RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
Considering offloading our Alum. boat and converting a boat over the winter. Thought a reality check might be in order before taking the plunge. I have shop space and proficient at marine wiring/ rigging so that part isn't of concern. Mainly looking for input from folks who have done a conversion and have input or things they would do different.

Our family is growing and we're looking for more room and comfort than our current 20' day trip boat. We're considering 24-27' hardtop glass boats with bulkhead. Sea Sport, Osprey and Skagit Orca come to mind.

Above the cost of boat, i'm spit balling the costs below. Speak up if i'm grossly out of line on the value of something. Is there an actual market to sell I/O setup after it's pulled?

Bracket: $5-7500 (installed by fabricator)

Twin 150-200 outboards: $30k

Outboard controls: $2500??

Hydraulic steering with auto pilot: $3500??

Am I crazy to think it could be pulled off for $45K?

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Considering offloading our Alum. boat and converting a boat over the winter. Thought a reality check might be in order before taking the plunge. I have shop space and proficient at marine wiring/ rigging so that part isn't of concern. Mainly looking for input from folks who have done a conversion and have input or things they would do different.

Our family is growing and we're looking for more room and comfort than our current 20' day trip boat. We're considering 24-27' hardtop glass boats with bulkhead. Sea Sport, Osprey and Skagit Orca come to mind.

Above the cost of boat, i'm spit balling the costs below. Speak up if i'm grossly out of line on the value of something. Is there an actual market to sell I/O setup after it's pulled?

Bracket: $5-7500 (installed by fabricator)

Twin 150-200 outboards: $30k

Outboard controls: $2500??

Hydraulic steering with auto pilot: $3500??

Am I crazy to think it could be pulled off for $45K?
Your close. I would add 2k to steering number. Engines with controls can be done for 35k depending on brand and flyby wire controls. The best bang for the buck would be a used Yamaha 350. Depending on your usage it’s a flywheel every other oil change. Yamaha gives them to you for free for the life of the engine. Takes 30 minutes to change. I have converted 2 26’ ospreys

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Unless you are given the boat you will have to add that cost in so lets say 20g for boat and trailer. Then add at least another 10g for electronics and another 7.5g for contingency costs and all of a sudden your $45,000 becomes 82,500. Compare that to used boats already having an outboard and what monies you would need to update them and you will have a better idea of the economics.

Upvote 0

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
Unless you are given the boat you will have to add that cost in so lets say 20g for boat and trailer. Then add at least another 10g for electronics and another 7.5g for contingency costs and all of a sudden your $45,000 becomes 82,500. Compare that to used boats already having an outboard and what monies you would need to update them and you will have a better idea of the economics.
Where are you going to find one of the boats he mentioned for 20k? More like 40 plus and that's in not so good shape. So now you are well over 100k

Upvote 0

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
Just buy a boat that is already set up the way you want it. You will spend more than you can imagine unless you a pro glass guy with loads of free time and hookups

Upvote 0

RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
Your close. I would add 2k to steering number. Engines with controls can be done for 35k depending on brand and flyby wire controls. The best bang for the buck would be a used Yamaha 350. Depending on your usage it’s a flywheel every other oil change. Yamaha gives them to you for free for the life of the engine. Takes 30 minutes to change. I have converted 2 26’ ospreys

Good info, Thanks! I've driven both single and twin powered boats but never in the same hull design, do you think much stability is gained with twins vs a single 350? Trim tabs would be installed either way. Flywheel changes don't scare me away if the pros outweighed. My thoughts were first stability for when your crew doesn't stay put and secondly redundancy on engines.

Upvote 0

RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
The prices I spit balled were for OB conversion only. I think a boat in the brand/ size I mentioned come with a $35-50k price tag, depending on condition. $90k package before updating electronics would be hopeful. The cheapest i'm finding used 500 hour boats with the specs i'm looking for are $130-170k and most still need $10k in electronics to be up to date. You guys seeing boats cheaper?

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
If stability on plane is important you may want to eliminate a few of the boats on your list. I would encourage you to ride and drive as many models you are interested in before pulling the trigger, whether it is one with outboards already or a potential conversion project. Twins always seem to stabilize a hull on step a bit better than a single. Best idea would be to find a hull that is not hyper sensitive to begin with.

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
If I was still shopping I would buy this one. (Doesn’t have bulkhead but would be Killer platform and the conversion already done)

Reactions: Cap'n Coldeye
Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
If I was still shopping I would buy this one. (Doesn’t have bulkhead but would be Killer platform and the conversion already done)
That’s a pretty sexy looking conversion right there. I am however always leery of an outboard conversion on hulls that never came factory with an outboard option. Some of those boats that were originally designed for the weight of the powerplant low in the hull can become a totally different animal when you bolt an outboard or two on and totally change the cg. Some serious seatrial time would be needed at the very least.

Reactions: Captain Decent
Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
That’s a pretty sexy looking conversion right there. I am however always leery of an outboard conversion on hulls that never came factory with an outboard option. Some of those boats that were originally designed for the weight of the powerplant low in the hull can become a totally different animal when you bolt an outboard or two on and totally change the cg. Some serious seatrial time would be needed at the very least.
True, conversions are always a risk, but that Albe 27 model is only made in outboard now (like the Carolina Classic 25) so assuming the conversion was well done and fuel tanks put in right place to balance things out the hull should perform well... anyways it isn’t exactly what the OP wants but who doesn’t like to look at sexy boats?

Reactions: Wild Bill
Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
2 Skipjack Sports Cruisers both under construction
Have you considered something like a Skipjack 25 Sport Cruiser? I don't know if anyone has converted one to an out board but there is always a first. A member down here just finished a skipjack 20, came out beauitiful. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/1970-skipjack-open.706952/ I have a 1980 sport cruiser that I am looking to sell for 3500. Just had the stringers redone, and new fuel tank. I ended up with too many boats!!!! This one needs work, but good bones. http://skipjack-boats.com/history_25sc.html

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I used to think that you could do no better than an outboard but changed my mind after living down south. You get way more bang for the buck with I/O’s period. I/O’s are faster, cheaper, just as reliable when maintained and parts are a fraction of what outboard parts cost. Think your boat is fast? Go fish a tournament in Florida and your ass will get smoked. Even the center consoles with quad 300’s get destroyed by a Sport/Fish style boats running high performance I/O’s. The more drives you have in the water the more HP you have to make to overcome that drag. With an I/O you have almost unlimited HP potential per outdrive compared to an outboard. For 25k you can have a pump gas 800hp engine with a bulletproof outdrive. How much does it cost to get that going the outboard route? Speed isn’t everything but a fast boat is usually an efficient boat when running at cruising speeds.

• Haha
    Reactions: FishBoy82
    Upvote 0