RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    One and done for me this evening but damn it was nice to be on the boat solo, first set one small so off to a new spot and last "Hail Mary" pull I came up with proper bug.

025BDE4D-403A-44A8-BE45-150D3489AC40.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

The Pono

Jun 26, 2018
    Texas
    Name
    Mark Christensen
    Boat
    was the Konagold
    I would highly recommend the book Hoopin' it up! This is a must read, plus it has pictures for the El Cajon Types! All jokes aside Jim does a fantastic job explaining techniques which will most likely increase your catch ratio.

Can't fix a shitty crawl however!

MC - Konagold out!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Ok, This is my first year hooping, Thanks to anyone who responds!! BD rocks!

You have to understand how all of the following can impact you and/or the lobsters each night: Tide (high/low & SLACK & incoming/outgoing & height), Sunset/Sunrise yes sunrise, moon phase & moon rises & moon sets, wind speed, barometer, hooping location both general and exact, water clarity, red tide, water temperature, SWELL size & direction, TIMING (when to let the nets sit longer and when to put the peddle to the metal and not stop pulling until you get limits or they stop crawling), and IMO the most important . . . know your surroundings above and below the water line. With 50 years of diving you should be able to pass the test for "below the water-line", now just apply your 50 years of "below the water-line" knowledge accordingly above. Simple! John.

Upvote 0
    Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks, do you use tidal coefficient too? I look for all of the above, moon phase, tidal flow, incoming,outgoing, swell not so much, being in the bay, but how do you know when to pull quicker? I plan on diving too, and see what is going on. THANKS!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Thanks, do you use tidal coefficient too? I look for all of the above, moon phase, tidal flow, incoming,outgoing, swell not so much, being in the bay, but how do you know when to pull quicker? I plan on diving too, and see what is going on. THANKS!
    Joe, I use everything available! John.

Upvote 0

Ggiannig89

Jun 17, 2009
    san diego
    Name
    Gianni
    Boat
    1988 Calibogie
    I’d rather my local bay not be littered with cinder blocks, toilets. Making one habitat has potential to ruin another habitat. It wouldn’t be the end of the world but that’s my .02

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    I’d rather my local bay not be littered with cinder blocks, toilets. Making one habitat has potential to ruin another habitat. It wouldn’t be the end of the world but that’s my .02
    cinder block isn’t as bad as most of the crap that ends up in the ocean. They use cinder block and quarry rock and other stuff for artificial reefs, so it can’t be that bad if DFG uses it...

Last edited:
    Reactions: dalurker and FloMar
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Being a surfer/Fisherman I vote you keep your cinder blocks and toilets on land where they belong, There’s enough shit laying on the bottom of the ocean, let’s start talking about clean up and conservation not adding to the problem!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    cinder block isn’t as bad as most of the crap that ends up in the ocean. They use cinder block and quarry rock and other stuff for artificial reefs, so it can’t be that bad if DFG uses it...
    Many years ago straight out in front of mdr breakwater they stacked old cadillacs and it’s still called Cadillac Rock. Some train boxcars out in front Torrance Beach is called Boxcars. There’s 100s of them and I’ll stop there. John.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Many years ago straight out in front of mdr breakwater they stacked old cadillacs and it’s still called Cadillac Rock. Some train boxcars out in front Torrance Beach is called Boxcars. There’s 100s of them and I’ll stop there. John.
    It’s like Izors reef in LB is made from old military surplus barges, I believe San Clemente Reef (Pendleton) is partially as well. I know Newport reef is made of rock and rebar, like I said, there are much worse things that end up on the bottom than some cinder blocks and toilets (where you’d get enough toilets to make a reef is beyond me but everyone has their ways...) but I’d use cinder block before I used toilets anyway since it’s about $1/block at Home Depot vs $100+!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    It’s like Izors reef in LB is made from old military surplus barges, I believe San Clemente Reef (Pendleton) is partially as well. I know Newport reef is made of rock and rebar, like I said, there are much worse things that end up on the bottom than some cinder blocks and toilets (where you’d get enough toilets to make a reef is beyond me but everyone has their ways...) but I’d use cinder block before I used toilets anyway since it’s about $1/block at Home Depot vs $100+!
    Years ago I was fishing on the original Del Mar with captain Porter, we were on the hook fishing Sculpin, limits, pulled the anchor and up came a toilet from a reef of toilets ahhhh but in the toilet was a 20 pound Octopus. MMMMM! The toilet looked brand new! Over the years I’ve learned shopping carts are also valued as reef pieces. People can get quite creative when they want to. Not in any way saying I support it, just chiming in.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Years ago I was fishing on the original Del Mar with captain Porter, we were on the hook fishing Sculpin, limits, pulled the anchor and up came a toilet from a reef of toilets ahhhh but in the toilet was a 20 pound Octopus. MMMMM! The toilet looked brand new! Over the years I’ve learned shopping carts are also valued as reef pieces. People can get quite creative when they want to. Not in any way saying I support it, just chiming in.
    That’s a good one. I wasn’t accusing, just stating. Those octopi can wedge themselves in some pretty small little spaces, it’s incredible where I’ve found them!

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    This went off track.
    Never seen that happen here.
    Well if you tired of fishing and you want to start catching.
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    You never have to suck again.
    Unless you want to.

Upvote 0