If HB is very slow or dead, what will happen on an 18 day trip.

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    So a group of us are scheduled to go on the RP for 18 days leaving Jan 20.

Besides the recent reports from the Intrepid trip, how can we tell what is happening down there? Is there a site other than here and Sportfishing Reports to get info?

If it stays dead, then what? Is the Lupe an option? (Would love that.) Is any of the baja coast open? I heard the Jaime bank off Cabo has big tuna right now, can the RP go there?

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Perhaps a proxy might be to look at the Let's Talk Hook-up 15/12 day trip that's out right now on the Royal Star. They're starting it off with pretty good fishing at Guadalupe...

Coming off of a fantastic 11-day trip that saw essentially limits of tuna, dorado and wahoo, I'm not sure I'd be too disappointed in hearing that we wouldn't be headed to Hurricane...

Either way, good luck on your trip...

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The best and most logical advice.

Only got to fish with willy one time. 3 dayer. One casual comment that stuck with me. (the cream always rises to the top)

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Yes and yes but lr boats take up allot of space.

I boated the rp from pv. For clip. That was awesome. Kinda cool my personal best came from PV before the the trip.

A long list on what could happen. But you will probably get a laughing stomach cramp from Roy. Because you have humor

In good hands.

Upvote 0

italian/chef

Almost A Member
    Nov 7, 2010
    santa barbara
    Name
    pietro
    For me it would be the first 18 day trip, and what I’m looking for from this trip is knowledge, and, if I get lucky, I would love to go home with at least one BF over lb200!!
    ; )

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Presently the game at the bank is beat the shark. 50-70# tuna if you can grind them through the hordes...

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I was on an 18 day that went to PV on the Supreme. Plenty of time there. We fished Cleophus bank (El Banko?) Reminded me of fishing HB alot. Its a small bank,anchor fishing, same drill.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Choater sent me a PM last night and the Big X which is on a 16 day trip is headed to the Lupe as the fishing at HB really sucked!... not sure how long they will stay as their trip is scheduled to return to SD on the 9th. Perhaps they can try the CA BFT grounds if they leave the Lupe after the max stay? Been reports of some Wahoo at the Lupe as well... no real numbers as usual though.

G

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    On my 15 day on the Red Rooster last March, we went to Hurricane for very slow fishing. A few big ones were caught, but several guys on the boat caught **nothing** at the bank. We left early and travelled north for some wahoo, then yellowtail, and finally local bluefin. We ended up with an OK trip. In the end, I think there was still one guy with no fish.

Upvote 0