I need my Seastar bled.. help

Jul 14, 2014
OC
Name
Me
Boat
79 Mako 21CC
Hey guys... if anyone has free time to bleed my power steering.. let me know what your time will be worth. Boat is located in Irvine. Yes, I have seen all the videos but still want someone that knows what they are doing to help me out.

Thanks fellas.

949-701-9596

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
if you were closer i'd help you out.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Here is how to make short work out of the job:
Have somebody else do it (just kidding) or go to Home Depot and get some clear plastic tubing in the diameter that fits snugly over your bleed valves at the ram. Get enough of it so you can slide one end over the valve and drape the length of the hose to and over the help pump. Hang a catch basin under the end of your plastic tubing ( a cut down quart fluid container) over your helm pump. From the cut down quart pump fluid container have the hose go to the screw in fitting for the helm pump. Turn the helm one way or the other until it stops. Remove the reservoir fill cap at the helm. Loosen the appropriate bleed valve with a wrench, just unscrew it a turn or so do not remove it. Now turn the wheel at the helm and watch the fluid climb into your tubing and head for your reservoir. As the fluid level goes down in the helm pump add more fluid before you ingest air into the system just keep doing this until you see zero bubbles coming up your tubing, The fluid you pump will fill your resevior and continuously keep your helm pump full until you are ready to disassemble. Close that bleed valve and remove tubing to the other bleed valve and repeat process. It is easy and eliminates the old "open it, close it " sequence between two people bleeding a system. Tech at it's best. The KISS method

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Self bleeding is possible.

I built a harness that hangs from the radio box that holds the sea start bottle. Since you have to put a hole in the bottle, It is a permanent device. I do not use seastar liquid, but use aviation brake fluid.
I use bottles to catch the ram liquid when first filling. Then use the bottles to fill the Hanging reservoir with the hole I put int he top of the bottle.

When bleeding out the ram, I attach hoses ot it and the bottles catch the the fluid.

The key is to never let the reservoir run dry.

seastar1.jpg

seastar2.jpg

seastar3.jpg

Reactions: strackle99
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I'm a tube guy to the fill reservoir. I use a bogen arm to hold the fill bottle...but hanging it from the top works too. It's a good thing to know.

Last year my steering went out in the AM before heading out for BFT up here in SC. Went and bought a bottle, bled it out in 20 min and caught my first solo BFT out of home port that day.

The more you know, the more little fixes wont hold you back and can save your ass.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I use aviation brake fluid also. It is pretty cheap if you but it by the gallon at the local airport supply..

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
When you get someone to come over to help you the first time, watch and LEARN how to do it yourself because this is a regular maintenance issue. easy-peasy as evidenced by so many BDers being able to do it. :D

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
When you get someone to come over to help you the first time, watch and LEARN how to do it yourself because this is a regular maintenance issue. easy-peasy as evidenced by so many BDers being able to do it. :D
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2014
OC
Name
Me
Boat
79 Mako 21CC
OK guys.. so I did the self bleeding method you guys suggested and it worked perfectly. My boat has been at the storage a few months without movement. I went yesterday to check on and found that the motor moves freely. Ive seen many videos and I'm guessing it's a leak. Any good pointers from this point? Thanks guys

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
For real cheap you can install a fitting kit above the helm pump. I put mine on top of dash. The fitting connects to the backside of the helm pump via a clear hose. The hose becomes a reservoir so when you want to bleed the system no air gets into the helm pump. Also you can monitor hose for fluid level.

IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPG

Upvote 0

Steve Dee

Oct 5, 2015
San Diego
Name
Steve D
Boat
Grady White 180 - "Running with Scissors"
I found a shop that has the Seastar power purge machine. This was able to get out ALL the bubbles in a few minutes with no mess.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Good info on this post.... Yes i made my own bleed system as well .....my system makes for a one man operation... and no mess.... LOL

Upvote 0