I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
hello all,
just putting this out there so others may learn from my mistake....

installing my new 383 stoker in my boat over the weekend, pretty much new everything, including brand new aluminum exhaust manifolds. i was able to fire the engine get it up to temperature and adjust timing and carb. rant for about 15-20 minutes. shut it down and did a victory dance!!it sounded awesome!
so next morning i go out to the shop and im very eager to start it and show off my new engine to a couple friends. thats when the shit hit the fan. turn the key and engine makes maybe 1 revolution and stops dead. my friends say "looks like you need to charge the batteries" and leave. i know different.
i pull the plugs and find coolant in two cylinders no. 5 & 7. its either head gasket, intake gasket, or exhaust manifolds. so i pull the starboard side exhaust manifold complete (with riser and spacer) and rig up a way to pressure test the manifold on the bench. the results were not good.
there is a crack about 1 1/2" inside the exhaust port. called my supplier and started the process to get it replaced and a possible claim if the hydro lock damaged my new engine.
so what did i learn???

i will never install exhaust manifolds without performing a bench pressure test again.

i dont want to share the supplier or the manufacturer at this time, i want to see how this plays out first. if they do right, i'll share, if they do me wrong i'll share also.
i was going to post a video of my pressure test rig but cant figure it out.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
After you pulled the plugs, did you spin the engine?
I woul pull all the plugs add WD40 and spin her big time.
You need to get the water out now! Or yesterday. Hydo shock damage is possible, probable not because it was turning too slow, but water damage!

PS I hate rework!

Reactions: bus kid
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2003
temecula
Name
darren
Boat
lisa's fury
I have a 383 in my skippy you are going to love it . had a similar problem first test run exhaust valve got stuck and sucked in water bent a valve and rod. engine builder took care of shipping and repairs..

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Another "i have a problem with a new product" complaint but i wont tell you who made the problematic parts.Until later.Useless.

Reactions: bus kid
Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Another "i have a problem with a new product" complaint but i wont tell you who made the problematic parts.Until later.Useless.

i will disclose what happens when its done. it seems unfair to me to blast away at someone or company without giving them a chance to do whats right. i will not use this site to bully anyone into submission. i give my word that i will share when its over. as far as im concerned if they back up their product without a bunch of BS, it will be a positive experience. pain in the ass, but positive.

Upvote 0

ALUMINATOR

Sep 16, 2003
North San Diego County
caspsolutions.com
Name
Dennis
Boat
27' self built
I hope everything works out and the supplier makes it right. I can't think of being more depressed after all the work getting it installed.

On a side note, A friend of a friend bought Dean's boat and so far is very happy. He had some wiring problems so he is rewiring the entire boat. I sent him a link to the original post so don't be surprised if he contacts you with a couple questions. I told him I was working the day you guys dropped the new engine in so I couldn't answer all of his questions.

Reactions: Kahouna
Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I hope everything works out and the supplier makes it right. I can't think of being more depressed after all the work getting it installed.

On a side note, A friend of a friend bought Dean's boat and so far is very happy. He had some wiring problems so he is rewiring the entire boat. I sent him a link to the original post so don't be surprised if he contacts you with a couple questions. I told him I was working the day you guys dropped the new engine in so I couldn't answer all of his questions.

hate to threadjack but if the guy that bought Deans boat needs help please let us know. Im more than willing to help out to keep the boat "in the family" if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat

no problem, im happy to help any way i can.

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
    Jun 25, 2008
    The Island
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Boatless
    What's sad is that manufactures are pushing the envelope in terms of quality, material type, material quantity to get the minimum product that meets the requirement. Problem is when you skirt the line, there is no room for manufacturing error. Corporate shareholder returns drive companies to provide the minimum product at the maximum price.
    The crazy part they don't seem to understand is that one warranty job for every certain amount made will negate the fact they are saving by skimping on quality and material.
    There is a reason that the old diesels like the detroit 53 and 71 series blocks lasted forever.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    ok a update....got a call from the retailer, he told me they are going to get me prepaid shipping to return the manifolds and send out new ones. they have also offered to pay me labor time for having to re-do them again.
    im still going to disclose the players involved but will wait til its all done, just to be fair to everyone involved.

so far, so good!

Reactions: historic
    Upvote 0

PD41

Jul 15, 2014
    Redondo
    Name
    Butch
    Boat
    20' Bertram
    I hope you didn't let it sit with coolant in the cylinders. pull all the plugs and squirt some oil (not wd40) in the cylinders with coolant in them.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    I hope you didn't let it sit with coolant in the cylinders. pull all the plugs and squirt some oil (not wd40) in the cylinders with coolant in them.

as soon as i realized what happened i pulled the plugs and manifolds, cranked it over a bunch, and repeated several times with wd40 (2 cans so far to displace the water) and some marvel mystery oil.

current update.....still not done with this. retailer shipped out 2 new ones for me, pressure tested them both, only 1 passed. called them back to find out whats up. i got a return call for the owner of the manufacturing company. he started by reassuring me that his customers are most important to him, and he will back up his parts and any damage the bad ones caused to my new motor, and sent me a email (in writing) stating the same thing. he asked several questions about the problems i had and said he'd call me back.
    3 hours later i get a call, he got concerned and started testing his inventory..... sure enough he got a bad batch from the foundry and a pallet full of product was no good. seems my order was the first to use some from the "bad batch" and he was grateful i found this and reported it before more of these hit the streets. he offered to overnight me one that he tested good personally. he said it would cost him over 300 to do so and didn't mind paying it to make me happy. i declined cause i can wait a few days, and i'd rather get it than UPS. he said after this is done and over with that he'd take care of me. paying my time to r&r and related costs.
    although this has been a giant pain in the ass, never once from the retailer or the owner of the manifold company ever try to place blame elsewhere, deny liability, or make me feel like i'd get screwed in this deal.

going to keep the company names to myself til this is completely done. then i'll share. but so far its refreshing to be treated like human being.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Wow. That's incredible service. I'm interested to hear the company.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    well im back. after some problems we finally found a pair of good manifolds. i will say that MICIGAN MOTORZ (the retailer) and its employees (clayton) was very helpful and treated me well.
    when i started talking with the manufacturer, i got nothing but good customer service and apologies. peter was his name and the company is HGE MANIFOLDS. he treated me very well, never made excuses and took care of my problems. i firmly believe that what happened here was a bad batch from the foundry and just plain bad luck. peter stood behind his product and treated me very well. while it was a giant pain in the ass i would buy from him in the future and recommend his products to everyone.

so in summary.....
    MICHIGAN MOTORZ.........GOOD!
    HGE MANIFOLDS..............GOOD!
    PETER.......................A GOOD HUMAN BEING!!!!

Reactions: tanner.s
    Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
    Aug 16, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    flyhigh123
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    good.... i just installed a new set of OEM volvo manifolds with HGE Risers... looks solid... will be testing as well this weekend.

Upvote 0