ICY BAY REPORT

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
LONG overdue, from July 7-13.

Firstly, eternal gratitude to the IBL staff. Mike, Cate, John, Rob, Rick, and young Noah of the Bushpeople. (And John's better-half Cindy!). Epic. The fishing is the cake. You are the frosting.

Secondly. Readers, if you've ANY occasion, opportunity, or excuse, to visit this lodge. And you opt not to? Deep, deep shame on you.

SO. I ran into my old MN buddy Josh (ThorneBros.com) at the SeaTak luggage carousel. We hadn't had a fishing adventure in years, so we rented an SUV, and got the trip started on a fun foot.
Rested at the Red Roof, and met amigo Pierre (from Panafishing resort) the following morning. Fast-forward to us, and all our heavy gear, safely arriving at the lodge (we had a brief, great encounter with Kil Song at the Yakutat airport! Thanks again for everything, Kil!)

MONDAY: Since there were only three of us, we filled the boat with staff and family, and man, was it fun!!! Cindy got to pull on big fish and see whales. And Rob got that King. Man, that King bite....
One of the biggest concerns here is the weather. It was foggy, but calm. Calm enough to make the big run. To Goddamn Jurassic Park. Forget Disneyland. THIS is the happiest place on earth. (Props to Noah for riding the bow, spotting logs and icebergs, and getting soaked in the process. Put on a coat, kid! Jajaja!)

Monday was Ling Day. First drop, Josh and I hooked up in less than ten seconds. Pierre, five seconds later. It was ON!!!! Pierre and I fished without bait, because we could, and we're gentlemen and sportsmen, jaja! Both with 6'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch -- these rods are perfect for up here, SO fun and powerful! I was on fire, 20-25 fish landed, with a 48.5", 50.5", and one pushing 53"! We also caught a few Halibut and multiple rockfish (Blacks, Yelloweye, and Quillback). Pierre's goal for the week was to catch a Hali over 50#. Three hours into Day 1, Mission accomplished!!!

So, as with Panafishing Lodge, I came here last year with Kil. And had to share both places with friends this year. (Panama was highlighted by my friend Britt, who works for Rapala, catching a 75-80# class Rooster on an X-Rap Long Cast! Talk about a photo-op!!)
And there's always that fine line, of trying to explain how special these places are, without over-selling, or exceeding expectations.
Suffice to say. Day one explained it all.
Effing EPIC!
And as we're running home, giddy and giggly, Captain Mike makes a noticeable turn to port. Whales. And birds. And marks. We rig up small jigs, and limit on big king Salmon in less than 15', less than 15 minutes.
Rob, who's worked there for 14 years, deservedly got the lunker. The biggest King he's seen there. He's never seen a bite like that, and said he, and we, may never again. Just when you thought Icy Bay couldn't get any better....
(And one of the King's was an Ivory, with which chef Rick worked his typical magic....)

We disembark at the lodge, meeting latecomers Jon and Sue -- our squad is complete! Trying, unsuccessfully, to downplay what we'd just experienced, so they didn't feel left out.
As it happens, they'd catch up....

fullsizeoutput_7.jpeg DSCN0593 copy.jpg DSCN0595 copy.jpg IMG_5523.JPG IMG_5549.JPG IMG_5556.JPG IMG_5558.JPG fullsizeoutput_11.jpeg DSCN0664 copy.jpg DSCN0670 copy.jpg DSCN0639 copy.jpg DSCN0667 copy.jpg DSCN0655 copy.jpg

Feb 7, 2010
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Tuesday was foggy, more windy, slower. We stayed close. We're not sure if it was the weather change, our location, if Jon and Sue were bad luck, or the fact that Noah wasn't on the boat.
Like Josh says. It's always good to have a guy named Noah on your boat.
Needless to say, Noah was on the boat the rest of the week, jaja!
Still, we scratched-out what normally would be a very successful day, with a variety of fish, highlighted by a couple 70-80# Hali's for Josh.

In case I haven't emphasized it enough, Captain Mike is a badass. And after Tuesday, he was determined to put us on better fishing.

'Nuff said.

Wednesday, first drop.
Again, in a matter of seconds, four of us are hooked up. We're rooting on Jon to join the party, and it takes no time. But he loses it! Quick drop, and he's hooked up again. Group shot of big Ling's. Release them, and back to catching....
It's all a bit of a blur. A mix of species and sizes and smiles and laughter and madness. Most of the fish were big. Most of the fish were released. Jon, fishing in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals, became the Halibut Hero (or "Dick!" according to Pierre, jaja), with a 110, two 160's, a 180, and a 200. I caught a 135, and one close to 100, easily PB's. We all had multiple fish between 40-80.
And literally tons of Lings.
Seemingly endless Black and Yelloweye -- props to John and Noah for all the deep releases!!
I think Pierre and I each got two QuillBack. I caught a Tiger rockfish. Sue caught a Sea Dong. I caught a skate somewhere between 80-100#. Joshy got a booboo, and with the help of Mike and John, the hook was extricated seemlessly (as Sue was landing a 75# Hali...)
These folks are pros...

