bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat
26 Weldcraft O/S "Bite-N-Time"
Made a tuna run yesterday with poor results, rough seas, changing weather, earthquake, ok enough excuses.

Anyway our ice in the fish hold didn't last long at all. By 10 am it was all slush. My fish hold lid let too much deck water in and melted the ice too fast. How do you guys water proof your lids? Or insulate your boxes? I am running a Weldcraft offshore which is the same as a Duckworth.

I know I can block the forward scupper holes but is that really a good idea?

Thanks

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Made a tuna run yesterday with poor results, rough seas, changing weather, earthquake, ok enough excuses.

Anyway our ice in the fish hold didn't last long at all. By 10 am it was all slush. My fish hold lid let too much deck water in and melted the ice too fast. How do you guys water proof your lids? Or insulate your boxes? I am running a Weldcraft offshore which is the same as a Duckworth.

I know I can block the forward scupper holes but is that really a good idea?

Thanks
I always plug my forward scuppers(drains). I only pull the plugs temporarily if I am washing the deck while not moving. I don't think you are going to be able to seal the fish box lid. I would have the same problem if I did not plug the forward drains.

Do your back scuppers not work? I assume while you're running everything drains out the back scuppers and you should not be taking on much water while sitting unless you are washing the deck or torrential down pour. Normally I dont wash the deck down till the bait stop has died and we are back on the troll so everything drains out the back.

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
Deck water can get into your fishbox? that don't seem right.

I know my fishbox acts as a giant heat sink if its hot/sunny out. the lid being aluminum and all... So I had a killbag built to insulate it. Works amazing.

Reactions: PST9

bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat
I always plug my forward scuppers(drains). I only pull the plugs temporarily if I am washing the deck while not moving. I don't think you are going to be able to seal the fish box lid. I would have the same problem if I did not plug the forward drains.

Do your back scuppers not work? I assume while you're running everything drains out the back scuppers and you should not be taking on much water while sitting unless you are washing the deck or torrential down pour. Normally I dont wash the deck down till the bait stop has died and we are back on the troll so everything drains out the back.
Yes they do work. I guess I will have to do that next time. Do you ice up the night before or day of?

bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat

I know my fishbox acts as a giant heat sink if its hot/sunny out. the lid being aluminum and all... So I had a killbag built to insulate it. Works amazing.
Agree. Seems to be a bad design. Going to try and make some sort of seal. I have had it fill from downpours while being moored.

bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat

Who made your kill bag? Good idea

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I generally ice up the morning of. Plugging your front drains will solve your ice problem. The lid of the fish box is pushed open slightly from air spring and then when you have waves hitting the side drains pushing water onto your deck and into your fishbox. I bet removing the fishbox airspring will greatly reduce water but just plugging your drains will eliminate the water from the deck.

I fill the fishbox about a 1/3rd full with ice and the rest goes into two 150 quart coolers which I want to replace with a half tote. I have not run short of ice but I also have not cracked 30 fish this season.

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Ok I will say it. Don’t plug scuppers they are to drain water. Seal the lids and through some salt from Home Depot in your ice to keep it from melting as fast. Also look At installing drain lines on the trough that the lid sits in

jasper hickman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
26' sea master, RED BEARD
While I don’t have a weldcraft/duckworth I found it easier and cleaner to just use the 1/2 ice tote and forgo the fish box’s in the floor altogether.

While it does take up some room on the deck it also provides a great place to sit on, a real table for cutting fish on the way back, ice last forever! No pumps to mess with.

I can stuff about 20 in there, cutting heads off really helps as well. If the ice tote is full we can brake out the kill bags as well.

Reactions: WaveDancer

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Slight edit Mr Balls, throwing salt in ice will not make it last longer. It is quite the opposite, it lowers the temp that it melts which makes it melt faster and cooling tuners to a lower temp faster than regular ice. I know your heart was in the right place though Vance. Carry on.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Your aluminum box just sucks. Even with the itty bit of spray foam they put around it, it’s still a heat sink and will melt your ice way too fast. As Chasin Tail said, your hatch lid is not insulated and you’ll continue to lose.

