Icy Bay 07/22 - 07/28 2018

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
Thousand Oaks
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
I am not on it but I have done it and you will have a great experience-Mike will take good care of you.One of my best if not the best of my traveling fishing trips and I have had many.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats
Upvote 0

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
I am not on it but I have done it and you will have a great experience-Mike will take good care of you.One of my best if not the best of my traveling fishing trips and I have had many.
Ken, Did you take any rods and reels and jigs or was everything supplied? bosco

Upvote 0

ricogrande

May 22, 2010
Mud Bay, Wa. USA
Name
Fred
Boat
Vamoose
They have everything and everything is great stuff. Buckets of jigs and plenty of hearing bait. If you don’t like ugly sticks and penn fathoms, ask for black hole and jigging master. It’s a fine Alaskan experience.

Reactions: terryc.
Upvote 0

ksong

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
They are comingg from different parts of the US.
They are coming from California, Minnesota, Florida and Texas.
Our staff, Jane and Esther join the trip from NJ.

Everyone will use light Black Hole rods. I recommend to bring light reels and some jigs/teasers of your favorite though you can use lodge's.

There is no limit of bags on the bush plane from Yakutat to the Lodge.
You pay nominal $10 per fish box on the way back to Yakutat and no charger for your bags.

Upvote 0

1biteaddatime

Aug 17, 2008
Sacramento
Name
Steve
Boat
Cabo 216
Ricogrande & I were on the June trip w/ Kil and we had a great time. If the weather is anything like what we had; the biggest problem will be like we had - which ones to let go, which ones to keep, and how many boxes are you willing to deal with when you get home. It was a ling cod and halibut Jurassic Park.

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Ricogrande & I were on the June trip w/ Kil and we had a great time. If the weather is anything like what we had; the biggest problem will be like we had - which ones to let go, which ones to keep, and how many boxes are you willing to deal with when you get home. It was a ling cod and halibut Jurassic Park.
Nice fishing with you Steve.
Now you know all my previous reports are true and I did not exaggerate. :)
The only concern is weather. The weather looks fine as of now.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    That's a t

That's a tough problem to deal with!!!

Upvote 0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
    Name
    J. David LeCompte
    Boat
    20' Triton
    Hola Ken (and Kil), I'm coming, like it or not, jaja! I'm bringing a couple conventional reels for the rods up there. And a couple (Black Hole) spinning outfits, because my arms are in rough shape.

I apologize in advance for asking too many questions, losing fish, snoring, bringing the wrong tackle and clothing.
    Let's do this! Saludos, Dave

Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    ken
    Boat
    I found out the hard way about boats
    I should add that one should vote to take the time to see the glacier and force yourself to stay up one night and go with Mike to dump the fish guts at the designated pile:brown bears,moose and more bald eagles than one can imagine and an incredible view of the whole mountain range.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    When you say stay up? do you mean people actually go to sleep?

I seem to not be able to do that with 18 hour fishing days and cool shit to see in the couple hours of twilight...

I leave for Yakutat on Thursday, Sleep is never on my list of things to do...

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    Weather looks good. See you in Yakutat Airport on Sunday morning.

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    It is not good starr. I left my laptop computer at secutity check at Newark Airport and they lost my fishing rod case at Seattle airport. I m glad i left fishing rods at Icy Bay Lodge.

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    As I expe ted all had their life time experience. Some fished Alaaka before and some is new. All agree they've never seen such a good fishing before.
    Didn't I say they would life time experience if we can go offshore. :)
    We releaed halibut in 50 lb - 100 lb later. All used light jigs with light setup.
    I had halibut uoto 130 lb - 140 lb using light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod/JM PE 4 reel filled with 40# JB Hollow line.
    Today is anither good day. We probably go offshore again.

20180723_180004.jpg 20180723_155329.jpg 20180723_173846.jpg 20180723_175310.jpg 20180723_160156.jpg 20180723_144816.jpg

Upvote 0

1biteaddatime

Aug 17, 2008
    Sacramento
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Great that you are experiencing great weather & the fishing is generating all the smiles and memories of a lifetime for everyone Kil. Give my regards to Capt. Mike, John, and the Icy Bay Team. Ninja grub strikes again!

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    Ken Ross landed 244 lb halibut using light Black Hole Cape Cod 80g jigging rod. We had excellent halibut jigging with 50 lb - 130 lb in the morning

20180724_152650.jpg

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    As Wed is nonhalibut day we spent while catching black bass, shrimp and doing sightseeing

We spent inshore fishing in thursday as weather was not great. AWe got snall halibut and lots of black bass, but I didn't bother to take pictures.
    Today is the final day and we are going to fish offshore

Upvote 0

ksong

Aug 7, 2005
    NJ
    Name
    KIL SONG
    Boat
    NONE
    We had another epic halibut fishing on jigs
    We released all halibut in 50 lb -140 lb exceot two. Dannon got 197 lb halibut on a jig using light Black Hole Caoe Cod Slow Pitch jigging rod.
    What a finish of the trip.

20180727_172238.jpg

Upvote 0

bosco

Older Timer
    Oct 21, 2005
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Ken Ross
    Boat
    Someone else's
    Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat
    soon2B
    Wow, just Wow!
    Great looking trip, congrats! Been wondering what that lodge is like.
    Seeing your pics has got me excited about our trip coming up on the 22nd to Yakutat.
    We do the self guided deal for 10 days, rent a Suburban stay at the Mooring Inn and take the skiffs out a couple of days and charter a couple of ocean trips and, of course, hike the Situk and Lost. I just love it up there!
    Hopefully the Cojo fishing will be as epic as it was last year.
    Any reports?

Upvote 0