I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 21, 2003
OB
Name
mark
Boat
19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
wanted to put it on fishing reports, so for what it is worth:
Started late, hit LJ for nada, but great conditions. Clear clean 70 degree water, lots of bait down deep.
I blew it off at about 1 pm to go look around outside (then, naturally the New Seaforth killed the yellows in the afternoon there at LJ)

Ran out about 15 miles but got windy. Again, really nice conditions clear, clean water, 73+ temp. just not much happening. did pick up two small skipjack on the troll:

Here's the rescue part:
Heard a sailboat called "Let It Be" calling for help to the CG.
Female on the Let it Be stating that a 39 year old male had fallen overboard and from the side of the conversation that I could hear, she did not know how to turn the sailboat around, or wasn't able to at the time.
They had eyes on the "swimmer" for a while but lost him in the distance (Holy Shit would I have been panicked)
Luckily, one of the Tow boat companies (I think Tow boat US) out of Avalon was listening in an ran out there.
After a while, they found the guy and caught up to the sail boat. The CG sent a cutter to meet up with them too.
If anyone has more details, feel free to chime in. I just wanted to reinforce the notion that it can get hairy out there and am thankful for the Tow boat dudes.

Queenfish...............................out

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Sailboats are a ton of fun when you're sailing well, but most cruisers have few (if any) other souls aboard who can actually handle the boat, let alone a rescue op. Hope whoever went overboard is ok

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
wanted to put it on fishing reports, so for what it is worth:
Started late, hit LJ for nada, but great conditions. Clear clean 70 degree water, lots of bait down deep.
I blew it off at about 1 pm to go look around outside (then, naturally the New Seaforth killed the yellows in the afternoon there at LJ)

Ran out about 15 miles but got windy. Again, really nice conditions clear, clean water, 73+ temp. just not much happening. did pick up two small skipjack on the troll:

Here's the rescue part:
Heard a sailboat called "Let It Be" calling for help to the CG.
Female on the Let it Be stating that a 39 year old male had fallen overboard and from the side of the conversation that I could hear, she did not know how to turn the sailboat around, or wasn't able to at the time.
They had eyes on the "swimmer" for a while but lost him in the distance (Holy Shit would I have been panicked)
Luckily, one of the Tow boat companies (I think Tow boat US) out of Avalon was listening in an ran out there.
After a while, they found the guy and caught up to the sail boat. The CG sent a cutter to meet up with them too.
If anyone has more details, feel free to chime in. I just wanted to reinforce the notion that it can get hairy out there and am thankful for the Tow boat dudes.

Queenfish...............................out

Tow Boat US out of Avalon is a TOP NOTCH operation with some amazing captains running that outfit. Would not be surprised if they saved the day.

How hard is it to lower sails? People causing chaos with a MOB on a sunny SoCal day in 73 degree water drive me nuts. Bad on the captain! Takes maybe 5 minutes to teach the basics of boat operation in the case of incapacitation and/or MOB. All crew should have a clue if you are leaving the demarcation line. I am grateful for the boaters license requirement starting next year. I do hope it forces people to learn these basic safety requirements.

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
Maybe it was on autopilot. So the helm wheel
didn't steer. Scary event for sure.

Reactions: Reel hip

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Big Props to Tow Boat Us - Avalon, or whatever tow boat company responded. Outstanding job guys.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Scary chit

TowBoatUS

Aug 7, 2008
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Heather Sheward
Boat
30 Pursuit
Hi- I was the TowBoatUS dispatcher who was relaying for the rescue between TowboatUS Catalina and the USCG. Capt. Nathan Lins heard the mayday call and immediately headed into that direction. He arrived on-scene with the vessel hailing mayday, within 10 minutes of call, and the woman on board gave Nathan the GPS coordinates of where the man fell overboard. She took a picture of the GPS!! Nathan headed towards the GPS coordinates which was 1.5 miles away from the boat. Miraculously, Captain Lins was able to locate the gentleman even with the waves picking up. His head was barley above water and he was unable to swim to our towboat. Captain Nathan then threw him a seat cushion to hang on to while he could maneuver the towboat closer. When Captain Nathan was close enough, he pulled him aboard his vessel with pure adrenaline because he was exhausted and couldn't help bring himself aboard. Great job to our TowBoatUS Catalina Captain Nathan Lins for saving this mans life!
This is such a great opportunity to learn something positive from a possibly tragic situation. Make sure that your first mate and all other people aboard your vessel know how to operate your vessel in case of an emergency.
Cheers!
Heather Sheward
AVP Towing Department
BoatUS

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Let me chime in here..... One of my favorite scenarios for a MOB on a sailboat is the inability for the subject to regain access to the deck. Many times the subject ends up hanging on the side of the boat unable to muster enough strength to pull themselves over the rail (or even hurt and somewhat incapacitated) with the crew not being able to handle the dead weight bent over the side. This scenario happens, but there is an easy way to handle this scenario especially on a sailboat..... Ap

tunacraze

Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
Let me chime in here..... One of my favorite scenarios for a MOB on a sailboat is the inability for the subject to regain access to the deck. Many times the subject ends up hanging on the side of the boat unable to muster enough strength to pull themselves over the rail (or even hurt and somewhat incapacitated) with the crew not being able to handle the dead weight bent over the side. This scenario happens, but there is an easy way to handle this scenario especially on a sailboat..... Ap
So, what is it?

Reactions: Cubeye

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Boarding ladder? Dock hook between the legs? I've been fortunate to sail on several race boats with open transoms so MOB was reasonably easy the one time we had to execute it. Those boats don't have motors so we had to maneuver back and deploy a throwable. Once we got him to the transom it was easy to pull him in, especially since our captain required PFDs

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Oh yeah...Just take a line and tie it off to the opposite side of the boat from the victim. Take a length of the line and have it go over the side board of where the victim is located down by the cockpit. Have excess line in the water and terminate the line on a winch. Have the victim lie next to the hull parallel, not straight up and down and grab the middle of the line in the water having the line in between the victim and the hull, pulling the over the victim and back into the boat. The victim should now be cradled in the two loops of line created by this action. By pulling on the loop from inside the boat you have just created a 2nd class lever, and you can log roll the victim into the boat effectively reducing the load by half. If you not strong enough, have the apex of the loop go around a stantion or a loop of line and use the winch to crank the victim back into the boat. I have a ladder on the back of my boat but that does not do much for an incapacitated victim. Then there is the 'Fishermans Method"..........Use the gaff's..............Ap

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Watched that stupid Baywatch remake movie last weekend and my favorite part was when the lifeguard kept asking the boat on fire for their location over and over,then a voice comes over the radio and says,'Our location is the Ocean Pinche gringa!'

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Hi- I was the TowBoatUS dispatcher who was relaying for the rescue between TowboatUS Catalina and the USCG. Capt. Nathan Lins heard the mayday call and immediately headed into that direction. He arrived on-scene with the vessel hailing mayday, within 10 minutes of call, and the woman on board gave Nathan the GPS coordinates of where the man fell overboard. She took a picture of the GPS!! Nathan headed towards the GPS coordinates which was 1.5 miles away from the boat. Miraculously, Captain Lins was able to locate the gentleman even with the waves picking up. His head was barley above water and he was unable to swim to our towboat. Captain Nathan then threw him a seat cushion to hang on to while he could maneuver the towboat closer. When Captain Nathan was close enough, he pulled him aboard his vessel with pure adrenaline because he was exhausted and couldn't help bring himself aboard. Great job to our TowBoatUS Catalina Captain Nathan Lins for saving this mans life!
This is such a great opportunity to learn something positive from a possibly tragic situation. Make sure that your first mate and all other people aboard your vessel know how to operate your vessel in case of an emergency.
Cheers!
Heather Sheward
AVP Towing Department
BoatUS
Now about those life jackets you have stowed down below deck ...

cbadcrew

Mar 1, 2008
carlsbad ca
Name
joeb1
Boat
2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
In CA, you have two choices for crew: a Russian tractor driver who can pull you on board or a hot blonde who makes a nice figurehead on the bow with a glass of merlot.....Hey, the positive side is she took a pic of the gps and not a selfie!
That she had Cel service & could send a pic was PURE........

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
OB
Name
mark
Boat
19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
Heather, the reason i posted this was to see if some of the players eould chime in. I could usually only hear half of the conversation.
Thank you.
Please extend my sincere thanks and deep gratitude to Capt Lins for his heroic action.
TOW BOAT U.S. Rocks.
Mark

sushimi

Mar 4, 2007
ORANGE
Name
Sam
Boat
Edgewater 185cc
I've been a member of boat US for over a decade! wouldn't begin another fishing season without it. There were a few times when I really needed them and they were always there and went above and beyond!!! I can't say enough about those guys who run the boats and the service of vessel assist! Keep it up boat US!! We are fortunate to have you on our coast!

Reactions: VesselAssist

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Glad to hear they found the guy. He was lucky.

Every time I have brand new people on board, I go through a cheesy 5 minute lesson showing them how to turn the boat on and off, how to steer the boat, how to use the radio, where the ladder is and where the life jackets and flares are.

Reactions: VesselAssist

bottomdweller

Sep 28, 2004
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Michael
Boat
210 CC, Triumph, Honey Pie
Excellent work by BoatUS!! You dont suck at fishing... its the season that is to blame as fishing sucks in 2017 (too much bait in the channel), that's my excuse.