clubhunter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I have saltwater fished my whole life but have not had the opportunity to go on one of the long range fishing trips out of San Diego. I will be planning on making annual trips starting next year. Right now I am at the stage of getting rods and reels together to make trip with. I have the Mak 30SE, Accurate BX2-600, and an Okuma ANdros 5II. I am ordering today the Mak 10, 15 and 20. To cover trips in lengths of 5-15 days, what else am I missing? Would I need an additional Mak 10 and 15?
I also build my own rods. I have only finished one and it's the Calstar GF770XXXH. I am presently leaning toward staying with the graphiter series for the rest. How would you set it up if you could start over knowing what you know today?
Thanks for the advice in advance!

hydro

Nov 10, 2010
In the mountains
Name
Dan
Boat
I wish
Rick,

I am in a similar situation where I have never been on a long range trip and am about to make my first. I had similar questions regarding tackle. I was advised to buy very little tackle before my first one or two trips and use the boat gear or choose a trip sponsored by a specific tackle manufacturer. This gives you the opportunity to try out different rods and reels to see what you like, see what other fisherman are using, and then you can make your purchasing decisions. I think the advice I received on this was pretty smart and it made a lot of sense to me. Think about it- if you had never been to Florida but wanted to buy tackle for snook, tarpon, redfish, etc you would buy a lot of the "wrong" stuff and end up replacing it after a year or two with what you really wanted. Best of luck on your future trips!

shellback

Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
if i had it to do over again, i would rent or borrow gear until i found what woked best for me. the mess of equipment in my garage ( conservatively 30K$ worth) would be evidence of that.
as an individual, no one else can tell you what works best for you.
time on the water on long range boats with guys that will let you fish with thier gear will really help- ask the shops to test drive gear before you buy.
CAVEAT EMPTOR

shellback

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
How would you set it up if you could start over knowing what you know today?
Buy the best you can afford without spending so much you fish less, experience on the water is way more important than tackle. (SD long-range fishing is quite different than anywhere else!) The follow up on that is that SD tackle is different than anywhere else too. Read everything you can, ask lot's of questions, be very skeptical. Advertising permeates everything and has a goal of getting you to spend money without regard to what's best for you. GO SLOW!

Accept that you will follow the standard learning curve:
-I don't know anything
-This is easy and I know everything
-I don't know anything and this is harder than I thought
-Now I understand Hemingway's Moveable Feast and how do I sell the stuff I'm never going to use again

Good luck!

phantom1

Dec 5, 2004
Al
Name
Bill
Boat
N/A
if i had it to do over again, i would rent or borrow gear until i found what woked best for me. the mess of equipment in my garage ( conservatively 30K$ worth) would be evidence of that.
as an individual, no one else can tell you what works best for you.
time on the water on long range boats with guys that will let you fish with thier gear will really help- ask the shops to test drive gear before you buy.
CAVEAT EMPTOR

shellback
Buy the best you can afford without spending so much you fish less, experience on the water is way more important than tackle. (SD long-range fishing is quite different than anywhere else!) The follow up on that is that SD tackle is different than anywhere else too. Read everything you can, ask lot's of questions, be very skeptical. Advertising permeates everything and has a goal of getting you to spend money without regard to what's best for you. GO SLOW!

Accept that you will follow the standard learning curve:
-I don't know anything
-This is easy and I know everything
-I don't know anything and this is harder than I thought
-Now I understand Hemingway's Moveable Feast and how do I sell the stuff I'm never going to use again

Good luck!
This is this is GREAT ADVISE.... So many of us continue to swap in and out of gear or own enough to start a small tackle shop. You will find the most guys on these trips are very willing to lend a hand, Knowledge, Gear, and yes BS. IF you are compelled to purchase I would look at several of the boats tackle list, and go with the very minimum. You can easily use reels for multi lb class. Top shots are cheaper than reels. Also today you can pick up some great second hand,nearly new gear on the web.

IT can't be stressed enough SLOW AS YOU GO.....

Best of luck .

