G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I brought the boat home and I am going to add hard cabin. Also looking to improve access to rods. I have rocket launcher hanging off the back end of the roof, but my cabin is raised up about 7" higher than the fishing platform. There is a built in tackle storage in the center. The roof is so high that most people cannot access rods. I do it by stretching from the helm level, but I'm 6'1"....

I have searched a lot of images, but don't find anything yet...

Any ideas how to get the rod holders lower? Goat? Bite Me? Have you made one in this application?

IMG_4941.PNG

Ugly Bayliner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
Not too hard to lower those or add a lower set, I did something similar a few years ago for Fishin' Luhrs. Some 90deg. Bent tubing over the edge and drop it as low as you want.

IMG_2673.PNG

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Not too hard to lower those or add a lower set, I did something similar a few years ago for Fishin' Luhrs. Some 90deg. Bent tubing over the edge and drop it as low as you want.

View attachment 821493
Thanks! I was thinking maybe that, but was concerned about the flex from the weight of 15 bouncing rods... obviously not an issue...

Grady226

Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
On some Grady's I have seen the flat bar that mounts to the hard top have a drop down bent or welded in to lower them.

Reactions: goatram and G-Spot

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
On some Grady's I have seen the flat bar that mounts to the hard top have a drop down bent or welded in to lower them.
.I just made a set like this for Doug Dennis St. James for his grady.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
.I just made a set like this for Doug Dennis St. James for his grady.
Got any pics? Like to see
How it was done.... mine has flat bar mounted now, and I don't have a tuna tower with tube like the on Bug posted... Any pics of the installed launcher would be awesome!

FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
Jul 20, 2010
Oly, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
27 Raydanie Pilothouse
Nice boat , yeah just a dropped row, match the existing material ....my ride is the same , I'm the only one that can access the top row without someone stepping up on the gunnel.

Kind of like it that way

goatram

Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
I will ask. They were mounted on a 3" flat bar. 6 rod holders on each side of the roof.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
I will ask. They were mounted on a 3" flat bar. 6 rod holders on each side of the roof.
It is 1/2" x 3" flat bar, front row goes over, back row goes under, to make make one row slightly higher and they are staggered. It was mounted to the underside of the top.

IMG_4947.JPG

Clockwork

Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Here are some pics of the launchers that came on my marlin. I'm scrapping these and making my own but he had the right idea of getting them down to a reasonable height. Still on the high side though if you're on the deck but can't go any lower cause the helm is raised like yours.

I've never really liked double row setups even though they look nice. I'm going with a single row that will wrap around the the back of the top.
20170211_100451.jpg
20170211_100441.jpg

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Here are some pics of the launchers that came on my marlin. I'm scrapping these and making my own but he had the right idea of getting them down to a reasonable height. Still on the high side though if you're on the deck but can't go any lower cause the helm is raised like yours.

I've never really liked double row setups even though they look nice. I'm going with a single row that will wrap around the the back of the top.
View attachment 821583 View attachment 821584
Since I have the large built in tackle center right in the middle you can't pass through the center, you must go left or right. If I lower it and leave it same width, you will rack you skull when heading out of the raised helm. I think I will make it narrower, and drop it down 6-8" maybe as much as 10".... if I turn the flat bar up at a 90 degree, Incould then put a 45 degree brace to stiffen the drop. Then at the top turn it back at a 90, so it hangs off the top like yours. Thanks!

goatram

Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA

John this the 2 holders I made for Doug. They are pinned 10" holders that are cut to a 20 deg. And then welded to a 3" flat bar.. he mounted it to each side of his top. Climb up on the gunnel and grab the rods and pass them down.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Grady226

Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White

John this the 2 holders I made for Doug. They are pinned 10" holders that are cut to a 20 deg. And then welded to a 3" flat bar.. he mounted it to each side of his top. Climb up on the gunnel and grab the rods and pass them down.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Not like that.......On a Grady!

Clockwork

Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Here's what I did for my last boat. Same problem, middle rods were hard to get to. Double row would have made it worse so I made some that mounted to the top around the sides.
11072835_10206646394456101_8238461934804980254_o.jpg

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
My issue is less about rod storage while under way and handing them down when it is peaceful and calm. My Grady's were high, but this is real high. In my upper deck (helm) there is 6'9" floor to ceiling height, but it puts things way up there... from the fishing deck another 7-8" lower it's way up there.

I troll with 7-9 rods, and 4-5 people, when rods go off we need some guys to grab the fish rods, others to reel in and stow the other rods and then grab jig and swim bait rods and go to work. I don't like my rods layer all over the place to get beat up or worse.... I need people to access rods and be able to put them up.

I think a version of what Goat did with bent or welded flat bar to drop it down should make it more usable.

Meanwhile

Dec 13, 2005
Warren, Oregon
www.meanwhilecharters.com
Name
Randy Kane
Boat
2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
Here is mine. It is a pain to get the middle rods. It used the same bolt holes the stock rod carrier used.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White Marlin.

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
Check out the Rod Gaff on Charkbait. It's made to reach rods that are up in rocket launchers.

A little pricey for what it is but you could fabricate your own pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk