tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If you are looking for a cheaper setup to introduce him to the salt scene, consider Ugly Sticks. I have caught 30# yellows on my Tigerlite/Avet SX combo. There are better reels than Avet for the money though, perhaps a Saltist BG30 or similar.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Im looking for a boat 20 to 25 foot range....another question that could make your head spin :)

Reactions: plj46 and tanner.s
Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
I would take a look at the Phenix Axis HAX820ML or the HAX820MH, both 8'2", the ML, rated 12-30, the MH 20-45. IMO, the longer rod would be easier to cast because it doesn't take finesse to lob a bait with a little longer rod. The Phenix Axis series are relatively inexpensive and with in the range of most standard production Calstars or Seekers in the same weight class. Couple that with the economical Okuma Cortez CZ10 (it's got a mag cast control!) for the ML and finding last year's Okuma Andros 5II (lots floating around, if you look hard enough, because of the frenzy of getting the new and improved Andros 5AII) for the MH and you've got an outfit that should last until your son is old enough to start his own arsenal.
While I agree, getting the tried and true jigmaster and an old school 270 would be the most economical and, hey, we learned on them straight away, there is something to be said about getting in sync with the new tech of lighter, stronger rods and smaller, stronger reels. Your son won't have to leap decades to learn to fish with the best of them with decent equipment.

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

joker63

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 14, 2007
Bakersfield CA
Name
Danny
Boat
I wish
If I only could take 1 fishin pole wit me...Calstar 800M
Reel choices penn fathom 25N,Torium 16,
Check BD classified ads

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    700ML with a metaloid 5ii, loaded to the brim with 50# spectra. You can put 20 foot topshots of anything from 20-50#, and the rod and reel can handle it. I think 30-40# would be ideal, but the combo can handle all of the above in a stretch. If your son is a tall he-man, then go for the longer rods, or he'll get killed with the lack of leverage. I'm not sure why all these guys fish the super long rods, except as a testosterone thing.

Upvote 0

medicidela

Almost A Member
    Feb 5, 2015
    Name
    Medy
    Boat
    Party Boats
    Second the WC Calstar 870
    It covers a wide range of applications and has the backbone to handle a yellowtail or larger fish.

As far as reels, I like the Saltiga star drag 30T or 40. Problem is the price with those reels and finding them?

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Second the WC Calstar 870
    It covers a wide range of applications and has the backbone to handle a yellowtail or larger fish.

As far as reels, I like the Saltiga star drag 30T or 40. Problem is the price with those reels and finding them?
    for a newbie Calstar WC 870 with a Shimano 15/30 or 20/40 reel' that's what I pick up for my son and killed a lot of fish with that set up

Upvote 0

UnReel

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 5, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Bang for the buck, Calstar 270H-8 (15-40# rated) deckhand style rod. Over 30 years i've caught more species on that rod and 75% of the fish period over that time frame. As for a reel, a Penn Fathom 25 ld 2 speed filled with 50# spectra would be a ton of bang for the buck. If you want to kick the rod up a notch check out the following new UC factory rods
    United Composite Elite RCE700 M C 20-40 lb 7'
    United Composite Elite MAG C 20-30 lb 8'
    United Composite Elite MEGA C 25-40 lb 8'
    United Composite Elite MONSTER C 30-50 lb 8'

Thinner, lighter and stronger than most rods mentioned above and around the same price as the graphiters 259-289.00.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0