Best way at this point is the custom kill bag.

Have one of these built and be happy again.
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/wilderness-packs-custom-kill-bag.648527/

Then, salt the ice to bring the temp down even more. Water softener ice at $5 for 40# from most hardware stores. We use 1 gallon of salt for each 285 quart tote. Try to get most of the water out before you salt.

Reactions: rickstah

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
It could also be the ice. I went out a few weeks ago and the ice I got from Westport seafoods melted inside my kill bags which i have never had happen these bags have worked for years so maybe they are mixing their ice slightly different now?

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
It could be simply that their ice storage is not as cold as in the past. 0 degree ice will last way better than 20 degree ice. Whether fresh or salt ice.

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
Who made your kill bag? Good idea
WPS aka wilderness packs
When ordering I sent them a drawing of the inside dimensions of the fishbox. They matched it perfectly accounting for the “V” and L x W xH

Back fishbox got some love too

Holds ice all day. No melt off

5A104D78-1753-4EB6-875F-336EF67CD02A.jpeg 4A199812-5C0B-47E9-97AA-468BFE28D748.jpeg D6B7C069-751C-456F-8521-CD9AAE9365BE.jpeg

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Those forward drains were put in a few years ago kind of after the fact. Mine, 26’ Duckworth at least didn’t drain out the scuppers when at rest. You had to get it on plane to drain which made it a bitch to wash the boat at the dock. They installed those forward drains on mine after me complaining and I think but I’m not sure they might be standard on all the new ones. The drains are supplied with a plug and are meant to have the plug in except when you are washing.

The hold is supposed to be insulated but I don’t think the insulation is very thick. On the one trip I was able to make this year before rotating back to AK the ice went quick in the hold so I had to keep feeding it from the kill bag. Never had the problem previously but I think the water temps were higher than I’ve seen previously. I thought I was getting a lot of ice melt from just warmth coming through the hull.

The custom kill bags sound like the optimum thing to do but I’ve also read there are ice blankets that some commercial guys use. I think Seattle Marine carry’s the product.

Reactions: GregE

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Those forward drains were put in a few years ago kind of after the fact. Mine, 26’ Duckworth at least didn’t drain out the scuppers when at rest. You had to get it on plane to drain which made it a bitch to wash the boat at the dock. They installed those forward drains on mine after me complaining and I think but I’m not sure they might be standard on all the new ones. The drains are supplied with a plug and are meant to have the plug in except when you are washing.

The hold is supposed to be insulated but I don’t think the insulation is very thick. On the one trip I was able to make this year before rotating back to AK the ice went quick in the hold so I had to keep feeding it from the kill bag. Never had the problem previously but I think the water temps were higher than I’ve seen previously. I thought I was getting a lot of ice melt from just warmth coming through the hull.

The custom kill bags sound like the optimum thing to do but I’ve also read there are ice blankets that some commercial guys use. I think Seattle Marine carry’s the product.
If you have a freezer at home,
Freeze a few 2 liter bottles of water, and
Throw them in with your ice, that will help,
Keep your ice from melting fast .

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Good idea actually even if you had custom bags. One thing you could do also is add some rubbing alcohol to the water to bring the freezing temp down a bit making it colder. Just mark the bottles so no one takes a swig

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
So what I did for a quick fix when I had a 26 NR was cut some rigid foam board 1/2" or thicker
://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-1-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-5-Scored-Square-Edge-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-20WE/207179253,

and then lined the whole box including lid with this,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-BP48025/100052556

It saved the ice 10 folds easy. Put something between the aluminum, and the ice until you can have custom bags made.

Good luck

Reactions: Corey G

bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat
Thanks for the responses. What confuses me is my last two times out we caught 26 tuna, brought 2 extra coolers of ice and barely touched them. Then on this time we only brought one extra cooler and had this problem. It was a overcast cool day, water was cooler than we wanted so maybe it is the temp of the ice or a combo of everything. Will look into pulling the deck plate and insulating the fish hold, plug the forward scuppers, and get a kill bag price.

bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat

The fish hold tank is not insulated at all.