CA Halibut,DoDos,YT,Albies,Rockfish,Lings,Crappie
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    🚤
    I need you all's (/deepsouth) help, please.
    Youngest looking seriously at UCSB.
    I've never been there.
    When she gets an answer back, my wife and I will be traveling* down there a good deal, hopefully.
    So....
    my questions:
    1. Top 3 fish targeted out of there on a day trip?
    2. How is the fishing? I've seen shows where even a bottom fishing trip is a tad weak. Is this typical?
    3. Best months?
    4. 4-6 packs out of there?
    5. if 4-6 packs aren't available, best "cattle" boats?
    6. restaurant recommendations? Fish restaurants are extra credit.

I, as always, thank all of you for your input.

*I was going to write "my wife and I are going down there", but I know you guys too well to leave myself that open. :D

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    A lot of questions there….. SEA landing has the Stardust. Summer fishing would be SWRF, Kelp Bass, Halibut, and WSB. Haven’t fished up that way in a while. Seafood Restaurant…..Brophy Brothers is pretty good.

Reactions: Tifoso
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat Name
    uh....
    Check out Cisco’s for party boats.

It gets rough in that area, so keep an eye out on the weather.

I have no idea what seafood restaurants are around there or what’s good, but in isla vista where UCSB is, there’s Freebirds. Kick ass burritos there!

Edit: my buddy’s ex wife (girlfriend at the time) was a student there. I personally couldn’t stand her, but I would often go along just for Freebirds.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Stardust and coral sea out of sea landing. If you like rockfish you’ll love it. That’s pretty much all they do here. If there’s sea bass at the front side of Santa Rosa island coral sea will chase those at times. Calico bass and surface fish here pretty much die of old age There’s a really nice 6 pack boat but the name escapes me
    40 minute drive down to Oxnard Is Channel Islands sport fishing. Lots of boats there that have the islands dialed in. 1/2 day to 3 day trips. Ventura has a few good boats too
    Really good kayak fishing right in front of UCSB if you like that

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Restaurants here? Throw a stick and you’ll hit a restaurant. Seafood ?Lure is good, brophy brothers is good but busy crowded with small tables and people standing all over. Not that fun. beach the boathouse at hendry’s beach, right on the sand, great place for dinner and cocktails at sunset. If you want fresh to prepare yourself the harbor on Saturday mornings has a bunch of commercial boats selling right off the boat

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    I think the name of the 6 pack boat out of SB was Wavewalker, Capt. David Bacon and daughter Tiffany ran it. I don’t know if it still runs, call the tackle store “Hook, Line, and Sinker” up there

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat Name
    soon2B
    I think the name of the 6 pack boat out of SB was Wavewalker, Capt. David Bacon and daughter Tiffany ran it. I don’t know if it still runs, call the tackle store “Hook, Line, and Sinker” up there
    Nope. They sold Hook Line and Sinker (to another father/daughter team)
    Trying to sell the Wavewalker (maybe already did)

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    Monterey
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat Name
    18 Sfringari
    A lot of questions there….. SEA landing has the Stardust. Summer fishing would be SWRF, Kelp Bass, Halibut, and WSB. Haven’t fished up that way in a while. Seafood Restaurant…..Brophy Brothers is pretty good.
    No more Sea Landing. Re-named Santa Barbara Landing. Swami 805 will have the best intell because he lives in Santa Barbara.

Reactions: Tifoso and marlyn
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Honestly,
    Santa Barbara Landing is the easiest to do. The Stardust is gonna be the easiest boat to get on. The rock fishing is awesome, great quality. Rockfish are awesome breaded and deep fried. I think they'd be awesome Kentucky fried and slapped into a po'boy.

Just rent rods the first time. The deckies will do everything except catch fish for you. They will even hook & hand if your wife is struggling to hook a fish.

Look up "mojarras fritas" in SB, and call the places one by one til you find one that will cook your fish for you. Bring your catch, whole or filleted, your pref, to the restaurant.

6-pak, you're looking at 4 figures from what I heard last.

Lompoc has a wine scene going on.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    There’s another 6 pack here, I believe it’s a tricked out 32’ radon. I’ve seen the boat, awesome. Mucho $$$ but purpose built for the islands

Upvote 0

Tifoso

CA Halibut,DoDos,YT,Albies,Rockfish,Lings,Crappie
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    🚤
    I love how a place that is 5 hours south of me is “up there” for you guys. :oops::D

Reactions: pete j and Tom123
    Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    There’s another 6 pack here, I believe it’s a tricked out 32’ radon. I’ve seen the boat, awesome. Mucho $$$ but purpose built for the islands
    You thinking of the FinAddict? Jim Klein's boat? That pup is actually a 42' Radon if I remember correctly. Biggest one Don has ever splashed, at least as of the time it was built. That thing is a beast, been lucky enough to be on it many times. If you want BIG rockfish and lings, that's a great boat to be on. But yes, it'll cost you. There are at least one or two other six-packs in town, just don't have any personal experience with them.

