Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
So I have been hunting really hard for either a project or a boat and I found this rig that checks quite a few marks off the list. I called the guy and he is going to get me more pictures. Apparently it's mechanically sound. It just needs spruced up cleaned up and set up. I have a friend about 30 minutes away who can check it out for me and then I'll get a survey lined up if he likes what he sees.

I don't like the steering situation but I feel like that could be remedied with minimal effort.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Charles_Sterlin
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Nope… that’s a shit show right there… 1969 aluminum nope….
    Old aluminum gets brittle from flexing, not to mention potential corrosion issues…. A 30 year old Yanmar and gear that goes in and out of gear is not mechanically solid…. That’s some sales bullshit the guy gave you…

look at the picks and how low the bow is… that might work elsewhere but I think that’s a plow in our waters….. Nothing good about this project… 👎

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    A single screw sucks to park... if there is any kind of wind.

Reactions: Hard Chargin'
    Hard Chargin'
    Hard Chargin'
    Single screw is one of the things I have been hunting for. I anticipate a bow thruster at some point.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Nope… that’s a shit show right there… 1969 aluminum nope….
    Old aluminum gets brittle from flexing, not to mention potential corrosion issues…. A 30 year old Yanmar and gear that goes in and out of gear is not mechanically solid…. That’s some sales bullshit the guy gave you…

look at the picks and how low the bow is… that might work elsewhere but I think that’s a plow in our waters….. Nothing good about this project… 👎

I'll get a survey before I do anything- that will tell if it's sales BS or not. It should also sniff out corrosion issues. And there's plenty of diesels much older than 30 years still plugging around in the water so the age doesn't bother me though I was never a fan of Yanmars.

I hear you about work hardening of the hull. If it was properly built (as I have heard strikers were) then this should be a non issue. Tons of older 70's Bristol bay boats made of Aluminum still working. Those bad boys get beat up more in a year than I would do to a boat in my lifetime. I'm hoping the surveyor would be able to clue off on this based on the construction and tell me if it were an issue.

As for being bad for our waters. The bow seems fairly sharp to me. And it looks to be around 3' freeboard at the bow Judging off the man standing there. That doesn't seem terrible for a 27' boat. What would you expect to see? I'm certainly not defending this boat, it's not mine. Some aspects are very attractive to me and others not so much.

I appreciate your feedback.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I felt It's also reflected in the price of the old girl. They aren't asking a fortune.
    They are asking waaay too much and that’s why it’s on Ebay…. If it was $10k and located in Washington it might be a consideration….

located in Florida and overpriced! So it will cost you and $7k to get it to you in shipping.

They value is the sum of it’s parts…

30 year old Yanmar. $2500.00
    Marine gear $1500.00
    Aluminum scrap $6000.00
    Misc old marine parts $1000.00

Then what is your time and trouble worth?

If it was a glass boat it would actually have more value in the Hull…. 50 year old aluminum that has been neglected is very questionable and probably scrap…

Then the design of the boat doesn’t look great either… very low and flat, single screw probably a slow chugger not a semi planing hull that will raise the bow…

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I'll get a survey before I do anything- that will tell if it's sales BS or not. It should also sniff out corrosion issues. And there's plenty of diesels much older than 30 years still plugging around in the water so the age doesn't bother me though I was never a fan of Yanmars.

I hear you about work hardening of the hull. If it was properly built (as I have heard strikers were) then this should be a non issue. Tons of older 70's Bristol bay boats made of Aluminum still working. Those bad boys get beat up more in a year than I would do to a boat in my lifetime. I'm hoping the surveyor would be able to clue off on this based on the construction and tell me if it were an issue.

As for being bad for our waters. The bow seems fairly sharp to me. And it looks to be around 3' freeboard at the bow Judging off the man standing there. That doesn't seem terrible for a 27' boat. What would you expect to see? I'm certainly not defending this boat, it's not mine. Some aspects are very attractive to me and others not so much.

I appreciate your feedback.
    I believe you are a glass is half full all the time rather than when it is appropriate. That is a good trait, but there are times when you need to be half empty until otherwise proven… The height of the bow is more of a visual not a measurement. I also don’t even think there is 3’ maybe 30”. Look at the guy in the back and the level of the floor, the gunwhale hits him in the knees. Then there is very low freeboard in back…

Add to that, most aluminum boats in this size are shallow because shaping the aluminum especially back them was difficult and rudimentary.