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I appreciate your feedback. If I go through the trial and error process and only having once a year to experience this, it would take sometime to get that knowledge. That's why I posed the question on this forum. I have about a dozen video's and Bill's book. The boat web sites as far as tackle seem to be outdated.
I have the money now to invest which might not be the case in the future. Just looking for some updated expert advice from you guys who fish more often. Thanks

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Check out Brandon Hayward's books, Getting Bit and the Complete Angler.

You have a fine start there, but I would avoid buying a bunch more, come try it, ask lots of questions on the boat, and then fill your quiver out. Pick a trip sponsored by a reel company: Accurate, Avet, Daiwa, Okuma, Shimano, etc. Usually some loaner gear on those, try them out and make your decisions.

teamr2

Sep 28, 2011
pensacola, fl
Name
james thomas
Boat
Various
I've only been on one 10 day trip but one thing that stood out to me was having a longer rod built with a lighter tip but with a ton of backbone to be able to cast my bait a decent distance away from the boat during a pick bite for cows. I live in Florida so I just brought all my heavy trolling rods. While they had plenty of muscle, they were worthless when it can to casting a live bait. I'd probably pass on the roller guides as well if you are going to go with braid. Only other thing I can think of is getting yourself one of those SKB tackle boxes. I bought one at charkbait right before the trip and it is a super heavy duty box that really helped me get organized. Good luck and like you, I plan on going on one long range trip a year. They are without a doubt one of the best bang for the buck trips on the planet.

rockfish123

Jul 6, 2011
Pleasanton
Name
Stan
Boat
None
Just think, if you buy all the reels you "need" now, what would you buy every year leading up to your trip? That's one of the best things about yearly fishing trips, the anticipation..running out and getting one or three new rigs to try out for that year's trip.

STAN

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
With all the terminal tackle that I'll have to buy, I am sure I will have to buy a lot of last minute things.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hello Rick,

I will attempt to answer your question. The insights given so far are wise indeed. Trying out something before you buy is the best way to go...

Please remember 5-15 days is a big range! Gear selection is all about your personal style and preferences. So everyone has an opinion. I am a miminimalist. That being said, below are some sensible recommendations for what you already have and might need. Their is really no end to what you can buy...depending on your tastes and budget.

100/130 lbs bait.............Mak 30SE + Calstar GF770XXXH
80/100 lbs bait.............Mak 20 + Calstar GF770XXH
50/60 lbs bait..........Mak 15 + Calstar GF700XH
40/50 lbs heavy jig...BX2-600 + Calstar GF700H
40 lbs bait.............Mak 10 + Calstar GF700H
30 lbs bait.............Andros 5II + Calstar GF700M

These 6 set-ups will keep you covered in 95% of all 5-15 day situations. Just change the top shots as needed. From here you can begin acquiring back-up rigs starting with 40, 50, & 100 lbs.

Purchase slowly, ask many questions and try to get your hands on as much gear to demo before you buy!

Welcome to our addiction...

- Jeff Burroughs

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I've only been on one 10 day trip but one thing that stood out to me was having a longer rod built with a lighter tip but with a ton of backbone to be able to cast my bait a decent distance away from the boat during a pick bite for cows. I live in Florida so I just brought all my heavy trolling rods. While they had plenty of muscle, they were worthless when it can to casting a live bait. I'd probably pass on the roller guides as well if you are going to go with braid. Only other thing I can think of is getting yourself one of those SKB tackle boxes. I bought one at charkbait right before the trip and it is a super heavy duty box that really helped me get organized. Good luck and like you, I plan on going on one long range trip a year. They are without a doubt one of the best bang for the buck trips on the planet.
I have already been thinking about the rod actions. The rod seems to be a critical component and I was hoping to get a lot of feedback on this. The SKB tackle boxes are nice looking. How does that ride on the plane?

phantom1

Dec 5, 2004
Al
Name
Bill
Boat
N/A
The SKB tackle boxes are nice looking. How does that ride on the plane?
They are a great box and will protect you terminal tackle as well or better than most. The two down side as I see it one is the weight. If you are to fly with it that is a major disadvantage trying to keep you bag under 50#. Second is the hard case mainly the lid hard to access on most tackle spots on the boat unless your one of the first to load. Also the weight is a disadvantage if your going to ship your tackle bag in advance. Most guys tend to go for the soft sided bags like WFO etc...