Coral Sea and Stardust are both part of the same great operation, virtually guaranteed rockfish limits 10 months of the year, with some occasional surface fishing thrown in from time to time. Very good quality RF for the most part, less so if they're running 1/2 day. 3/4 day trips almost always fish either Santa Rosa Island or the coast up north of Gaviota, which they have pretty much to themselves.

For gamefish (yellowtail, white seabass, and potentially large halibut), you'll want to head down to CISCO's, as others have mentioned. The Aloha Spirit, Mirage, and the sixpack Greylight (same owner as the AS) are all great choices. Rockfishing out of CISCO's sucks unless you get on an overnight boat to fish the outer islands.

So many good restaurants in town it's silly. I'll second Lure for fish. Good quality at fairly reasonable prices. Best burger that's not a boat burger is Mesa Burger, for my money.

Brophy's is as much about the bar scene as it is about the food, but it's definitely a fun spot in a great location (in the harbor). Just tends to be a bit of a zoo. I think of it as the place that locals go, but also bring their friends from out of town to, as well.

Reactions: Tifoso and ripped
    Upvote 0

smallpond

Almost A Member
    Apr 7, 2007
    california
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    none
    Santa barbara sportfishing.
    Went last Saturday. 3/4 day trip to rosa
    Halibut, reds chucks, and lings.
    Very nice boat. I thought the price was resonable for the product and service provided.
    Not sure about food spots, but there was a few seafood vendors at the harbor on Sat am. Selling fresh caught.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    You thinking of the FinAddict? Jim Klein's boat? That pup is actually a 42' Radon if I remember correctly. Biggest one Don has ever splashed, at least as of the time it was built. That thing is a beast, been lucky enough to be on it many times. If you want BIG rockfish and lings, that's a great boat to be on. But yes, it'll cost you. There are at least one or two other six-packs in town, just don't have any personal experience with them.

Coral Sea and Stardust are both part of the same great operation, virtually guaranteed rockfish limits 10 months of the year, with some occasional surface fishing thrown in from time to time. Very good quality RF for the most part, less so if they're running 1/2 day. 3/4 day trips almost always fish either Santa Rosa Island or the coast up north of Gaviota, which they have pretty much to themselves.

For gamefish (yellowtail, white seabass, and potentially large halibut), you'll want to head down to CISCO's, as others have mentioned. The Aloha Spirit, Mirage, and the sixpack Greylight (same owner as the AS) are all great choices. Rockfishing out of CISCO's sucks unless you get on an overnight boat to fish the outer islands.

So many good restaurants in town it's silly. I'll second Lure for fish. Good quality at fairly reasonable prices. Best burger that's not a boat burger is Mesa Burger, for my money.

Brophy's is as much about the bar scene as it is about the food, but it's definitely a fun spot in a great location (in the harbor). Just tends to be a bit of a zoo. I think of it as the place that locals go, but also bring their friends from out of town to, as well.
    Spot on. I lived there for 42 years and though it has changed in many ways, it will always be a jewel.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Do you dive?

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Yes, Finaddic is the one I’m thinking of, beautiful boat, never fished it but heard nothing but good things
    For a good dining experience try the Tee-Off on upper state. Old school leather booths, really good food, nice bar. Not some trendy place. steaks, chops, fish

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Used to be my favorite landing for sport boat bass fishing--spots straight out in front, ten-fifteen minutes of boat driving, barely had time to rig up. Some really good spots were up the coast on the 3/4 day trip, Naples and Isla Vista rock (each now in MPAs), plus Ellwood for larger fish in snaggy bottom (can still fish there). More inshore reefs farther up the coast. WSB scattered around that whole area, sometimes ganging up down by carp. These days, the sporties fish rockfish almost exclusively now, unless conditions absolutely beg otherwise. Shoot across to Santa Rosa, or if it's too windy, can also be very good along coast. Good fishin'!

Reactions: One_Leg and Tifoso
    Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    Probably really belongs in "trip reports" but I'll follow up by saying that I fished the Coral Sea yesterday. Great boat, great crew.

Started of at Santa Rosa, looking for some flatties. After awhile with no love, captain Rafa repositioned the boat. Shortly after, my buddy gets picked up, and about 15 seconds later, I'm on, too. Turned out to be a couple of decent schoolie white seabass. A drop or two later, we're both bit again, this time on a nice flattie that had eaten both of our baits. Good thing we're friends - we just split the fish, no worries.

The next few hours were a slow pick on the seabass and halibut, for a total of nine seabass and three halibut. Then, onto an hour of shallow water rockfishing to fill out some sacks. All in perfect, flat-calm weather.

When we got in, we talked with the captain of the other boat at that landing, the Stardust. Captain Sal had gone deep (also at Rosa), limited on good quality reds and assorted rockfish.

So, there's a snapshot of a day of spring fishing out of SB Landing.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    Don’t put too much money on WSB’s and halibut as an everyday deal out of here.
    Truth! I've been fishing out of this landing for 35 years, hundreds of trips, first time I ever caught a seabass and a halibut on the same day was last Friday. Probably be another 35 years before I do it again. For the most part, if you fish out of here, it's gonna be rockfish.

Upvote 0