Ideas for great trip to AK for my family (best bang for the buck)

Feb 11, 2020
La Mesa
Name
Michael Smith
Boat
kayak
I am planning to going to AK in July and want to go salmon fishing for Kings, Silvers, Sockeye, and halibut. I am a teacher and want to spend my money wisely and need some help. I want to go somewhere where my family can fish along a river, lake, and be able to charter a few trips on a boat in the saltwater or freshwater. I also want to go somewhere there are other things to do with modest crowds (see wildlife). I would like to stay in one location for 5 nights at VBRO. I have already been to the Kennai Penninsula y, but considering Sikta, Ketchikan, Brystol Bay, Kodiak Island, ect. Give me some suggestions and

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
With a family, I'd probably recommend Sitka. But do some checking and be aware of the very restrictive fishing regulations these days.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
My wife and I really enjoyed Kodiak and from the things you are interested in I see a lot of good fits. It was not crowded and there is about 100 miles of road system that allows for good exploring. We saw a total of 4 bears on two occasions while driving and flying out for bear viewing is another option. There is good roadside fishing with lots of small rivers to try with easy access. We really enjoyed an ATV excursion to the Saltery creek. Halibut fishing was good and travel distance to the fishing grounds was a short ride. I think you would have no problem finding 5 days of family fun. Check out Kodiak.org

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB