I thought Mt Lions didn't hunt in groups?

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by Aggro, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    cougar3.jpg

Dbar should love this one :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

cougar2.jpg

2. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Do not like!

3. stevefwolfe

stevefwolfe Member

Name:
    Wolf
    Boat:
    yes I have one
    Where and when was this taken. Very not cool. I would be happy to fund a PETA study. We could buy theme coyote calls and have them walk around at night blowing hard and counting cats.

4. turkeyman85

turkeyman85 Lastlighttaxidermy.com

Name:
    Juan
    Boat:
    Jenny
    I've been hearing about this quite a bit lately. Boone had one up in the pro shop for awhile but I never saw it. The latest was deer hunting this year an ole timer that's hunts in my honey hole said he's watched 4 adult lions hunting together. That spot was closed for about three years and is a bit far for hunters to hike and pull a deer out. Well they opened the gate I think last year and he counted 13 shooter bucks and 43 mix of does and yearlings. This Swanson only one buck was spotted the whole season. Kinda sad.

5. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    2010. Not sure the location though. It does blow out of the water the sermon that they are solitary hunters. Even if it's kin and multiple years of cats.

6. TUNA VIKING

TUNA VIKING TIGHT LINES..............

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    SOLD IT
    It kinda makes a guy think they should open up hunting on them just a little. Give the hounds man back there rights especially in California and open up the the number of tags in the western United States. In my opinion you would see the number of deer come back ten fold. The other thing that pisses me off is all the environmental groups that put in for lion or bear and bobcat tags in states with limited entry draws on these animals that never have any interest in hunting the animal they draw tags for. They should have to prove they spent time in the field or at least that there was a pursuit on these animals if they can't do that black list there ass. Real sportsman will have no problem proving they tried to punch there tag. Don't get me wrong I love Lions but they need to be controlled if we all want to continue to hunt deer. I hope that picture is bogus it said 2010 was when it was shot I would like to go try to find any deer sign in that area now. I will get off my rant now.

7. yakergreg

yakergreg Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Crestliner Angler
    I'm not buying it. Time lapse.... single cat???? Come on now!

8. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    A buddy of mine was up north over the Christmas holiday and he ran into a warden. As they were talking lions and bears came up and he said there are so many lions it's crazy. Off the record he said a lion season would be good for the deer herds. He also said in three years the bear population will be out of control worse than the lions. His last statement was how fucked up this state is when comes to predator control.

But on a good note the F&W are close to taking pigs off the big game list and make them nongame so we can hunt them at night but still no baiting.

Like I have always said SSS

9. FWebb

FWebb Newbie

Name:
    Forrest
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521 w/Yami SHO 250
    Something a little fishy about the photo. I have spent a good amount of time hunting lions and have never seen any evidence that they hunt in groups/prides... That being said the lion I killed this year had 1 elk and 2 deer kills that were less than a week old and I definitely think California's deer herd would benefit if lion hunting was reopened. They are awesome animals but they need to be controlled.

10. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    They have some trail cams/web cams around a state park I hunt quail at....last year they caught 4 lions hunting and killing some mule deer at a water hole. I'll try to dig up the photos. Pretty rad.

11. Jacobian00

Jacobian00 Fishin Fool

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    reel fun
    California's big horn sheep herds would also benefit from lion hunting reopening. I have been considering setting up a trail camera to see what is patroling the open area around my neighborhood. We could see the helicopters when one ate a mountain biker a few years back and a neighborhood blogger took some pictures of a cougar behind their house. Cougars are on the golf courses in Coto and Dove Canyon, so they are surely around our house too. It is only a matter of time until we see more attacks in my opinion.

The Seattle times report show the picture with a caption that says, "One cougar snarls as eight cougars congregate on a rock cliff near Moses Coulee in Central Washington in this image captured Dec. 23 by a remote motion-sensor camera." The story goes on to say, "Brad Thomas captured the images a few days before Christmas on a trail camera, triggered by a motion sensor, set up on private land in Douglas County. He submitted a disc of photos to cougar experts with the state. After reviewing and discussing the images among themselves, the biologists declared the pictures extraordinary — a rare glimpse of fellowship among the West's common but elusive mountain lions.
    "The pictures are 100 percent legit," said Jon Gallie, the assistant district biologist with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife in Wenatchee.

Thomas initially set the cameras up along an old cattle trail to get pictures of deer and bobcat. What he mostly captured instead were cougars — first one, then two and eventually many more."

12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    He neighbor. I have documented proof of a cougar near my home. The fresh deer kill, tracks and blood trail where the Mt. Lion hid the remains. Made my hair stand up on the back of my neck. My son came across it, as he was exiting one of our local trails, and I went back and checked it out...snapped a few pics.

You could see where the lion first fed on it, and drug it up a hillside, and jammed into some bushes. What s scary, this is right behind a Little League Field, and a Dog Park. I'm sure you now the area i am talking about.

My buddy has seen two while, Mt. Bike riding. It was a mother and a cub, down by the bridge, the goes over the 241 near O'neil park. I'm always on the look out when i use our trails. Its just a matter of time before we have another Whiting Ranch style attack.

13. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Shouldn't have built homes so close to where they live......

14. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    :rofl: :rofl:

15. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    This one went right behind the house down San Juan Creek Trail. Saw another one mountain biking where San Juan joins Tijeras Creek.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vickers-553082-lions-mountain.html

Some hunting is needed, I don't advocate wiping them out, no way, but there are too many, too close. Helps that every track down here was designed to create a network of wildlife access to open areas like CNF, but that means we spend more time "together".

16. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    A fn Men Brother.