If anyone is willing please give me some tips on slinging iron

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips' started by Nuttt, Oct 14, 2018.

1. muymacho74

muymacho74 Surface Iron Maniac

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Well I hear the point you are trying to make and I can see where that may come into play in your industry. However, in the 30+ years that Ive been on sportboats, throwing Iron, and teaching anyone willing to learn (on and off the boats) Ive never heard any Captain, Deckhand, or Jig guy tell anybody to learn first the things you mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Danielcraiggen

Danielcraiggen Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    PROLINE 26 SPORT
    I would recommend you Tom's Catch - Deep Sea Fishing. This is the website... https://www.tomscatch.com/blog/deep-sea-fishing/

3. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    It's not that hard to learn, but practice is key. Game time is not the time for practice, because when the Yellowtail are boiling so is your adrenaline. The best place to practice is at the dock in Spring. Wet your line first as a dry line will always backlash. Pick out your target, then turn back to keep your eye on the jig. This will greatly decrease the chances of hooking someone, and you're not going to miss the water. Then gently swing the jig toward the rod and pendulum the jig to the top of your arc and release. The swinging motion is key, this isn't the rod between your legs so there's no need to jerk it. It helps if you imagine a rope in the air you need to cast over, a good arc will increase the distance vs. a more direct cast. The technique is way more important than strength. Practicing in the bay will also help you refine your retrieve to allow your jig to swim correctly.

swami 805 likes this.