in on their "secret". Had one guy last friday say "they want the small baits today", after we had caught 12 on large. I guess we have to give them their moment.

Nice fish. Nice popper. Good job.

bob12201

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 20, 2015
Laguna Beach
Name
Matt M.
Boat
I Wish
Sick!!! What popper is that? I keep seeing people with the HUGE Orca poppers... don't know how people expect to get bit on a lure that's 2-3x the size of the bait. I just got a halco roosta 4.5" popper, the action is insane just need to get into a good bite! Do you do a steady retrieve, stop n' go, or skip it?

Last edited:

The Dr.

May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
Hell Yeah! Heading out on my 3day in a couple weeks. Can't wait to try out my custom wood poppers!

Reactions: fv1500

fv1500

Fishn' Frank
Jul 6, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Frank
Boat
n/a
Hell Yeah! Heading out on my 3day in a couple weeks. Can't wait to try out my custom wood poppers!
How about some pictures? I was thinking of making some as well.

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
So you fed it the "splashy plastic chunk"!

Unforgiven1

It's All About The Tuna
Advertiser
Apr 7, 2004
Redondo Beach, California
Name
Drew
Boat
UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
nice snag

Reactions: c-goat

thrasher949

Nov 18, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 23
The only problem is the small poppers like the halco 80 or 105 dont have any weight to cast them out. Ive tried slow trolling them with dines and working them on top with no luck so far. Which popper is this?

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Good luck on tour 3 day. I'm doing the fresh water popper version at Pyramid Lake for stripers tomorrow. I know, wrong forum and way smaller fish and gear, but just as exciting and even tastier.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
The only problem is the small poppers like the halco 80 or 105 dont have any weight to cast them out. Ive tried slow trolling them with dines and working them on top with no luck so far. Which popper is this?
The trouble is your rod and reel, not the lures.

If a spinning rod and reel (ideal for light lures) doesn't work for you then a low profile bait casting reel with matched rod (ie Abu Garcia Revo Toro etc) will huck them fine.

Last edited:

steveooo

Sep 20, 2005
Brea
Name
steve
Boat
Yak
nice snag
I like jelly beans. FWIW the fish had the front hook in the mouth, back hook in the cheek. Made it nice as I was able to winch him in sideways.

For honesty's sake, when this was taken I had already pulled out both hooks and put the popper back on the rod, and then decided it was worth a pic. Placed the popper back in the obvious hole, but didn't want to go through the trouble of placing the front hook back in the mouth, as we still had fish crashing around the boat.

Reactions: POPEYE-SCOTT

The Dr.

May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
How about some pictures? I was thinking of making some as well.
I don't make these. They are made by my friend in Sacramento. You can see his work on our facebook page "The Bomb Squad". The brand is called Delta Wood Bombers. Mainly specializing in wood walking plugs for stripers and bass. But, his tuna poppers are off the hook! Can't wait to try them out.