I wanna shoot some geese

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by el Toro, Oct 24, 2005.

1. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    OK dudes. I'm almost embarassed to say this but I've never shot a goose. Just never had the chance. I want to put one on the wall this year. Can someone suggest a place for me to go? I don't have all the dekes and shit so this would probably need to be a guided deal. I don't mind paying for a guide I just don't want to get hosed.

Any place close to So Cal? Salton Sea or Co river? Honkers would be preferable but snows would suffice.

2. BluefinCurly

BluefinCurly Skipper

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    There are already snow's in the Wister area, but I don't know of anyone specifically guiding open hunts.

Your best bet may be to book a hunt at the Sportsman's Club at Ciblola.
    The Honkers start arriving on the full moon in Nov, usually around Thanskgiving. I would try and book between then and mid December for the best shot.

3. Rob E

Rob E Yo soy su poppi...

Name:
    Rob Espinosa
    Boat:
    La launcha se fue...
    If you go, please post a report.

We have a place on the river near Walter's Camp and we hunted that area quite a bit several years ago. 10-12 years ago, the honkers were thick at Cibola (20,000+) and you could pass shoot them next to the Sportsman's Club, as well as from the river frontage road. However, the past several years, there have been very few birds, and they tend to stay on the refuge. I think it has something to do with the way the refuge manage manages the crops, it has kept the majority of the birds on the refuge.

Anyone else shoot this are the past few years?

Rob

4. BluefinCurly

BluefinCurly Skipper

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    I forgot to mention another guide who freelances by the name of Rick Francis. He has it pretty dialed on private property adjacent to Cibola.
    I'll get his # for you if you like.

Its been a few years since I shot Pretty Water or the firing line. know guys that dedicate a lot of time to doing just that, and they put up some pretty convincing numbers by the end of the season. But thats not my bag.
    I would much rather put in the effort to decoy.

My son and I had a decent opener, but the only moment we will remember from the whole weekend is cutting a pair of mallards out of a flock and having them work to the call and the spread so we can say "Take-Em" when they're fully committed, butts drop, feet down and you can see their eyes.

5. Zoomer

Zoomer Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    I'm in the Ft.Mohave area and we get our share of honkers and snows
    but I have always heard the cibola is the place. Lot of indian land around here
    and it costs you a 30 buck permit to hunt the fields.(both sides of the river) Read alot about some
    up-grades going on down at the Havasu Refuge but havent been down there
    latley.
    Good luck

6. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    The best goose hunting is out of state unfortunately!

But there can be some good goosing at Wister, this is last December

[​IMG]

You gotta get a good res card to get'm though! Get your res cards in now!

7. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    Toro

I just shot my first goose this past weekend. Unfortunately I was up in Syracuse NY. They are THICK right now. They're tough little fuckers - wary as hell. I've got a bruise on my shoulder from shooting 12ga 3" mags.

The first 2 I shot were over an amazingly pristine pond with the fall foliage reflected off the water. It was great to watch the sun come up and see the geese coming across the pond. It ruined their day when I plugged two of them. They were flying about 10 yards off the H2o in a perfect V. Unbelievable. I wish I'd had a video camera.

Then 2 days later we were hunting in a field that had probably 500 geese on it. 2 of us sneaked into position and one guy with a dog stalked and flushed them. I don't know what their problem was but I shot my two - I was using an over an under and couldn't reload fast enough to get another shot. They both missed. . . So, we set up decoys and were joined by 2 guys with calls. It is cool as hell to to watch the flock turn and come back when you call them. It took us a while to get the formula with the decoys right but we got a few of them to come in and land right in the middle of the decoys.

The decoys unfortunately were a little out of range as we were hiding in the edge of the woods and the geese don't like to land very close to the woods. We'd pick them off as they landed or took off over us on the way to the decoys.

All in all a great weekend. If you add the pheasant I shot on Friday it was a pretty damn good weekend.

Now, I need to find a piggie.

8. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Awesome. Nice work on the geese.

9. Fresh One

Fresh One Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    none
    Try Alberta Canada bro. I'll be posting pics and details soon. The last day of our shoot, we seriously had no less than 250,000 geese fly over us. It was silly. Wave after wave of honkers.

10. fishingkid

fishingkid Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    N/A
    any body ever tryed smoked geese aww man i had some the other day from a buddy of mine.dam that stuff was good.just as good as smoked fish.aww i couldnt beleive the taste i thought it would be awful but i couldnt stop eating it.

11. ztunamann

ztunamann Newbie

Name:
    Zimm
    Boat:
    Crusty
    Nate, you got the duck thing pegged? I am looking to do some duck hunting and sorry to say...I'm clueless on it! Want to show a brotha the way?

Zimm

12. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Newbie

Name:
    Valarie
    Boat:
    24ft Grady White, Misanity
    I've tried smoked goose and you're right, it's awesome! I have one in the freezer that I'm taking in this weekend to be smoked and another 20 or so that I'm having ground into sausage. It turns out really good and tasty!

Val