forefrazier

Captain
Jun 14, 2007
OC
Name
Steve Frazier
Boat
Cabo 226
An $80,000 budget ? Jesus you could buy 2 nice boats to fish around Socal.
Just kind of a top end number that might not even be doable for me at this point but still like to hear views and opinions on the perfect so cal boat without limiting it too much or going way overboard (pun intended).

joelgame

Sep 9, 2009
Oceanside, CA
Name
Joel
Boat
Royal Star, 2310 Parker, Tomahawk
My buddy just bought a cabo 226, and for southern California fishing I feel it has the best all around layout. Awesome walk around, great bait setup, two good sized fish holds, lots of tackle storage. The only downside is the cuddy, it is small and can only get two people in there really tight, but the boat is big enough to fish 3 or 4 no problem. If you're a single guy it's the way to go.

I have a family and I went with a parker 2310. We love it and it is perfect for offshore, overnighters cbassing or at the islands, and even drifting inshore. Great boat. I think any of the quality 21-24 foot walk arounds with a good outboard on the back will do the trick. I owned a lesser respected boat in the same size and year as my Parker and quality was noticeably different. There is a difference.

It really depends where you are going to fish, if you're in so cal a walk around is great, if you're up the coast a full cabin is more important. There is no prefect boat. You need at least three to do everything right.

Reactions: Gil Marlin

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
I love Grady's. At 80k you have some really nice used options. Pretty much just balancing out age for size. Plus if you are looking at resale, Grady's hold their value well due to their name.

That's not to say there are plenty of other great brands.

I was going to pick up a grady sailfish but found a 26 skippy I couldn't pass up.

Good luck!

barrie

Nov 18, 2007
victoria bc canada
Name
barrie
Boat
2008 Seasport 24
Seasport 2400 made in Washington state will do everything you want and more! Made in a Short cabin or long cabin, great ride, excellent finish, great resale value. I've got a 2400 XL 5.0 volvo. One tough boat!

skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Nardo hit the nail on the head with his fine selection of 5 prime boats. My list would be the same but I'd skip the Parker only because they are out of North Carolina. Keep it West Coast and support our West Coast boat builders.
That's easy for you to say, you drive a Farallon! :)

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
With that budget a 22' Davis Cortez Half Cabin with an outboard!!

Both small and yet big enough to do everything you have asked.

The 226 Cabos are very cool, and you can pick one up alot cheaper than a Davis, and then dump some money into it making it just like you wish. The 22' Cortez is just like a 226 Cabo (or vis versa), except that the Davis has the half cab which is like a mini pilothouse, and the quality, fit and finish of the Davis is better than the Cabo, although the Cabo is still a very high quality product IMO.

The money you are talking, and for what you want......... the Davis 22' Cortez all the way! Pure quality boat and pure badass!!

Not to mention the resale stays pretty solid on those boats!

Cortez 22' Half Cab

Cabo 226

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
Hard to beat an Anderson 22. The one above needs some money pumped into her, but with that kind of budget, you could bring that thing back to like-new condition, repower included and probably new gelcoat. Here's a few photos of another couple of Ando 22's, neither of which are for sale but just examples of the genre-

Perks-Govs-Cojo, Jan, 2015 0162.jpg

Perks-Govs-Cojo, Jan, 2015 0163.jpg

Perks-Govs-Cojo, Jan, 2015 0167.jpg

Perks-Govs-Cojo, Jan, 2015 0170.jpg

Perks-Govs-Cojo, Jan, 2015 0001.jpg

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
"Hard to beat a Anderson 22'"? For what this guy is looking for I would have to disagree with that.

I know there are lots of Anderson fans out there, and for a commercial use aspect, I am sure they are top notch and great. But for a guy who wants a bitchen all around fishing platform with room to move about, with an on deck bait tank and to be able to fish everything from the boiler rocks and WSB to offshore tuna or marlin....... those things would suck IMO.

They may have a great ride, but the amount of room and clutter on those boats is a huge turn off. Their roots are with the commercial fisherman, and they are a proven winner there for sure...... but as a vessel for most Rod n Reel Sport Fisherman, they just don't cut it........there are far better options out there.

I like a boat where I have room to move around....... but then again opinions vary, and no boat will ever be perfect, although Mag Bay Yachts sure seems to be trying to put that notion to rest ;)

Last edited:

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Santa Barbara, California
Name
Nick
Boat
"EL TIBURON" - 25' Anderson
"Hard to beat a Anderson 22'"? For what this guy is looking for I would have to disagree with that.

I know there are lots of Anderson fans out there, and for a commercial use aspect, I am sure they are top notch and great. But for a guy who wants a bitchen all around fishing platform with room to move about, with an on deck bait tank and to be able to fish everything from the boiler rocks and WSB to offshore tuna or marlin....... those things would suck IMO.

They may have a great ride, but the amount of room and clutter on those boats is a huge turn off. Their roots are with the commercial fisherman, and they are a proven winner there for sure...... but as a vessel for most Rod n Reel Sport Fisherman, they just don't cut it........there are far better options out there.

I like a boat where I have room to move around....... but then again opinions vary, and no boat will ever be perfect, although Mag Bay Yachts sure seems to be trying to put that notion to rest ;)

I'll start by saying, "To each their own". Everyone have their own opinion and that's great!!! I'm not saying there's one right answer. With a $80k budget there are lots of "right" answers.

My opinion,...I was in the exact same position with the same budget and I went with a 22' Ando. I'm also in the SB Channel where these boats where design to bring you home safe at the end of the day. That was a huge factor for me!

I do agree a closed cabin with forward slanted windows and a 454 with an outdrive is not the best layout for a sport boat. But that can be said for any hull with that layout.

The new Anderson will have a 112lb electric motor and a 1,500lb fish hold. That sounds like a perfect inshore/offshore combo to me. But that's just my opinion...

Reactions: bparker1225

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
I think the great thing about the Andos, Radons, or really any other custom builder is that you are getting an extremely well made boat that can be configured any way you like it. CC, walk around, closed PH, whatever and with whatever power set up you like tailored to the kind of fishing/diving you do. I agree that the 2 Skiff posted would not be great sport boats but that's bc they are purpose built commercial boats. An Anderson like Nardo's is an awesome sport boat though.

Now a question for Nardo: I get why a closed cabin and gas I/O aren't great on a sportfishing boat, but why are forward slanting windows a problem? (Tougher to spot birds maybe??) And for that matter, why do the commercial guys seem to like em? Is it more than just aesthetics?

Reactions: bparker1225

HUMMER DUDE

5%'er/ Free Gaffing Fish since 2008
Apr 1, 2008
Newport Beach, Ca
Name
Armando
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 305 w/ 250 Verado's

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
I must confess that I have spent wat too many hours, days, weeks months of my life contemplating the ultimate boat for our Southern California waters. But let's go back to the original parameters of this post: trailerable, good for fishing boilers/ calico bass, fish offshore, $80,000 max. All the boats mentioned are trailerable✅For fishing calicos uptight I believe that gives an advantage to full walk arounds and being able to easily fish the bow. I love the Andersons but they do not have a full walk-around. Nardo's Ando will be beyond amazing however... It is the ultimate Ranch, CI boat.I would take it in an instant! Off-shore the deeper vees have an advantage length is also beneficial as is the ability to get out of the weather. Then there is the $80,00
Thus perhaps a Cortez? Davis-bahia if you get lucky,very lucky. Cabo 226 and refurbish. Maybe a Cabo 256- very rare and repower it. My dream would be a Radon 26 walk around but new we are talking $200,000. A bit over. Well actually a Mikelson Nomad a launchable skiff but that is another thread.

kj6883

Capt Kirk
Oct 19, 2007
Clovis Ca.
Name
Kirk James
Boat
Custom Davis pilothouse w/250 hp Honda ( OFF SITE 2 ), 16' power drifter, 25'Skipjack fisherman
Nardo, I also don't understand a couple things. But that's ok. Here is my $.02. My ideal boat after having many boats in my 67 yrs is as follows. 22 Davis ,forward slant windshield,enclosed house and 250hp Honda on a bracket. Making them long runs offshore it's sure nice to close that rear door. Also putting it in a slip at nite, I can lock it up with my gear inside and go to town for dinner. Another on the road I can keep my gear locked up. Also those cold nites I can close the door even lock it, keeping the Zombies away. I love the forward slant windshield, helps with glare and also gives a lot more dash space. Like I said I've had and built many boats and this was my last build. I also commercial fish this boat now and it works great. Now I'm building a 19 Radon cc for my sport boat. Just my twist. Kirk

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Santa Barbara, California
Name
Nick
Boat
"EL TIBURON" - 25' Anderson
Forward slanted windows are great. I love them in the right application. They greatly reduce glare (and eye fatigue!), create more a space inside the cabin, and they look badass! But I want to be able to fish the bow while working kelp lanes and boiler rocks. Backward slanted windows move the cabin, radar dome, and VHF antenna back 3' or more. It's much easier to make accurate casts from the bow with everything moved back and out of the way.

My opinion:
forward slanted windows = commercial boat
backward slanted windows = sport boat

There's nothing wrong with closed back cabins but he talking about versitility. I fish a little of everything and spend half the time fishing from the helm. Boiler rock fishing in tight quarters, motor anchoring while fishing lings, trolling salmon, bounce balling halibut, chasing down a thresher, sitting inside out of the weather while fishing cbass on the hook. If I'm not at the helm I still want to be able to see all the electronics and reach the controls quickly & easily. Plus, I fish a lot of the time by myself. With an open back cabin I can fight a fish with one hand and control the boat with the other. No way I could do that with a closed back cabin.

My opinion:
closed back cabin = commercial boat
open back cabin = sport boat

There's no "right" answer. That's just what works for me.

We all have different opinions and a valid reason for them. That's what makes these forums such a great resource. Someone can ask a question and you can get 10 or 20 good, valid answers. The guy that asked the question can then decide how his style of fishing and his specific needs match up the difference recommendations.

Last edited:

JeffersonB

Apr 20, 2014
Name
Bob
Boat
Ranger 2410
2510 Bay Ranger. You can get one brand new for under $100K.

Plenty of casting room front and back and a trolling motor to keep the boat in position near boiler rocks, auto pilot to stay on top of reefs etc...

Elkhornsun

Apr 2, 2013
Monterey, CA
Name
Bruce
Boat
NA
For going out to the islands I would want a deep V hull and a walk around cuddy boat in the 23 to 25 foot range. I would want twin outboards just so that if one failed I could use the other to get back home and not have to try to get a tow back from Catalina. In terms of walk arounds the space provided varies a great deal between boats. The beamier the boat the more walk around space. Boats designed to be trailered without a special permit are 8'6" in width or narrower and that makes for less space to go from the stern to the bow of the boat - important for both fishing and for offshore safety. I want a full rail going forward from the rear of the boat and places to grab while doing so. I don't want to hope that the "crew" is going to be able to get to me and get me back on the boat should I fall overboard. Most of the time when someone goes over the side they die.

In the boat size mentioned you will usually find either a single 250HP motor or twins that are in the 130 HP to 175 HP range due to the weight at the transom. Outboards do make the boat bigger as they are outside of the boat and take nothing away. With a 23 ft boat you have the full 23 feet available.

Budget for electronics and possibly a radar unit. The Raymarine displays can integrate radar, sonar, and chart plotting in the same unit. I mention radar in that I have spent time in dense fog in the channel and this is an area that has a great deal of cargo container and tanker ship traffic and a small boat is in their radar shadow and will not be noticed at all. You have to stay out of their way. Easy to spend $10,000 on all these goodies and their installation.

For the trailer I would want a dual axle trailer with disc brakes and a surge brake controller. Least problems with salt water with this setup. Total tow load should be under 8,000 lbs. and can be handled with a full size SUV or pickup truck with 4WD.

Aluminum is fine for durability if you need it but these are not comfortable boats and it is a lot trickier to mount hardware and avoid galvanic responses from different metals. It can be done but it is very different than the situation with a wood or fiberglass hull. It is also more difficult if not impossible to get the best possible hull shape for operating at a wide range of speeds with the boat, i.e. they are going to be hard chine boats instead of multi chine as with a fiberglass hull and provide a harder ride in rough water and this will be magnified in a small lightweight boat - not my idea of fun.