ksong

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
I arrived at Anchorage, AK after long 7 hours flight from NJ.

We had dinner at famous Glacier Brewhouse. The place was packed though it is not cheap.

After dinner, we went to famous ice cream shop nearby. I couldn't believe long line waiting for ice cream in chilly weather a 10 pm.

We fly to Yakutat on Sunday morning to meet other anglers there.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
I just check in for a flight to Yakutat. Good thing is Alaska Airline allows three free check-in bags within Alaska.

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Can't wait to read your reports, amigo!!
Happy hunting for lunkers, strawberries, rocks.
(And a silent roommate, jaja!)

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
We arrived at Icy Bay Lodge.

Mel brought lots of drinks as usual. :)

nice pork prepared by Chef Rick.

glacier ice

Jigs from 5 oz to 12 oz.
We normally use 6 oz - 10 oz and the reason I brought 12 oz jigs are sometimes big halibut prefer bigger jigs.

I brought light rods. The heaviest rods are 7'3" Black Hole Charter Special MH rods.
- 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rods
-7'3" Black Hole Charter Special MH rods
-6'6" Black Hole Slow Pitch jigging rods
-6'3" ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod

It is calm and we are ready to go offshore.

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
We had many big lingcod and yelloweye rockfish on jigs, but big halibut didn't show up for unknown reason.
Luckily I got 82 lb halibut with 5 oz Al Gag jig which is used for striper. I used 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod and IRT 600 DD reel.
Later I used the ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel for fun.

This big ling cod is probably 50 lb as the length is 49 3/4".

The Tai Special weighs only 3.8 oz and the blank weighs 1.4 oz. This rod is probably the lightest jigging rod.

It is calm today and we plan to go offshore again.

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
We had many big lingcod and yelloweye rockfish on jigs, but big halibut didn't show up for unknown reason.
Luckily I got 82 lb halibut with 5 oz Al Gag jig which is used for striper. I used 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod and IRT 600 DD reel.
Later I used the ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel for fun.

This big ling cod is probably 50 lb as the length is 49 3/4".

The Tai Special weighs only 3.8 oz and the blank weighs 1.4 oz. This rod is probably the lightest jigging rod.

It is calm today and we plan to go offshore again.
Looks great Kil! Any King salmon around? Ken

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Unfortunately king salmon fishing has been very slow.

This ling cod is probably about 50 lb. I think this is the biggest ling cod I got off Icy Bay Lodge. My personal best is 58 lb caught off Langara Island, BC years ago. We had three big ling cod close to 50 lb yesterday.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Looking forward to joining you Sunday! Looks nice and calm. Hope offshore went well today!

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Marshall had his personal best ling cod and he lost big halibut as the line was tangled with anchor line and I lost big halibut as the 40 lb line got broken. I got rid of old line and spooled with new 40 lb Jerry Brown Hollow line.
We tried hard to catch big halibut without success. On the way to the lodge, we stopped by a halibut nursery ground and I must caught about 15 halibut within one hour with Al Gag jig using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel.
It was fun with light tackle.

Jumee broke her personal best ling cod again. it was 52" big ling cod which was released.

Marshall's personal best ling cod

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
Marshall had his personal best ling cod and he lost big halibut as the line was tangled with anchor line and I lost big halibut as the 40 lb line got broken. I got rid of old line and spooled with new 40 lb Jerry Brown Hollow line.
We tried hard to catch big halibut without success. On the way to the lodge, we stopped by a halibut nursery ground and I must caught about 15 halibut within one hour with Al Gag jig using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel.

Jumee broke her personal best ling cod again. it was 52" big ling cod which was released.

Thanks for the report Kil. See you Monday ! Ken

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Anything you need that I can bring with me ? Let me know. Ken
Ken, when do you leave for Seattle ? I lost all my Al Gag jigs and I like to order them to be sent to you.

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
I couldn't post last couple of days because wifi signal is weak.
Bring small jugs for king salmon as we got a few king salmon on jigs.

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
I couldn't post last couple of days because wifi signal is weak.
Bring small jugs for king salmon as we got a few king salmon on jigs.
Kil, received your package yesterday afternoon. Will bring Coltsniper jigs for salmon fishing. See you Sunday, Ken

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Thanks Ken.
While jigging halibut in 60', we got a few king salmon on jigs.
We didn't catch many big halibut, but we have tremendous fun catching halibut in 10 lb -50 lb one after another with 4oz- 6 oz jigs using light tackle. The biggest halibut is 105 lb using Black Hole Slow Pitch jigging rod.

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Wed is non halibut day. You can not target halibut on Wed. We did some sightseeing in the bay and put shrimp traps.
We fished black bass on jigs and we got limit ( 5 per person) within one hour. We tried to jig king salmon for the rest of the day without success.

You don't have to buy ice here.

very rare silvergray rockfish

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Thursday
We looked for halibut today. We fished close to the lodge.
The first spot produced 105 lb halibut by Mike using Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rod. Marshall lost big one again, but he got 94 lb halibut later using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod.
Capt Mike moved the boat to the west in the afternoon and bites were on. We landed a few keeper king salmon on jigs too.
I don't know how many halibut I released there using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel.
Everyone was happy. :)

Mike's 105 lb halibut

my king salmon which took halibut jig.

Marshall's 94 lb halibut

Fred's king salmon

Mike's king salmon

using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special/IRT 500 DD reel

majestic St Elias

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Friday
Today is the final day.
We opted to go offshore for big ling cod and possibly for big halibut.
We landed big ling cod and big yelloweye rockfish, but big halibut eluded us.
We went to halibut ground close to the lodge and had non-stop action of halibut in 10 lb - 40 lb range on small jigs with light tackle.
I used 4 oz diamond jig.
Everyone was happy. :)

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
You cranked that sucker up in no time!!! Great trip! Thanks for the report. I'd like to get up there someday

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
I got 80 lb halibut using the ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel yesterday after catching and releasing many ling cod in 30 lb - 50 lb. 12 years old Josh got 140 lb - 150 lb halibut with the Al Gag jig I gave, but unfortunately the big halibut escaped even with harpoon shot and gun shot.
The 12 years old Josh has poise to land the big halibut calmly. I hope he land big halibut again on this trip.

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
When they harpoon do they just tie the end off to the boat or do they have a bouy on the end of the line? I just started harpooning and I am more comfortable using a bouy because it puts less stress on the puncture spot and the fish will give up and the bouy will float it. Then go pick up your fish!

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB