IB Surf Fishing Tournament. Sign up Here!

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
You can follow me around with a camera, measuring tape and a scale. I'll be too busy for all that...
Yeah, I know your type. you prolly want me to bring along a grill, umbrella and porta potty as well. Friggin homo.

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
I plan on showing up and failing miserably, but cabana boy will kick your ass.

How many have signed up for the perch fest?

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Yeah, I know your type. you prolly want me to bring along a grill, umbrella and porta potty as well. Friggin homo.
Don't forget the hammock and sunscreen either. Something different than the cocoa butter you rubbed me down with last time. I didn't care for the smell.....:picknose:

Kelpbedhead

Hippie Hater
May 15, 2009
San diego
Name
James
Boat
20' Baja Bayrunner
Do we have the official rules let's confirm them, and I'll add them to the origional post.

wsbkiller

Aug 29, 2009
Imperial Beach, Ca. USA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Sometimes
Do we have the official rules let's confirm them, and I'll add them to the origional post.
1. Fishing starts promptly at 8:00 AM and ends at 11:00 AM, be at the north jetty/surf camp by 7:30 AM to sign in and go over the rules.

2. Any kind of bait is allowed.

3. Sharks, rays, and skates do not count. Bait fish such as smelt, mackerel, and sardines will be excluded.

4. One rod per angler only. Backup rigs are allowed, but only one rod may be fished at a time.

5. This is a catch and release tournament. Anglers are responsible for measuring and recording their own catch. All anglers must bring their own digital camera and tape measure. Fish must be measured with the tape laying flat on the ground and must clearly show the length of the fish accurately.

6. Fish such as halibut and WSB which do not meet the minimum size requirement for a legal catch may not be included in the anglers total.

7. There can be only one "King of the Surf". The angler with the greatest total length for three fish will be declared the winner. HOWEVER...any angler who catches a "Grand Slam" (BSP, corbina, halibut, and one other surf game fish such as yellowfin, spotfin, or white croaker, WSB etc.) will trump the longest aggregate anglers catch by virtue of superior angling skill and bait presentation, and thereby be declared the winner. Anglers must record their catch and report it to the "tournament official" at the end of fishing. An unofficial winner will be declared on the beach, and the results will become official when pics are posted and confirmed on Bloodydecks.

8. In the event of a tie, there will be a "Sudden Death" fish off. The anglers involved in the tie will fish until one of them catches any fish allowed under the rules, and will be declared the winner when the fish is released.

Feel free to add your $.02 James & Stan.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I disagree with #6...
If someone catches a short wsb or Hali the priority should be to release it alive and quickly as possible....I don't want to see somebody laying a short on the sand for measuring and a pic and killing it ultimately, in a futile effort to beat me....:shakin: A not legal fish should not be legal for the contest imo...
Otherwise I think those rules are fairly solid. Though I will prolly start fishing earlier. I realize full well "early" fish won't count....
Do kept fish count? I have no problem with someone keeping a few for dinner.

MR CROWLEY

like the ozzy song
Apr 13, 2010
san diego ca
Name
sean
Boat
hobie pro angler
I disagree with #6...
If someone catches a short wsb or Hali the priority should be to release it alive and quickly as possible....I don't want to see somebody laying a short on the sand for measuring and a pic and killing it ultimately, in a futile effort to beat me....:shakin: A not legal fish should not be legal for the contest imo...
Otherwise I think those rules are fairly solid. Though I will prolly start fishing earlier. I realize full well "early" fish won't count....
Do kept fish count? I have no problem with someone keeping a few for dinner.
now that i think about it i actually have to agree with Carl go figure not legal should not count. im also ok with anyone taking some of their catches home

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Sounds like fun. If I'm in SD that weekend I'll stop by.

I have been putting on Fish Off's for 6 + years now. Ours is based around county competition ie. LA vs OC vs SD. Different species are awarded different points and the highest average fish count per county wins. Basically just bragging rights. It is also free and is a great way to get people together who don't get to see each other often.

For you guys, I would suggest keeping it simple. I like Kevin's ideas. Stay true to surf fishing and it's roots. Not too over the top. Like most of the people who have been fishing the beaches for 30 + years.

Good luck and hope to see you there,

j

Last edited:

Kelpbedhead

Hippie Hater
May 15, 2009
San diego
Name
James
Boat
20' Baja Bayrunner
I like Kevin's rules with Carl's revisions. Good job Kevin. I'll just copy, paste and revise, then add it to the origional post. What do you say fellas. Are these the rules?

Chime in.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
There should be no penalty for cheating.....:picknose: