ratboy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
so true! Although the new Kool aid is also traditional inboard platform with outboards... 😳

I have seen guys get thousands of troubles free hours on an I/O.... I know they have more problems than an outboard, but not as dramatic as many would suggest... that’s all I’m saying...

Dog house sucks!
Not out drives, they are horrible especially in a slipped boat, most inboard motors last thru 3,4,5 outdrive rebuilds or replacements, not many conversions on shafted inboards mostly outdrive models.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Not out drives, they are horrible especially in a slipped boat, most inboard motors last thru 3,4,5 outdrive rebuilds or replacements, not many conversions on shafted inboards mostly outdrive models.

People get thousands of hours on I/O’s as well... many mid sized commercial boats, slipped and trailered....

I know most outboard conversions are on I/O’s, but the removal of inboards for outboards is becoming more popular.... Seen a few Betram’s and other mid sized 30-50’ vessels... There’s a sweet as Betram up North, but if I remember right he put fricken Etec’s on it.... 😳

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    If you’re unsure. Get everything pulled and patched. Then test flotation by adding your 250lb buddies to the cockpit until it sits right. Bring good beer and pizza. Or ammo. None of that Russia steel shit.

Upvote 0

Buzz2401

Boat HO
  • Jun 29, 2009
    Shelton, Wa USA
    Name
    Russ
    Boat
    Bounty 257
    People get thousands of hours on I/O’s as well... many mid sized commercial boats, slipped and trailered....

I know most outboard conversions are on I/O’s, but the removal of inboards for outboards is becoming more popular.... Seen a few Betram’s and other mid sized 30-50’ vessels... There’s a sweet as Betram up North, but if I remember right he put fricken Etec’s on it.... 😳
    My buddy with same boat had 3200 hours on a 7.4 that was still running but tired. Right now he has 1000 hours on a 8.2 only issue so far has been a power steering hose that blew real early like less then 100 hours. I think people hate I/I because nobody ever does a full replacement. They cheap out buy a long block and all the other crap is still old.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    If you’re unsure. Get everything pulled and patched. Then test flotation by adding your 250lb buddies to the cockpit until it sits right. Bring good beer and pizza. Or ammo. None of that Russia steel shit.

Be careful if you do this totally empty. Removing 1800lbs from a ~8000lb (guessing the weight) is 22% of the weight (low center of gravity). — The boat will be tender given it’s 8’6” beam (especially with little fuel); sling launch if you can.

Ballast with a pallet tank (or garbage cans) and fill it with water. Just as expensive as pizza and beer. 50 gallons puget sound of seawater is ~420lbs.

Upvote 0

Pau Hana

Fish murderer
    Mar 31, 2003
    In the beautiful Pacific NW- Seattle, WA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Pau Hana
    So I recently purchased a Bounty 257 with twin 4.3l volvos in it. I want to remove engines fill holes replace deck and put a bracket with twin Suzuki 200's on it. Any advice or things to worry about? I have never seen one of these converted but it is similar to a seasport and many of those have been done.

View attachment 1218082

Do it right, whatever you do- professionally preferred. From the insurance standpoint, any claim directly attributable to the conversion may be grounds for a declination.

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    put this in the cool aid....
    0F35E2B8-D8ED-4EFB-9BB8-781FFECBDCA2.jpeg

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Hopefully this is a job that not even BAMF can fuck up! Looks to be a solid battle wagon!

Based on the limited small exposure BAMF has had and their inability to even respond and repair Mark’s boat I wouldn’t let them work on my wheel barrow!

They’re so stupid they ignored court documents served upon them and literally had Mark repo their boat show boat for payment for being douche bags!

Communication is key, and backing up yourself if you fuck up is important….

Hope it works out for you!

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    So thought I'd post a update. Not done yet but it is slowly coming along. Had BAMF marine rebuild the transom and install a PDR bracket. Lots of rigging and wiring to do but hoping to get done before next May.

View attachment 1338299

View attachment 1338300
    Wow! I have a similar size/weight boat with Suzuki 200’s and can just touch 50mph light. This thing has to be closer to 60 or more! Going to fly!

Upvote 0

Polarbill1999

Almost A Member
    Aug 30, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Brett Yates
    Boat
    1996 Arima Sea Chaser
    Looks awesome. I saw earlier in the thread mention of making sure there was enough rear weight when swapping to outboards. Is that why you chose the heavier v6s? And while doing that you decided, [email protected]! I literally, might as well go big or go home?

Availability play a factor?

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    You might want to check your weight distribution between your trailer axels. Hard to tell from pictures but looks like your rear tire is much more loaded which would make sense having moved so much weight to the back of the boat. If you plan to keep her moored then likely not a big deal.

Polarbill1999
    Polarbill1999
    Looks like the trailer isn't hooked up and the jack is all the way up. Bet that if he hooks up and drops the tongue to flat it would look better. Always nice when folks are looking out for each other though.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0