And I'm rambling...

I could go on for days. I'm posting a fraction of the pictures. I'm forgetting a lot of facts that I could never properly communicate anyway. (Pierre, hosting an FG seminar. The late-night Dolly bite. The campfire. Captain Mike's shrimp-bait experiment's.
Ever had Ivory sashimi? It's like a King made a big, beautiful baby with an Escolar. Stoopid good.
As was the smoked Ivory collar.
But that shrimp boil? All of you who peel those shrimp, and don't eat the heads, are fucking idiots. Shut up, and eat the whole Goddamn thing! Those shrimp heads are one of the most delicious things ever....)

Suffice to say.
Though what we experienced will never be replicated. I'm already booked for next year.
Mostly, I'm grateful I got to share it with an incredible group of friends. And I include the Icy Bay family among those friends.
Thank you, Icy Bay Lodge.
To quote Rick's lunch note, "I love you," jajaja!
Saludos!!! -dLc

DSCN0642 copy.jpg DSCN0682 copy.jpg DSCN0692 copy.jpg DSCN0711 copy.jpg DSCN0703 copy.jpg DSCN0715 copy.jpg DSCN0725 copy.jpg DSCN0733 copy.jpg DSCN0771 copy.jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 12.39.50 PM.png DSCN0782 copy.jpg DSCN0793 copy.jpg IMG_5601.JPG IMG_5606.JPG IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5735.JPG IMG_5941.JPG Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 12.54.07 PM.png IMG_5799.JPG IMG_5824.JPG IMG_5763.JPG IMG_5905.JPG IMG_5917.JPG IMG_5937.JPG IMG_5943.JPG DSCN0848 copy.jpg DSCN0862 copy.jpg

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Tuesday was foggy, more windy, slower. We stayed close. We're not sure if it was the weather change, our location, if Jon and Sue were bad luck, or the fact that Noah wasn't on the boat.
Like Josh says. It's always good to have a guy named Noah on your boat.
Needless to say, Noah was on the boat the rest of the week, jaja!
Still, we scratched-out what normally would be a very successful day, with a variety of fish, highlighted by a couple 70-80# Hali's for Josh.

In case I haven't emphasized it enough, Captain Mike is a badass. And after Tuesday, he was determined to put us on better fishing.

'Nuff said.

Wednesday, first drop.
Again, in a matter of seconds, four of us are hooked up. We're rooting on Jon to join the party, and it takes no time. But he loses it! Quick drop, and he's hooked up again. Group shot of big Ling's. Release them, and back to catching....
It's all a bit of a blur. A mix of species and sizes and smiles and laughter and madness. Most of the fish were big. Most of the fish were released. Jon, fishing in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals, became the Halibut Hero (or "Dick!" according to Pierre, jaja), with a 110, two 160's, a 180, and a 200. I caught a 135, and one close to 100, easily PB's. We all had multiple fish between 40-80.
And literally tons of Lings.
Seemingly endless Black and Yelloweye -- props to John and Noah for all the deep releases!!
I think Pierre and I each got two QuillBack. I caught a Tiger rockfish. Sue caught a Sea Dong. I caught a skate somewhere between 80-100#. Joshy got a booboo, and with the help of Mike and John, the hook was extricated seemlessly (as Sue was landing a 75# Hali...)
These folks are pros...

And I'm rambling...

I could go on for days. I'm posting a fraction of the pictures. I'm forgetting a lot of facts that I could never properly communicate anyway. (Pierre, hosting an FG seminar. The late-night Dolly bite. The campfire. Captain Mike's shrimp-bait experiment's.
Ever had Ivory sashimi? It's like a King made a big, beautiful baby with an Escolar. Stoopid good.
As was the smoked Ivory collar.
But that shrimp boil? All of you who peel those shrimp, and don't eat the heads, are fucking idiots. Shut up, and eat the whole Goddamn thing! Those shrimp heads are one of the most delicious things ever....)

Suffice to say.
Though what we experienced will never be replicated. I'm already booked for next year.
Mostly, I'm grateful I got to share it with an incredible group of friends. And I include the Icy Bay family among those friends.
Thank you, Icy Bay Lodge.
To quote Rick's lunch note, "I love you," jajaja!
Saludos!!! -dLc

View attachment 1050150 View attachment 1050156 View attachment 1050157 View attachment 1050158 View attachment 1050159 View attachment 1050160 View attachment 1050161 View attachment 1050162 View attachment 1050163 View attachment 1050164 View attachment 1050165 View attachment 1050166 View attachment 1050170 View attachment 1050171 View attachment 1050172 View attachment 1050173 View attachment 1050174 View attachment 1050177 View attachment 1050178 View attachment 1050179 View attachment 1050180 View attachment 1050181 View attachment 1050182 View attachment 1050183 View attachment 1050185 View attachment 1050186 View attachment 1050187
We were there the week before. Echo all your comments about the team at the lodge. Top shelf all the way!

