Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Well the boat ended up being down for 5 weeks but we finally found the cluprit. A tiny pin whole in one of the fuel lines that was in the transom glass.... Always fun.

So with the boat fixed and running it was time for a tuna trip ASAP.

Short story...
    We went really far West but didn't catch any albacore :(.

Long story

We left the dock at 4 AM and pulled the throttles back 5 miles East of our numbers around 8:30 AM. There was ZERO wind, great for the ride not so great for albacore fishing with the kite and dead stinky mullets. We started marking smaller wolf packs of fish almost immediatly at 150' but they didn't have any interest in anything.

1631203479111.jpeg

That zone dried up quickly so we worked towards our intended numbers and ran over a few good spots of fish. We ran upswell and sent out the ballon but never marked again. There was still zero wind so we decided to make a big loop around our general zone to see if we could meter the meat vs. the occasiaonl school we were marking..

We didn't see a thing for the next 3 hours.. Where are those damn albacore!

I decided to pick up and run SW of everyone and we finally got a little wind! We pulled the throttles back, immediantly marked a school, deployed the gear and were insto bit 25' feet from the boat. Even though it wasn't the target species it was one of those bites that you neve forget seeing.

This one didn't pull very hard and we had it in the boat in about 20 minutes.

1631203172944.jpeg

Not the target species but we pressed on.

With the fish in the boat we looked at the meter and it was painted so out goes another prime albacore bait. Once again it gets smashed instantly ... by the wrong damn species.

This one was a demon. We had 30lbs of drag on the fish and it just wouldn't die. An hour and half later we had the fish at color and an hour and fourty fish we sunk 2 gaffs.

1631203507748.jpeg

1631203543042.jpeg

1631203560258.jpeg

Dejected about our failure and with a long ride home we headed out around 3 PM right after the fish hit the deck.

To add salt to the wounds the ride home was utter helmett. The weather between the islands was shockingly bad.

We'll get those long finned penguins next time, I'm sure of it!

Last edited:

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    If the Albacore won't come to you, you have to go to the Albacore.
    Visiting a friend in Newport Oregon on 9/23.

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Albies trending down in washy....they be here a bit next year and solid the year after

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Nov 28, 2003
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Lol. Y'all can definitely have my share of the albis. They have been nothing special to me since I first started catching them when I was in the 8th grade. Yft have always been my favorite tuna to catch.
    And yes, I've been on boats that have been absolutely plugged with chickens.

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Wow ya the weather and fishing looks terrible. You should just give me your boat because you guys suck dick at catching albacore. The fishing was so terrible where you were at that you blacked out your numbers on the FF

Last edited: