I learned three lessons from fish processing (edited)

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
NorCal
Name
Boat
19' Hobie
I bought a 42x90 Reliable kill bag to avoid the fish processing station. Load it up with ice and drive back up to NorCal. And I need the carcasses for lobster opener. For those that lives out of states, makes perfect sense to use the processing. Sucks that it happened to you, the fish is probably sitting in the freezer still.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The times I have been short. Were not from 5 star

Keep a eye on your wahoo and rare bottom fish

Have called a processor out for 12 wahoo. They went back into storage and magically found 4 full trays of wahoo

But apparently the 4 trays were not my fish but another anglers. So they needed to replace my fish with another anglers fish?

Reactions: KXKH
Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Update: In all fairness and to give credit where credit is due. After approximately twenty calls, three messages, an a PM to Marco the issue has been resolved.

You would think that at my geriatric age I would know better but obviously that is not the case. Clearly I overreacted in part for shock value but also because I was both amazed and amused by the situation. Regardless, it was nice of Marco to open up a BD account in attempt to resolve the issue. I sent him a PM with a half assed apology and my contact information in case he wanted to reach out. To be honest not sure if it was the multiple voice messages or the PM that worked regardless, he did reach out to me and left me a voice mail. I saw the number he was calling from was different than the business number so I called that number and was able to reach him. In speaking to him he was very professional and a lot nicer than I would have been in similar circumstances. He informed me they found an extra tray and immediately offered to resolve the issue. Again, clearly I overreacted in my initial reaction and for that I take full responsibility and apologize to those involved.

Fish on BD !

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Update: In all fairness and to give credit where credit is due. After approximately twenty calls, three messages, an a PM to Marco the issue has been resolved.

You would think that at my geriatric age I would know better but obviously that is not the case. Clearly I overreacted in part for shock value but also because I was both amazed and amused by the situation. Regardless, it was nice of Marco to open up a BD account in attempt to resolve the issue. I sent him a PM with a half assed apology and my contact information in case he wanted to reach out. To be honest not sure if it was the multiple voice messages or the PM that worked regardless, he did reach out to me and left me a voice mail. I saw the number he was calling from was different than the business number so I called that number and was able to reach him. In speaking to him he was very professional and a lot nicer than I would have been in similar circumstances. He informed me they found an extra tray and immediately offered to resolve the issue. Again, clearly I overreacted in my initial reaction and for that I take full responsibility and apologize to those involved.

Fish on BD !
    So did the extra tray add up to a reasonable processed total in the end?

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101

Fish on BD !
    Nice. I have never yet to this day met a handle I would not fly off of. LOL

Kudos to you for the post and as to the processor for figuring it out. It happens. Best to run into Marco one day, bump elbows and water off a ducks ass. We don't need to define ourselves with how we react - instead how we respond and resolve.

While that all sounds incredibly stable - please shove it back in my face - I ain't perfect.

Integrity - it's what's for dinner. Good job sir.

Reactions: Mr. DRE
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Found an extra tray...how many extra tray are there? I wonder if that extra tray belongs to someone else. How many people "extra tray" goes missing and what happens to that extra tray if customer never bothered to claim it?
    I wonder how many Extra trays are in their?? If you had 20 fished processed and the skim one or two fish off your order, You would probably never know!!!! Think of this, 1-2 fish skimmed off every order of That's a lot of trays in the their frig. What do they do with the fish if that's what actually happens, Theirs unlimited things they could do with it, Fish Jerkey or smoked fish like fisherman's processing sells on their website, ETC

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mr. DRE
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    It was a simple mistake. They overlooked a tray of the guys fish. They found the tray and made it right with the customer and the customer is satisfied with the outcome. Of course now the BD haters can't drop the matter and have to come out and accuse the company of stealing fish when it is very obvious that it was nothing but a simple mistake from the start.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white

Fish on BD !
    No need to apologize.It looks like you tried to resolve this privately first and got nowhere until you went public with it.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I had an issue with 5 Star last year that Drew took care of immediately after hearing about it and more than made up for it. I was impressed and happy with the response and they made me a repeat customer.

My experience.
    Good to hear that your problem was immediately taken care of, but why did one of the owners of the company have to take care of the problem?

Why couldn't the manager of the operation take care of it, as it should be?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    It was a simple mistake. They overlooked a tray of the guys fish. They found the tray and made it right with the customer and the customer is satisfied with the outcome. Of course now the BD haters can't drop the matter and have to come out and accuse the company of stealing fish when it is very obvious that it was nothing but a simple mistake from the start.

Yep^^^^^^^^^^

Upvote 0

Sum Ting Wong

Expert Lurker
    Oct 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Big
    @Mr. DRE : Having been in a management position for high end clientele for years, I can safely say (based upon your statements in this thread, and the business response) that you did NOT receive good customer service.

Reading the response from the company, one can only hope the person who posted that lackluster statement was having a bad day, and does try harder in his job position. I suspect that is not the case, as YOU had to repeatedly initiate contact, and seek out more direct avenues of communication.

What should have happened is, instead of stating how it could not have been a fault of the business, the business should have PM'd you, asking how they could rectify the situation. The fact that the business responded in such a manner, and then STILL did not contact you until you sent a private message, indicates both a lack of urgency, and concern, towards your situation.

I have no hate, or love for processors. I've used them many times; sometimes with issues, mostly not. But, I live locally, and can drive there to solve the communication issue. To state you overreacted, and then apologize for your behavior is completely unnecessary. You did NOTHING wrong. Your situation could have been easily resolved with one return phone call from the business, within a day of the first voicemail you left.

You've just experienced extremely poor customer service and, apparently, the business was not terribly concerned about your predicament. Yes, the issue was resolved, but you had to chase the solution.

So, you have a choice. There are several other companies who may value your time more, and work harder to provide a good product. In the future you'll be able to make a more informed decision about where you spend your hard-earned dollars. I learned all I need to make an educated decision, which will affect where I choose to process in the future.

Have a great 4th!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    @Mr. DRE : Having been in a management position for high end clientele for years, I can safely say (based upon your statements in this thread, and the business response) that you did NOT receive good customer service.

Reading the response from the company, one can only hope the person who posted that lackluster statement was having a bad day, and does try harder in his job position. I suspect that is not the case, as YOU had to repeatedly initiate contact, and seek out more direct avenues of communication.

What should have happened is, instead of stating how it could not have been a fault of the business, the business should have PM'd you, asking how they could rectify the situation. The fact that the business responded in such a manner, and then STILL did not contact you until you sent a private message, indicates both a lack of urgency, and concern, towards your situation.

I have no hate, or love for processors. I've used them many times; sometimes with issues, mostly not. But, I live locally, and can drive there to solve the communication issue. To state you overreacted, and then apologize for your behavior is completely unnecessary. You did NOTHING wrong. Your situation could have been easily resolved with one return phone call from the business, within a day of the first voicemail you left.

You've just experienced extremely poor customer service and, apparently, the business was not terribly concerned about your predicament. Yes, the issue was resolved, but you had to chase the solution.

So, you have a choice. There are several other companies who may value your time more, and work harder to provide a good product. In the future you'll be able to make a more informed decision about where you spend your hard-earned dollars. I learned all I need to make an educated decision, which will affect where I choose to process in the future.

Have a great 4th!
    Well said

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor

Fish on BD !
    Glad to hear that your problem was resolved.

Now to rectify their mistake, do you have to make another trip to pick up the balance of your fish? Or will they deliver it to you?

Upvote 0

Ridebreck

Aug 18, 2019
    Monument, CO
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    MyTwoFeet
    I just had 5-Star processed 851# fish. Yes, they need to improve the shitty phone system but the quality of the product was excellent. I got about 36% from the whole fish with 465# for BF and the rest were YT.
    Was on the trip with you, buddy. I wasn't so lucky (short a box), but am trying to work it out with them. They could definitely use some refresher training on how to return a phone call...

Upvote 0

Ridebreck

Aug 18, 2019
    Monument, CO
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    MyTwoFeet
    To be fair to Five Star, they did get back with me today, owned up to the mistake and are making it right. I should also point out that this was not influenced at all by my earlier post. Sure, things didn't get resolved as quickly as I had hoped, and that can be frustrating when I've paid a good amount of money. However I've learned over the years that patience and a friendly, understanding approach often yield superior results in the end. Tight lines, guys.

Upvote 0