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

muletrain

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Amazing pictures and great report

I can fish my entire life in Southern California and NEVER catch lings like that. Fortunately I have fished Alaska multiple times and have caught nice lings like the ones you caught. Brings back great memories

Thanks for sharing

Feb 7, 2010
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Are you anchored or drifting?Thanks for posting?What type of boat or barge are you fishing from?
Thanks
I'd say we were drifting 80-90% of the time. Again, the weather was pretty perfect!
If I remember correctly, the boat's 38', and best described as a "landing craft"? Flat-bottomed but smooth and fast, front door, plenty of room to fish!

ksong

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
good to hear you and your group had great time there. I booked three weeks next year to accommodate anglers. :)

ksong

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
I'd say we were drifting 80-90% of the time. Again, the weather was pretty perfect!
If I remember correctly, the boat's 38', and best described as a "landing craft"? Flat-bottomed but smooth and fast, front door, plenty of room to fish!
20190628_075738.jpg

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
LONG overdue, from July 7-13.

Firstly, eternal gratitude to the IBL staff. Mike, Cate, John, Rob, Rick, and young Noah of the Bushpeople. (And John's better-half Cindy!). Epic. The fishing is the cake. You are the frosting.

Secondly. Readers, if you've ANY occasion, opportunity, or excuse, to visit this lodge. And you opt not to? Deep, deep shame on you.

SO. I ran into my old MN buddy Josh (ThorneBros.com) at the SeaTak luggage carousel. We hadn't had a fishing adventure in years, so we rented an SUV, and got the trip started on a fun foot.
Rested at the Red Roof, and met amigo Pierre (from Panafishing resort) the following morning. Fast-forward to us, and all our heavy gear, safely arriving at the lodge (we had a brief, great encounter with Kil Song at the Yakutat airport! Thanks again for everything, Kil!)

MONDAY: Since there were only three of us, we filled the boat with staff and family, and man, was it fun!!! Cindy got to pull on big fish and see whales. And Rob got that King. Man, that King bite....
One of the biggest concerns here is the weather. It was foggy, but calm. Calm enough to make the big run. To Goddamn Jurassic Park. Forget Disneyland. THIS is the happiest place on earth. (Props to Noah for riding the bow, spotting logs and icebergs, and getting soaked in the process. Put on a coat, kid! Jajaja!)

Monday was Ling Day. First drop, Josh and I hooked up in less than ten seconds. Pierre, five seconds later. It was ON!!!! Pierre and I fished without bait, because we could, and we're gentlemen and sportsmen, jaja! Both with 6'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch -- these rods are perfect for up here, SO fun and powerful! I was on fire, 20-25 fish landed, with a 48.5", 50.5", and one pushing 53"! We also caught a few Halibut and multiple rockfish (Blacks, Yelloweye, and Quillback). Pierre's goal for the week was to catch a Hali over 50#. Three hours into Day 1, Mission accomplished!!!

So, as with Panafishing Lodge, I came here last year with Kil. And had to share both places with friends this year. (Panama was highlighted by my friend Britt, who works for Rapala, catching a 75-80# class Rooster on an X-Rap Long Cast! Talk about a photo-op!!)
And there's always that fine line, of trying to explain how special these places are, without over-selling, or exceeding expectations.
Suffice to say. Day one explained it all.
Effing EPIC!
And as we're running home, giddy and giggly, Captain Mike makes a noticeable turn to port. Whales. And birds. And marks. We rig up small jigs, and limit on big king Salmon in less than 15', less than 15 minutes.
Rob, who's worked there for 14 years, deservedly got the lunker. The biggest King he's seen there. He's never seen a bite like that, and said he, and we, may never again. Just when you thought Icy Bay couldn't get any better....
(And one of the King's was an Ivory, with which chef Rick worked his typical magic....)

We disembark at the lodge, meeting latecomers Jon and Sue -- our squad is complete! Trying, unsuccessfully, to downplay what we'd just experienced, so they didn't feel left out.
As it happens, they'd catch up....

View attachment 1050108 View attachment 1050124 View attachment 1050125 View attachment 1050126 View attachment 1050128 View attachment 1050129 View attachment 1050131 View attachment 1050132 View attachment 1050141 View attachment 1050142 View attachment 1050143 View attachment 1050144 View attachment 1050145
David, Thanks for posting. So cool you got into the Chinook. I got one on our trip using the Shimano Coltsniper in 140 gram. I signed up for week # 2 next year with Kil. Mahalo,. Ken