Surveyors, especially in Florida are very different and they often do not identify corrosion issues. They often don’t find rot in stringers and corrosion on fuel tanks either. It’s a cursory overview and comps…

Be real cautious with surveyors in Florida, they are unregulated under 34’ by Florid state law… on one of my old Grady’s I had a bad experience with one who had certifications an in the end he did a shit job and I paid the price for it.. When I contact Florida DOJ fraud department and filed a complaint, they basically said there is no regulation for boats under 34’. Sorry about your luck….

To me this is not a viable project and I would not waste time or money on a survey…

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    Ya know Andre, I commend your efforts to be original, and march to the beat of your own drum. 50 year old aluminum— across the country??

Just no..

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Please don't buy that. 1969 aluminum is Swiss cheese right now. The thing looks like a mess. 1969 wiring is done. The helm sucks. That's an old yanmar. I'd bet it's a rust ball. Not a good testament when the sales pitch is: "mechanic got it running, goes into gear".

I wouldn't want any part of a neglected diesel. They're alot of work in maintenance even when cared for. Single screw I want no part of. Add 5k for shipping. Or a couple grand to go get it. 16k is about 16 times what it appears to be worth.

Other than that looks rock solid

Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    No Supsension seats = Hard Pass

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Please don't buy that. 1969 aluminum is Swiss cheese right now. The thing looks like a mess. 1969 wiring is done. The helm sucks. That's an old yanmar. I'd bet it's a rust ball. Not a good testament when the sales pitch is: "mechanic got it running, goes into gear".

I wouldn't want any part of a neglected diesel. They're alot of work in maintenance even when cared for. Single screw I want no part of. Add 5k for shipping. Or a couple grand to go get it. 16k is about 16 times what it appears to be worth.

Other than that looks rock solid

Ok fine I wont. But only because you said please.

I guess the quest continues. A single screw diesel in a metal boat is a lot harder to find than you might think.

• Love
    Reactions: Captain Decent
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Ok fine I wont. But only because you said please.

I guess the quest continues. A single screw diesel in a metal boat is a lot harder to find than you might think.
    Why look for metal? Glass especially for a project… Easier to modify, old strong commercial hulls built like tanks won’t have the issues of an d aluminum boat… Lots of single screws to choose from…

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Why look for metal? Glass especially for a project… Easier to modify, old strong commercial hulls built like tanks won’t have the issues of an d aluminum boat… Lots of single screws to choose from…

I like metal. Always been a metal guy. As far as modifications go I am much more confident in my ability to make changes in metal and have them be strong and professional looking than glass.

G-Spot
    G-Spot
    You’re smart enough you could easily learn and do glass… Aluminum must be very clean to structure weld… You know that… old corrosion makes that tough… design limitations of old hulls will also make it tough…. Good luck!
    Upvote 0
    Hard Chargin'
    Hard Chargin'
    @G-Spot I have done just enough glass work to know I don't like doing it haha. I know that I could learn to do it well I am just already a competent fabricator so aluminum work seems easy to me. I do hear you loud and clear on the design of old hulls though. And old Aluminum hulls especially.
    Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    It seems to me no matter how many warnings you get from those that know... you are determined to convince yourself this boat is a good idea... if you buy this boat... you'll be telling someone else in the future everything we are telling you.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Just do it!
    Sounds like it's what you want.
    You'll be happy with your decision.
    Because you made it. ✌️ ✌️

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    It seems to me no matter how many warnings you get from those that know... you are determined to convince yourself this boat is a good idea... if you buy this boat... you'll be telling someone else in the future everything we are telling you.

Nope. That's why I asked in the first place. I wasn't sold on it to begin with and all the negative feedback is definitely having an impact on my thoughts about this boat. It's not gonna change the fact that I'm in the market for a single screw diesel metal boat. But it's certainly turning me off of this one.

Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
    Kitsap
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    24 LaConner
    You'll need to look at commercial boats to find an aluminum fixer with straight inboard. Here's a project on Dock Street Brokers, 32 foot with a diesel for $30k
    5cf6d1b4195d3.jpeg

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Sounds like you did your research and you know you want the boat and your looking for some moral support to buy it, and that doesn't seem like it's going to happen with all the comments on here. Just bite the bullet then and go buy it. You'll never know if you didn't buy it.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Sounds like you did your research and you know you want the boat and your looking for some moral support to buy it, and that doesn't seem like it's going to happen with all the comments on here. Just bite the bullet then and go buy it. You'll never know if you didn't buy it.
    Not morale support. I honestly wanted to see what other people opinions are of the boat to get perspective on what I was possibly missing.

As @G-Spot pointed out. I'm a very enthusiastic and optimistic guy. I am aware of this so I leverage others to bring reality into focus for me.

Upvote 0