NorthShore41

Jul 19, 2010
Mo Town, CA
The general mistakes that I made in getting myself ready for my first long range trip last year and in general with saltwater fishing was starting cheap. You didn't make that mistake by the list you gave. My second mistake was not having a purpose for my rod and reel. Have purposes for them i.e. Yoyo, 30# bait... you will find plenty of lists of needs on the boat websites. The last one I am still dealing with is not having enough friends to borrow stuff from so that I can try before I play. Don't believe hype, don't believe most people working in a shop bigger than oh say 5000 sq. ft. Go to fred hall, talk to all the tackle manufacturers, find a friend that has the same fishing temperment and style as you do and figure out what they use. I am a little agro and like to horse fish around and get my PT on. Some people are finesse fishermen, some play the smart odds, some play the minority odds. One Wahoodad was dropper loop fishing looking for something fun at Cedros while my A.D.D. ass was yoyoing for little guys like the rest of the herd. Do your own thing, make the experience yours, and don't buy too much stuff right away. Good advice earlier here and much more I am sure to follow, the following are my humble experiences, limited as they are

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
STOP BUYING RODS AND REELS!

My First trip was a Fly down/back out of Cabo on the Royal Star 12 years ago. I HAD NO RODS OR REELS. I read the tackle reports and I showed up with all my clothes and a tackle box. THAT WAS IT!

For a rookie virgin, I hammered the fish. I had already amassed 25 years of Salt water fishing and had competed VERY WELL in the Bas Fishing tournament series, so, lack of skill was NOT the issue.

The ONLY issue that I had was learning. HOLY SMOKES WAS I TAUGHT SO MUCH! The crew? THROUGH THE ROOF AWESOME. The passengers? Well, that trip they pretty much sucked, but, there were soime cool ones onboard.

The passnegers for the most part on the LONGER TRIPS? 10 plus days, are a much different breed. We spend FAR more money on our trips. Are much more laid back and relaxed. Are extremely eager to show newbies how to get the job done. Helping the newbies helps everyone onboard.

My Last trip out on the Intrepid was a 15 dayer. Hell, all you heard from everyone was " Hell, I have that in my tackle box, just go grab it and use it. " everybody was using the Open Box tackloe method with everybody else on the vessel.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO FISHING LONG! Then, make an educated, informed, TRIED AND TRUE decision on the Rods and Reels that you want. Once you have actually used the equipment in battle, you'll be a much better informed consumer.

I wish you the very best in this my firend.,......OH AND AS AN ADDITION?

BOOK A TRIP ON A WAHHOODAD AND WILLY TRIP ON THE INTREPID IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT AN EDUCATION IN LONG RANGE. There will most likely be at least 150 years of combined experience minimum not to mention the number of PROFESSIONAL, SPONSORED FISHERMEN on the trip.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Hello Rick,

I will attempt to answer your question. The insights given so far are wise indeed. Trying out something before you buy is the best way to go...

Please remember 5-15 days is a big range! Gear selection is all about your personal style and preferences. So everyone has an opinion. I am a miminimalist. That being said, below are some sensible recommendations for what you already have and might need. Their is really no end to what you can buy...depending on your tastes and budget.

100/130 lbs bait.............Mak 30SE + Calstar GF770XXXH
80/100 lbs bait.............Mak 20 + Calstar GF770XXH
50/60 lbs bait..........Mak 15 + Calstar GF700XH
40/50 lbs heavy jig...BX2-600 + Calstar GF700H
40 lbs bait.............Mak 10 + Calstar GF700H
30 lbs bait.............Andros 5II + Calstar GF700M

These 6 set-ups will keep you covered in 95% of all 5-15 day situations. Just change the top shots as needed. From here you can begin acquiring back-up rigs starting with 40, 50, & 100 lbs.

Purchase slowly, ask many questions and try to get your hands on as much gear to demo before you buy!

Welcome to our addiction...

- Jeff Burroughs
Jeff has got every thing nailed down, if you are a rail rod guy.

