tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Ok, This is my first year hooping, I have been diving 50 years, grabbed a bunch of bugs. Hooping has been hit or miss! SD bay, I have easy limited, (early in the season), and been skunked the last 2 times. I use fresh dinos, cut, in PVC tubes, sometimes with sardine lube or cat food. Depth shallow, or up to 60'. First soak 1.5 hours, 40 min after. Seems I have better luck with more traps, (a friend along). Any suggestions to improve? I understand all the cheap shot guys will attack my mother, my grammer, my....but
If I can get more bugs in San Diego,well, OK. Any tips? I am not a spaz, but getting skunked 2 trips has me thinking. The ocean is dominated by commercial guys, but the bay(s)? Maybe it is getting tapped out? Thanks to anyone who responds!! BD rocks!

Reactions: FloMar

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
We only got two last night but had lotsa laughs. It’s fishing bro, head out with High Hopes low expectations and just enjoy the evening!
Perfectly said, and bring a couple PB&J sandwiches to kill the hunger.

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
Sounds like you're doing it right.

As I say about so many things ....... Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.
Get a couple keepers and you will keep going back to spin the wheel.

Reactions: castone001

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Its has slowed down considerably.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Start trying different spots with maybe half your hoops, look for structure on your FF and place your hoops up current depending on the tide and maybe you'll find a new honey hole. Its been tough out there lately but after a couple of skunk trips it makes you appreciate those 1 or 2 bug nights a lot more!

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
since you're a diver, MAKE YOUR OWN lobster housing structure! then NEVER hit it when people are around...
4" clay sewer pipe, toilet tanks, etc.

keep it in a place where other structures are nowhere near so the bugs will have a "truck stop" to reside in when they make their move. they'll eventually find it...

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
OMG dalurker-killer idea. I see structure making in my future.

Reactions: dalurker

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Thanks for the helpful ideas. I do have a good time, music and shrimp coctails, and I am certainly not giving up! I may take a stab at mission bay, probably less pressure! I have a friend who chucked out some large square safes in a harbor up north years ago, they fill up with big bugs every year! (I cannot pry the numbers out of him!) I certainly like reading if there are still areas producing around here! Thanks!

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Last-minute solo mission in Long Beach tonight , Mario “Nachos helper” owed me some bait for carting him back-and-forth to the barge from his car, havent used Deans this season as I’ve I’ve been cleaning out my freezer or catching macs hopefully fresh works better. And to the Op, it has been significantly slower in Long Beach this season also I started a thread about it a while back, keep trying...if we Filled the boat every trip it would take the sport out of it!

DDA33306-20F2-4F95-B1E8-F1FD64675CB9.jpeg 97BB71C7-1AFF-4000-A8C7-38A186CD063B.jpeg

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Ok, This is my first year hooping, I have been diving 50 years, grabbed a bunch of bugs. Hooping has been hit or miss! SD bay, I have easy limited, (early in the season), and been skunked the last 2 times. I use fresh dinos, cut, in PVC tubes, sometimes with sardine lube or cat food. Depth shallow, or up to 60'. First soak 1.5 hours, 40 min after. Seems I have better luck with more traps, (a friend along). Any suggestions to improve? I understand all the cheap shot guys will attack my mother, my grammer, my....but
If I can get more bugs in San Diego,well, OK. Any tips? I am not a spaz, but getting skunked 2 trips has me thinking. The ocean is dominated by commercial guys, but the bay(s)? Maybe it is getting tapped out? Thanks to anyone who responds!! BD rocks!
Why don't you dive down and selectively place your traps near the caves/holes etc

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Salmon heads seem to be a hot item this year. I’ve used Macs, salmon heads, dines, and heads and carcasses seem to work the best. I’ve also found that the wire cages work better for scent dispersion, I’ve been testing this the last couple times we’ve been out. But overall, just have fun and enjoy it, you could be sitting in Nebraska landlocked in a blizzard.

Reactions: RodRage

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Keep at it! Out tonight we have 10 legals so far in 2 hours of pulling our hoop nets. We now have 11 legals, changed spots dropped 5 nets with hope of 3 more, we’ll see? We got 2 more legals so we ended with 13 legals, not for lack of effort, full report tomorrow.

Last edited: