I want a fishing boat she wants a cruiser...what do I buy?

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
I have a 2150 Striper Cuddy WA right now...fishes four adults uncomfortably....sleeps two adults uncomfortably...no real crapper..etc.
I want a boat just like mine but something around 26' and tow-able. She wants something with a bigger cabin / galley, full crapper and something tow-able for our Lake Mead and Lake Powell trips.
I have a 25k cash budget...how do I make us both happy?

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
25' or 26' Skipjack flybridge should make her happy and work just fine for fishing and comfort. You might have to shell just a tad more though in price.

31457.55e52a28c54360fcbd209d85.xl.jpg

5268649_20150729164217528_1_XLARGE.jpg

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Alan
Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Is the 25K before or after you sell the Striper? I just bought a Grady but it lacks the creature comfort she wants and I miss that too. I was really looking for a Wellcraft, it's what I had before. Wellcraft seems to pack more "weekender" features into their boats than others. My 248 had a small galley, enclosed head, large V berth and a quarter birth that extended under the deck suitable for a child, teen or smaller adult. The compromise is the deck area, the Grady is the same size boat but has a HUGE cockpit area compared to the 248. However it has a microscopic cuddy and no head or galley. There is a 23 Chapperal on CL that might suit you (her) but the motor is questionable. Personally I think the main reason it's hard to find weekenders here is that there is no place to go, they are popular in South Florida and the Caribbean because there are so many places to drop the hook and spend the night. Lots of I/0's out there that would meet your compromise if you want to go that way though. Countless Sea Rays and Bayliner Trophy's. My budget was a $5-8K less that yours but after 3 months I gave up on finding that boat and settled for the all "fish" Grady. JMO, FWIT, YMMV :)

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
25' or 26' Skipjack flybridge should make her happy and work just fine for fishing and comfort. You might have to shell just a tad more though in price.

31457.55e52a28c54360fcbd209d85.xl.jpg

5268649_20150729164217528_1_XLARGE.jpg

The unknown fisherman:p:

That's a heck of a vessel, I'd love to have that exact Skippy. We've actually looked at a few of them...the problem is the ones usually close to my price range seem to need a lot a cash put in to them such as interior decor updating, deck / stringer issues, flybridge upholstery and etc

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
A fishing cruiser! Skippy is nice, express, open party/fishing deck!!! Put a nice stereo on her, get a can at Avalon and,,, winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
Is the 25K before or after you sell the Striper? I just bought a Grady but it lacks the creature comfort she wants and I miss that too. I was really looking for a Wellcraft, it's what I had before. Wellcraft seems to pack more "weekender" features into their boats than others. My 248 had a small galley, enclosed head, large V berth and a quarter birth that extended under the deck suitable for a child, teen or smaller adult. The compromise is the deck area, the Grady is the same size boat but has a HUGE cockpit area compared to the 248. However it has a microscopic cuddy and no head or galley. There is a 23 Chapperal on CL that might suit you (her) but the motor is questionable. Personally I think the main reason it's hard to find weekenders here is that there is no place to go, they are popular in South Florida and the Caribbean because there are so many places to drop the hook and spend the night. Lots of I/0's out there that would meet your compromise if you want to go that way though. Countless Sea Rays and Bayliner Trophy's. My budget was a $5-8K less that yours but after 3 months I gave up on finding that boat and settled for the all "fish" Grady. JMO, FWIT, YMMV :)

My budget is 25k period.
I'm starting to think I may be looking for a unicorn.
I want something on the larger side with preferably a later model engine and fuel injection and definitely something not under powered.
She wants a modernized looking vessel inside and out with lots of indoor comforts for weekends at the island....hmmm...What gives.

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
That budget may make it a little tight. You may have to get creative. Sometimes it helps to find boats that "aren't" for sale and offer a cash offer. The advertised boats for sale get picked over pretty quickly and in your price range a gem will be picked up fast.
Looking up estate sales, talking to boaters at the ramp, looking for trade ins as they come in to a dealer. It's certainly a lot more work, but you can stretch your dollar a bit more sometimes.
It sounds like with your budget and to keep the wife happy, you will be either looking at express cruisers with a cockpit that accommodates fishing, or as said above, the Skippy style but older than the one pictured.
Just beware of the "rebuilt" boat where all the owner did was update the interior and left the engine room alone.
The engine room is where all the money is. If it looks like shit, stay away!!! I don't care how nice the new carpet is with the flatscreen in the cabin. The engine rebuild will cost far more than the interior work.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Keep your Striper and buy an RV. I got a great deal on a 30' 5th wheel that my wife loves more than fishing...I get to fish solo a lot :D

Reactions: Chuck Roast
Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
Keep your Striper and buy an RV. I got a great deal on a 30' 5th wheel that my wife loves more than fishing...I get to fish solo a lot :D

Haha...I already have a Fleetwood Revolution. She wants to RV on the water

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
When I told my wife I was buying a saltwater boat she was thinking I was getting one of those bigger cruisers etc... She was unpleasantly surprised when I rolled up with the 228 and asked "where's the shower". I reminded her that I go fishing, not boating. Going on 12 years with the boat, 26 with the wife, who gets seasick anyways.

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
You guys make some really good points...thanks for all the information and advise...much appreciated. I think we're gonna have to find us that perfect older Skippy, Bertram or Carver.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
The price for boats in Florida is about a third less than here. Something to think about.....

Reactions: lougio
Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
The price for boats in Florida is about a third less than here. Something to think about.....

I've noticed that and I've often wondered exactly how people would handle the transaction with such distance in between. I'm guessing you'd find the boat you want, request lots of photos, give a deposit, fly out to see it and have transport company deliver it. Sound about right?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I've noticed that and I've often wondered exactly how people would handle the transaction with such distance in between. I'm guessing you'd find the boat you want, request lots of photos, give a deposit, fly out to see it and have transport company deliver it. Sound about right?
Or don't fly out and have a surveyor check it.

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
Check out pro lines. You can probably get a 28 proline with full head/shower near your price range and on a trailer

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
Check out pro lines. You can probably get a 28 proline with full head/shower near your price range and on a trailer
Do you get a lot for your money with a proline? There isn't many out there for sale.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Do you get a lot for your money with a proline? There isn't many out there for sale.
Great bang for the buck. We have a 22WA with low hour 5.7l Mercruiser and it is awesome and very solid for the price. We drove to Arizona for a killer deal. Deck is rock solid, very few stress cracks, overall build quality is good. Hull is fairly thick and stiff. The swim step it came with is very nice and well supported.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I looked at a 30' proline a few years ago. The boat itself had been neglected, but I was impressed with the layout. It had all the amenities of a big cabin cruiser, but it also had the deck and rod storage of a fishing boat. With twin 200 hp zukes, it probably moved pretty good too.

Upvote 0