Also suggest like David did, for your first trip go on a reel sponsored trip. I have only been on Accurate trips. They have all your rods and reels you need covered, including the spectra. All you pay for is the topshot and terminal gear and that can be bought on the boat. You can not loose.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Yo Rick,

I fully understand why you would want to purchase your own tackle. It just feels good. Not everyone is in your position where they can afford to and really want to purchase just so they can have the rush of looking at their gear as they pull it out of the boxes. In your case you just plain WANT to buy and that is cool.

You also have the ability to wrap your own rods which will save you some monies however you will want to do a bit of research to find out how to build for long range purposes. You can find out the spacing from the factory for the guides but you will undoubtedly want to add on to the length of the fore grip and possibly add a bit more to the length of the rear grip (From the butt end of the rod to the reel seat) from the factory built Calstar rods depending on your girth. Skinnier guys can work with the factory specs but most of us are not able to "Buy off the Rack" for clothes or rods and still have the perfect outfit......... by outfit I mean
rod and reels not clothes... No really I don't wear an "Outfit".

Jeff gave some good advice but let me throw a couple of thoughts in the mix. Since you already have a 600 Accurate I would consider a 8 foot rod for throwing jigs as long as your airline has no problem with the length. You absolutely can cast with a 7 footer and distance of cast is not always required but it gives you something of a mix in your quiver. With that reel I would consider the Calstar 800XH.

Next, though you have expressed an interest in all Calstar's you might consider wrapping a Super Seeker. My favorite blanks for extra long trips are the SSCJBF80XH (Finished rod is the SS 6480XH), SS CTSF63XXXH or better if you want to work the fish the XXXXH (Finished rod is the SS 6463XXXH or XXXXH) (I prefer the XXXXH). All items with the appropriate ring guides, metal seats(I really like the Alps seats these days) and 3M Cold shrink on the fore grip.
The underlayment for the Cold shrink can be anything from a turned down Hypalon to a double layer of Cork Tape depending on how big your hands are. I prefer 18 inches for the fore grips. A cool look which you can do yourself though it adds a bit of cost is to make your fore grip from 19 or 20 inch long hypalon and cut down the center section by lathe cutting down about 3/16 of an inch for 18 inches and then letting your Cold shrink set into the hypalon and then smooth out. This gives a nice smooth and custom looking fore grip. You can make the Hypalon any color you wish possibly to match your wraps.

Some folks like a bit lighter stick for jig casting and bait fishing in which case you can save some dough and use Tar free Butt chord for your fore grip. I would still consider either Hypalon or Cork tape for the rear grip as that butt chord will rip up your underarms when rail rodding if you go shirtless or sleeveless however it makes a fine grip for holding onto.

Consider saving some money for the future should you wish to
purchase a spinner..... booo hisssss, for throwing poppers and lighter surface or mid water artificials. More and more folks are trying this and loving it.

And finally, make sure you do your research on Spectra. Hollow or solid. For me I prefer the Hollow but some are opting for Solid with a topping of hollow. You hopefully will learn how to make hollow loops, in line splices, your own top shots, etc. before you get on the boat but if not pick a trip where you will be taught. The noted charters almost always have several folks who can and will teach you.

Best of luck. You are going to love the long range gig. Something tells me this may not be a once a year only thing in the near future if your finances hold up. Be very, very careful. Its addictive.

Jamie

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I was thinking the same about an 8footer for casting iron. That actually would have some application down here. I also have the spinners covered. I own a couple of zeebaas's and van staal's. Thanks for continuing the advice.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
That SKB box weighs over 20 lbs before you put anything in it. I don't suggest you fly with one.
Hi Rick,

Since you are traveling to get here and will have some weight considerations you might consider a couple of other ideas.

1. If you are set on a tackle box and longer gear you usually can arrange with the long range boat of your choice to pre-ship ahead of your trip your gear and the boats staff will store it for you. Talk to the front office when you book your trip as they all are well versed in the best procedures. Probably cheaper if you send them ground. You can always chat with Jon (Outhouse) about that. Then ship back the same way.

2. If you want to take your gear with you on the plane consider purchasing some Plano or equivalent water proof boxes some with separators for hooks and such and some without separators for bigger and misc. stuff such as Poppers, odd shaped gear, some crimping tools, protectors and sleeves, etc. Then purchase a proper sized water proof and appropriate duty strength nylon or ?? bag to put them in. Its good if the bag has a cover to place over the water proof zipper areas. All can be carried in your checked luggage. Nothing will be lighter than that and it is very easy to access once on the boat.

3. For your rods purchase an appropriate size PVC tube plus ends at Home Depot or your equivalent low priced do it yourself store. I think mine is schedule 40 thickness. PVC Glue one end and Gorilla tape or duct tape the other end after you load your rods. Go a bit bigger than you think both in length and diameter (Keeping within the airlines guidelines) so you can place 3 foam
separators as buffers and spacers for your rods. Simply cut them round just barely smaller the the inside diameter of the tube and put slits in them to act as a separator sort of like a spoked wagon wheel. Then put 1 more foam pad on the ends. Make sure you place the rods butt to tip as it fits better and is more even especially if you have an even number of rods you are transporting. I think my entire traveling case cost less than 10 dollars, is heavier duty than much more expensive professional cases and only took a few minutes to make. Unfortunately traveling with
rods is always exciting when you open the case to see if anything is broken.
It happens but you have a better chance of success should you package it well and make it easy for TSA to open, slide out and close should they require. That would probably happen when you are not around. I always put some extra tape on a spiral and non overlapping pattern on the tube just a bit away from the opening end just in case TSA screws up the first set of tape. You can also add a nylon strap or rope to carry it with but most of the time you wont need the strap. Use an Ink pen to put all your information on the tube especially your cell phone number in case there is an issue. Take your rods out of the case on the boat or at the landing and ask if the front office can store the case for you rather than keep it on the boat. You will want to bring some soft straps for bundling your rods during the period the boat is traveling back to port as you will be required to take the rods out of the racks, bundle them up and place them in the bait tanks or ?? You can also use a few soft towels to protect them during this time. Costco sells a big bag of synthetic yellow Shammy cloths at a good price. Once back at the dock or your hotel, even using the shower if needed, see if you can find a hose with fresh water to rinse down your rods and then dry with the Shammys. If not try and wipe them with some dry rags, put back in your case and clean them back home.

Best of luck.

Jamie

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
If you fly or ship an 8 foot rod expect trouble. It's just too long a rod to move cross country without a problem.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
If you fly or ship an 8 foot rod expect trouble. It's just too long a rod to move cross country without a problem.
Hi Mcrae,

I have been fortunate in that I have never had a problem transporting 8 foot rods around the world but it comes down to planning and packing right. But as I noted, you just never know.

Jamie

ThunderMudder

Dec 1, 2007
wishing west c
Name
nal
Boat
282 GW Sailfish F225's
just like to add a couple things.
i like your list of equipment, stay with 2 speed reels as eventually if you haven't, you'll upgrade to them if you fish enough. Not a necessity for less than 60# gear but it can be very nice to have.
Try to stick to fewer brands of reels as servicing and parts will be much easier than remembering (even with cheat sheets) how to take apart and service the gear.

Me and my buddies do not have the luxury of taking the gear home with us and leisurely servicing the reels. The gear gets stored in a mini storage in San Diego. It's just too much $$$ and too much a PITA to fly with that much gear. We tear them down on the boat and have them ready for the next trip. We try to do at least 2 trips a year.

I love my Maks and i think you will too, but you may consider adding some "jigging" reels to the arsenal. You can definitely get by with what you have but may consider an Avet JX2 and HX2 for the iron/jig/popper. The taller spools with higher speed make these great jig reels. You can jig with the Mak 10 as i have, but you need to crank faster to achieve the same wind speed--tuff work on deep drop knife jigging but doable.

phantom1

Dec 5, 2004
Al
Name
Bill
Boat
N/A
Flying with Rods and your Fishing Gear, it will be wise to check the Airlines for there Baggage policy. For me I choose Southwest Not ( Pumping) For your rod case is included as a bag and not as sporting equipment. Your allowed to check two, One carry on with a small personal item. (for me this is a sm backpack) before there a 50 dollar per bag charge. So at this point might be time to look into shipping if a third bag is needed.