Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Before an elk hunt when I am practicing with my bow I will always have a diaphram call in my mouth and let out a couple of calls before I release just to get in the habit to stop the bull for the shot.

I agree, when a bull is coming getting the call in your mouth can be difficult. Easy to choke on it with all that adrenaline flowing. Getting my rangefinder out and ranging a few objects in the lane is just as tense when the bull is screaming on the way in. Then I can't remember the ranges I took just a few seconds ago. Too much shit happening really fast...

Upvote 0

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
Sep 24, 2006
Vegas
Name
Drew
Boat
18' Coleman
Before an elk hunt when I am practicing with my bow I will always have a diaphram call in my mouth and let out a couple of calls before I release just to get in the habit to stop the bull for the shot.

I agree, when a bull is coming getting the call in your mouth can be difficult. Easy to choke on it with all that adrenaline flowing. Getting my rangefinder out and ranging a few objects in the lane is just as tense when the bull is screaming on the way in. Then I can't remember the ranges I took just a few seconds ago. Too much shit happening really fast...

I am mystified why you have not posted the pic with your Bull. You're starting to slip in your old age...

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
elk.jpg

Upvote 0

csmunmun

Ametuer PETA supporter
Jun 20, 2006
Just waiting to get on the bird back to Mont-ucky
Name
chris
Boat
alluminum skiff
If you want to go Elk hunting, I second Colorado, over the counter tags for nonresidents and the largest elk Population in the country, Load up the car with a tent and speeping bag, swing by albertsons to fill the cooler, seduce some poor sucker into being your Pack mule in case you get lucky and fill your tag, and go have fun on public land, be outside and and learn some stuff the best way there is, by doing. Prep includes reading some books, and some maps, and most importantly the Regulations, practice with your bow as much as you possibly can from every position, and do some running/hiking. And remember any elk is a good elk, esspecially for a beginer.

If you want to shoot an Elk, then drop 30 grand on a fully outfitted hunt in AZ or New Mexico, maybe buy the governers tag at the auction. Let someone else do all the work for you and just make the shot when the time comes.
Anything else in between is available. No Idea what the odds of a nonresident tag in Oregon is but you can allways start somewhere simple and still apply now for the good ones and by the time you get that coveted tag of your dreams you will allready be familliar with the trials and tribulations and more trials that are elk hunting.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
San Diego area
Name
Jenni
Boat
Heart of Gold
Load up the car with a tent and speeping bag, swing by albertsons to fill the cooler, seduce some poor sucker into being your Pack mule in case you get lucky and fill your tag

hmmm.... tent I have, sleeping bag i can get, seducing some poor sucker I think I can manage LOL

You mentioned books, do have any suggestions on books to pick up?

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
playboy, penthouse and juggs will keep the pack mule happy while you're out hunting....ok you said books......ummm magazines are books no?

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Keep practicing regularly with the bow...Don't forget to bring it to the Kill~n~Grill bbq...There is an archery division for the dbar shoot...:D

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    I have elk on my property in Oregon but to hunt it you will have to show proficiency with your bow.To do it you must come to my place in ramona,and practice for two hours at least five times a week til the season starts.
    how does that sound jenni ...deal?

Upvote 0

annie girl

BLONDE/ANS GRADY
    May 26, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Anne Meyer
    Boat
    17.5 ft,Grady White, Ansgrady
    You can legally kill an elk with a bow with 40 lbs, but no lower, I have been elk hunting with a bow for quite sometime, I killed one in AZ in 2006 with 47 lbs. it was 20 yds. It has alot to do with shot placement.

Practice, practice, practice. If I get a tag this year I will get a new bow and shoot it like no tomorrow.

Go to those 3D shoots around San Diego. If you need info on those go see the guys at the Archery shop in lakeside, Jim V or Bruce will set you up. And they can teach you a few things about shooting.

I love the sport and elk hunting with a bow is the most extreme sport. Those elk are usually bugling in the Sept season. And they can just drive you crazy. There is nothing like a love sick bull elk. Especially when he is in full rut. He wants all the cows he can get.

Annie Girl out....

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 19, 2003
    Point Loma
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Artemis
    Lots of good advice here. If you want to start the application game in Western states and up your chances for drawing a good tag, let me know. I may be able to be of service.

Upvote 0

FlatWacker

Mar 2, 2010
    El Cajon, CA, USA
    Name
    Jayson
    Boat
    N/A
    Hey Tail Hooker...I was born and raised in Idaho and still go back every yer to hunt, and I wouldn't spend the money to go Elk hunting there. The wolves have the elk numbers way down. If I wanted to kill an elk and was going to hunt out of state I would either go to Colorado because of the elk numbers or Montana. Montana use to be really easy to draw and in the last couple of years has become a lot harder. As for Colorado I am not quite sure what the draw success is. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

csmunmun

Ametuer PETA supporter
    Jun 20, 2006
    Just waiting to get on the bird back to Mont-ucky
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    alluminum skiff
    hmmm.... tent I have, sleeping bag i can get, seducing some poor sucker I think I can manage LOL

You mentioned books, do have any suggestions on books to pick up?

The Complete book of Elk hunting from the RMEF is a good one, Life at full draw will get you pumped to go, pretty much anything that gives you some info on the biology and behavior of elk and the strategies used to hunt them (or any western style archery big game strategies really) is a good starging point, as well as anything about the local flora in your hunting area of choice to help you identify the local food sources. Once you get out there and start watching elk you'll find some info usefull and true most of the time, and some things people take for gospel end up being just total horseshit, Elk are like people they're all different and can act differently at any time. Good luck. Oh and make sure that tent is good and sturdy, it can get really really windy in most good elk country. I'd offer a loaner but all my gearss in Mt probably getting eaten by mice or stolen by siblings.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Fuck the therapist...

Attachments

• Scanned Photos 054B.jpg
      Scanned Photos 054B.jpg
      177.7 KB · Views: 26
    Upvote 0

IMAKECARSFAST

provider of protien
    Aug 24, 2004
    ramona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    22foot, glacierbay center console, REEL BROKE
    are you like 10 feet behind that thing????

thats like holding your fish at arms legnth close to the camera!!

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    That bull is big even if you are sitting in front of it..........
    you cant talk shit till you arrow one Brian :)

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Taking good pictures of fish and game is really an art.

I'm not that far back. I'm only 4'7" and I have my index finger planted firmly in its ass so looks can be deceiving...LOL.

Upvote 0

IMAKECARSFAST

provider of protien
    Aug 24, 2004
    ramona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    22foot, glacierbay center console, REEL BROKE
    Taking good pictures of fish and game is really an art.

I'm not that far back. I'm only 4'7" and I have my index finger planted firmly in its ass so looks can be deceiving...LOL.

:rofl:.... and the seabass in your avatar are only 5lbs???

whatever bill... sorry its only my first year hunting... and i havent hunted for them yet... i am 100% for everything else i have tried hunting for (and pig season isnt over yet)

Upvote 0

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
    Sep 24, 2006
    Vegas
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    18' Coleman
    You guys obviously haven't met Tim in person. If you had you wouldn't question how big that Elk is.

Though the picture doesn't show it, Tim has a very large melon.

This picture is a little more porportionate to real life. That's a 40# Yellow he's holding...

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    The longer I know you, the more concerned I get....

Upvote 0