i want to shoot an elk

Feb 4, 2010
San Diego area
Name
Jenni
Boat
Heart of Gold
I'm new to hunting but the one thing i really want to do is spot stalk an elk with my bow.... i just don't know where to go, or if i can afford it. Any suggestions? i have family in Bend, Oregon, how is elk hunting there?

Draw weight is a concern of mine too. I'm pulling about 40lbs now (but i'm practicing). What weight would i need at what range to get an ethical shot?

Upvote 0

Skip Jackson

Recovering LandLubber
Feb 7, 2003
Lakeside Trailer Park
Visit site
Name
Dave
Boat
31' Aiwych
to heck with the elk, you're killin me from right there

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'm new to hunting but the one thing i really want to do is spot stalk an elk with my bow.... i just don't know where to go, or if i can afford it. Any suggestions? i have family in Bend, Oregon, how is elk hunting there?

Draw weight is a concern of mine too. I'm pulling about 40lbs now (but i'm practicing). What weight would i need at what range to get an ethical shot?

:loverz:

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    /600hp ls3 powered Airboat
    have you killed anything with your bow yet? No is a ok answer as you might have a bit of a wait to get drawn for a elk tag. I would use the services of Nate ( el toro on this site ) to help you pick good places to send applications to. It could take a few years to get drawn for a elk tag. While you wait go out and shoot lots of things with your bow. pigs deer squirrels fish and anything you can get your hands on. By the time you get your tag you will have learned how to call elk and how to kill shit.

Cost can be anything from 500 to 10,000 depending on if you are doing public land or private and if you hire a guide. Elk hunting is demanding and i would plan on at least 2 weeks of hunting time if you are on public land. Guided hunts are normally 7 days.

In checking your profile you only have one friend and its Brian (IMAKECARSFAST) i would ditch him as a friend that will improve your odds a lot.

Upvote 0

Mergrath

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 13, 2006
    East County
    Name
    Tim "ShamWow" Schaeffer
    Boat
    Inflatable farm animals

Please excuse our class clown Skip Jackson! ;)

There are a few guys on here (Shocktower & SNEEKEE) who hunt up in the Oregon area. Im in sorta the same boat as you are but I'm starting to figure it out. I'm somewhat new to hunting (4-years) and a shoulder injury has me drawing @ 45lbs.

Me...I like Colorado. They have a huge elk population and allot of units that you can buy tags for over the counter. You probably don't want to go hunting with a bunch of strange, perverted, drunk guys like everyone on here except for me of course! So...I would search the internet for a quality and highly recommended guided hunt. A guided hunt will run anywhere from $2,000-$20,000.

I would also recommend joining the RMEF and attend their annual banquet which auctions off some great deals on guided hunts. You will also meet some good people in the process.

If you wanted to do a DIY hunt, the costs vary greatly depending on what type of hunting you chooses to do. I know you say spot and stalk but are we talking from a cabin, campground or a wilderness pack hunt?

The DIY Colorado hunt that I was to do last year was @ $1,200.00 and that covered everything for a 2-week hunt riding quads from a campground.

You will have to check state laws regarding the draw weights required. I have no doubt that you could get a full pass through with a 40lb draw @ 20 yards. I would say 30 yards would be your limit at 40lbs with the correct arrow and broadhead. Obviously a two blade fixed head with a heavier arrow are all things to consider as you get closer. Any bow shop would be able to get you set-up with your equipment.

Hit el joto up when he gets back from NM and he'll hook you up!

Upvote 0

gpomplin

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 13, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    A BIG RUBBER DUCK
    Please excuse our class clown Skip Jackson! ;)

There are a few guys on here (Shocktower & SNEEKEE) who hunt up in the Oregon area. Im in sorta the same boat as you are but I'm starting to figure it out. I'm somewhat new to hunting (4-years) and a shoulder injury has me drawing @ 45lbs.

Me...I like Colorado. They have a huge elk population and allot of units that you can buy tags for over the counter. You probably don't want to go hunting with a bunch of strange, perverted, drunk guys like everyone on here except for me of course! So...I would search the internet for a quality and highly recommended guided hunt. A guided hunt will run anywhere from $2,000-$20,000.

I would also recommend joining the RMEF and attend their annual banquet which auctions off some great deals on guided hunts. You will also meet some good people in the process.

If you wanted to do a DIY hunt, the costs vary greatly depending on what type of hunting you chooses to do. I know you say spot and stalk but are we talking from a cabin, campground or a wilderness pack hunt?

The DIY Colorado hunt that I was to do last year was @ $1,200.00 and that covered everything for a 2-week hunt riding quads from a campground.

Hit el joto up when he gets back from NM and he'll hook you up!
    damn I'm healing up faster than you am buying dbar's bow 70lb am now able to draw 60 for sure the surgery came out right after all...
    icon12.gif

Upvote 0

Mergrath

Oct 13, 2006
    East County
    Name
    Tim "ShamWow" Schaeffer
    Boat
    Inflatable farm animals
    In checking your profile you only have one friend and its Brian (IMAKECARSFAST) i would ditch him as a friend that will improve your odds a lot.

:rofl:!

Upvote 0

Mergrath

Oct 13, 2006
    East County
    Name
    Tim "ShamWow" Schaeffer
    Boat
    Inflatable farm animals
    damn I'm healing up faster than you am buying dbar's bow 70lb am now able to draw 60 for sure the surgery came out right after all...
    icon12.gif

I'm doing everything I can to avoid having a plastic shoulder! Hopefully I can just get back to 60lbs again...

Upvote 0

gpomplin

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 13, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    A BIG RUBBER DUCK
    I'm doing everything I can to avoid having a plastic shoulder! Hopefully I can just get back to 60lbs again...
    damn I guess that's what happens when you keep missing a stroke when you switch hands
    icon7.gif

Upvote 0

ofdscooby

Jun 10, 2009
    Oceanside
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Whatever Nic is Rollin'
    I'm not much of a local on this site but I will throw in my two cents.I did my first two elk hunts lasts year and we had a blast but you're definatly stepping up to the big leagues with every aspect of the hunt. I would suggest getting a land owner tag for a cow elk . I know in NM you can get a list of who has tags after they have been given out to the land owner then call around and see if there the land owner has any left. If you look around you should have no problem finding a cow elk tag tag for $600 to $900 bucks.

Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
    May 10, 2008
    Idyllwild, CA USA
    www.bluepacifictackle.com
    Name
    John
    Boat
    not mine
    Two guys I would suggest, John I call him Utah. He goes be Diesel 6.0 on this site. Him and his wife hunt a kill every year. Sends out jerky also. :urno1:
    or Idaho Here is a pic of what he does with a bow.

Attachments

• tn.jpeg
      tn.jpeg
      3.2 KB · Views: 311
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Kurt

Mistadobalina
    Jul 9, 2003
    Clairemont
    Visit site
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    %%%%%
    I can prolly hook you up with some CO contacts. My Ranch/Farm doesn't hold Elk but I know some fellas that have the higher stuff near Gunnison or the S West.

Aint' gonna be cheap even public land. Oregon is probably your best best. AZ for us yocals.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
    Jul 22, 2003
    Lakeside
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Killin time, Bill Collector

Now there something to strive for!

I'd get your comfort zone with the bow to at least 55lbs up to 50-60 yds. Elk are not a small animal and you can't always get close so stretching your effective range I'd get good at 70., then anything close will be.......easy?

With no experience at hunting a spot and stalk will probably require a guide or someone with a really good knowledge of the country. You better be in top notch shape. A guided elk hunt if you are after a mature bull will run you at least $4000 and up depending on what package you buy and where you hunt.

I know guys that will spend 3 g's on an unguided hunt on public land and go several years before they get one.

All it takes is money and time.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
    Sep 24, 2006
    Vegas
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    18' Coleman
    Rubberhook is a good person to contact for bow hunting Elk in AZ, and NM. If you decide to do a rilfe hunt in UT or NV I can point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0

inshore

Sep 3, 2009
    Orange County, Ca, USA
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Sold it
    The Fred Hall Show in Long Beach (don't know about Del Mar) usually has a few outfitters you could talk to. They are also expanding there seminars to include hunting this year.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    The first hurdle, as others have said, is getting the tag. Not an easy task considering states like Arizona only allocate 10% of the total tags to non-residents. You have to purchase an Arizona license just to apply ($152) then if drawn the non-res tag will run you $595. At that point you are in a position to go elk hunting in Arizona. The other option would be to purchase a land owner tag to avoid the whole tag drawing process but that could run several thousand especially for a bull elk tag on a property holding a large herd of elk.

Once you have a tag do you hire a local guide or do the hunt on your own. Hiring a local guide will run several more thousand dollars but increases your odds of not only seeing elk in the area you are hunting but also increases the odds of harvesting one. Bow hunting elk is usually done during the rut when the bulls are susceptible to calling and usually requires one or two people adept at calling to be set up downwind of your location to draw the bull to you and into bow range. Everything has to be perfect and alot can go wrong. As my guide once said, elk make a living out there and are pretty good at detecting danger. The other bowhunting option for elk is to sit on tanks (waterholes) in the afternoons in a concealed ground blind or treestand and hope a bull elk comes in for water before legal shooting time ends. Do you see a pattern here...trying to get the bull elk to come to you.

Unless you have alot of knowledge of a hunting area where you have drawn the tag, or hunt with someone who does, hunting without a guide can mean several trips of pre-scouting an area before the actual hunt begins to locate areas that hold the elk and the water holes that they use frequently in that area. The thorough knowlegde of the use of a GPS to locate these areas, many times in the dark, is critical. Getting back to your vehicle, also in the dark, or relocating your downed animal to pack it out, are also where the use of a GPS becomes extremely important.

Last but not least is the fact that the real work begins once you have been successful in harvesting your elk. After the picture taking is complete comes the work of caring for the animal. Elk are large animals and can weigh in excess of 800 pounds. The process of caring for your trophy, which you may want to have mounted and certainly will want to eat, involves gutting, skinning/caping, removing antlers if it is a bull, quartering, removing backstraps and tenderlions, and preparing the above to be packed out, which sometimes involves hanging the meat in a tree high above the ground (lots of bears, lions and wolves in elk counrty) until such time that it can be packed out of the area. I recall the first time I packed out an elk, in the dark, having a 100 pound hind quarter on my back, in terrain so steep I had to use both hands to keep from falling while holding a flashlight in my teeth. While having 100 pounds of raw elk meat strapped to me my guides continually talked about how many bears and mountain lions that had seen in that particular area as we walked in the dark. I felt like a bacon wrapped appetizer...

Elk hunting is not easy. From obtaining the tag, to locating the animal, to getting into effective bow hunting range without being detected, to making the shot with an incredible amount of adrenaline flowing, to the caring of and removal of the animal from the hunting area which can be some of the nastiest terrain known to man, bow hunting elk is a serious task. That is why I enjoy it so much. Elk hunting opportunities, drawing a quality tag in a quality area, do not come around often and when they do you want to do everything in your power to increase your odds of success.

For me that means hiring a local guide intimately familar with the area and its elk, getting in the best physical condition I can and going in with the right mental attitude.

Once you taste the rush, like all addictions, you will be back for more...

Upvote 0
    Feb 4, 2010
    San Diego area
    Name
    Jenni
    Boat
    Heart of Gold
    Thanks for all the great info!
    I will most likely be giving you guys a yell at a later date with some specific questions but I think I have a good place to start at now. An elk hunt is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and I'm sure more questions will arise.

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
    Oct 7, 2009
    Phoenix Hellazona
    Name
    Azlandlocked
    Boat
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Arizona is the spot for BIG ELK!! Lot's of open land, we are to the point where they are over grazing & crouding out the deer population. Plenty of room for you come on out & get ya one!!

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    /600hp ls3 powered Airboat
    x 4 on how hard it can be...... i had 45+ unguided days hunting time in before i got my first elk. I can not tell you how many close calls and blown stalks i had. The worst part of the deal up till i got one was that i had a broadside 10 yard shot at a 300 class bull 30 min into the first day of my first elk hunt ever. since then i have killed 3 bulls unguided :)

Learn how to use diaphragm calls. It will take a while but learning how to speak elk with a mouth call is critical to killing them

the first time you walk up on one when its dead you will say OMFG its as big as a horse how the hell am i going to move it :)

Upvote 0