Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat Name
Long range fishing
Packing for a trip to Port Loins Lodge in Kodiak Alaska. First off I will start with a bear viewing seaplane fly in trip and sit close to view the bears as they fatten up eating Salmon before the winter months arrive. Next I will be fishing the ocean off Kodiak Island where we hope to find Salmon ( Kings &Silvers )-Halibut rock fish and Ling Cod. I know how to fish Long Range but as to this kind of fishing I am clueless in fact I went on my friends boat a few years back for some salmon fishing and the first thing I ask him do you fish circle hooks or J hooks. Because if you know about Long Range fishing a circle hook you point and wind and your hooked up. Using a J hook it's best to set the hook. Well when I was Salmon fishing and a big Salmon hit the trolling rod I set the hook with all I had.... needless to say I got schooled from my friend about setting a hook on a soft mouth Salmon. My response was you told me it was a J hook....see he understood that because we fish 16 day trips and if fishing a Skipjack you always set the hook.. maybe more than once. As far as ling Cod I have cought a few in my life but all under 15 pounds. So I am excited to take this journey up north with my friends and maybe learn how to fish for some different species however I don't like the rain and I don't like the cold so I bought some rain gear with bibs and some cold weather clothing with gloves to make it somewhat bearable. Maybe will get lucky and I won't see any rain and it won't be in the 40's in the mornings. After I get back I am heading to PV to warm up a bit and some more fishing.
d24127b02ec67ed0a9f59d6910124d06--adventure-time-lions.jpg
Lake-Creek-Floatplane.2-1024x683.jpg

1601919296205.jpeg

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
Packing for a trip to Port Loins Lodge in Kodiak Alaska. First off I will start with a bear viewing seaplane fly in trip and sit close to view the bears as they fatten up eating Salmon before the winter months arrive. Next I will be fishing the ocean off Kodiak Island where we hope to find Salmon ( Kings &Silvers )-Halibut rock fish and Ling Cod. I know how to fish Long Range but as to this kind of fishing I am clueless in fact I went on my friends boat a few years back for some salmon fishing and the first thing I ask him do you fish circle hooks or J hooks. Because if you know about Long Range fishing a circle hook you point and wind and your hooked up. Using a J hook it's best to set the hook. Well when I was Salmon fishing and a big Salmon hit the trolling rod I set the hook with all I had.... needless to say I got schooled from my friend about setting a hook on a soft mouth Salmon. My response was you told me it was a J hook....see he understood that because we fish 16 day trips and if fishing a Skipjack you always set the hook.. maybe more than once. As far as ling Cod I have cought a few in my life but all under 15 pounds. So I am excited to take this journey up north with my friends and maybe learn how to fish for some different species however I don't like the rain and I don't like the cold so I bought some rain gear with bibs and some cold weather clothing with gloves to make it somewhat bearable. Maybe will get lucky and I won't see any rain and it won't be in the 40's in the mornings. After I get back I am heading to PV to warm up a bit and some more fishing.
d24127b02ec67ed0a9f59d6910124d06--adventure-time-lions.jpg
Lake-Creek-Floatplane.2-1024x683.jpg

1601919296205.jpeg
For the lings, a large lead head and a large grub tail work good.

Reactions: Bill W and Soda Pop
Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I've been having great luck on halibut and ling cod on knife jigs and flat falls. Last weekend my hot halibut jig as a 300 gram Mustad Rip Roller in Katy Perry pink and blue. Really. Try your BFT and YFT jigs on Alaska bottomfish.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Get one of those hats that have a soft screen all the way around them and down to your shoulders If mesquitos are around. It will be worth gold to you.

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Amazon probably. Both REI and LL Bean have insect repellent clothing. I highly recommend that you check that out too!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I'm flying to Anchorage two weeks from now, we'll be at a lodge on the Kenai River for a week, fishing salmon (likely silvers) in the river. I was asked if we wanted to go out into the ocean for big halibut and lings and told them nope. River salmon sounds like a hoot! But I hope that you have a GREAT trip and post another of your excellent reports. I was assured that August is neither really rainy nor were there many mossies. I'm taking rain pants and coat like for waterfowl hunting and bug spray anyway.

Upvote 0

tom fowlks

tommy tuna
  • Apr 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    tomfowlks.com
    Name
    tom fowlks
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    I'm flying to Anchorage two weeks from now, we'll be at a lodge on the Kenai River for a week, fishing salmon (likely silvers) in the river. I was asked if we wanted to go out into the ocean for big halibut and lings and told them nope. River salmon sounds like a hoot! But I hope that you have a GREAT trip and post another of your excellent reports. I was assured that August is neither really rainy nor were there many mossies. I'm taking rain pants and coat like for waterfowl hunting and bug spray anyway.
    I will open by saying that I’m green as hell compared to you guys on the long range fishing. Done a handful of 8 days, still a lot to learn … I read ALL your reports with great appetite and anticipation!!
    But I have experience in Alaska. Worked there as an observer on commercial boats, done loads of assignments up there as a photographer for Field & Stream and Outdoor Life.
    The Bugs are real.
    They are Big.
    And they don’t quit.
    Ever.
    Take any and all bug advice seriously.
    There is no season for them.
    Only too cold.
    And that’s not happening in August.
    All that said, I hope you’re blessed with some friendly breeze, bug free and the fish don’t stop biting till your back at the docks with beverage in hand.
    Will continue to look forward to your reports, ALL of you!!
    Think I may pull the trigger on a 10 day tomorrow on the SOA … if I do, I’ll post mine. Cheers and tight lines!!
    Tom

Upvote 0

CHU CHANGO

Mar 26, 2015
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Any that will take me
    I've been having great luck on halibut and ling cod on knife jigs and flat falls. Last weekend my hot halibut jig as a 300 gram Mustad Rip Roller in Katy Perry pink and blue. Really. Try your BFT and YFT jigs on Alaska bottomfish.
    Thanks for that. I would’ve never thought of it. Going to Ketchikan next month.

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
    Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat Name
    Trophy 2509
    I am here on the Kenai Peninsula as we speak (Deep Creek area about mid way between Kenai/Soldotna and Homer).

The quantity of red salmon coming up the Kenai River has dropped off considerably since the last two weeks of July when the Kenai was THICK with salmon and the daily limit was raised to (6) per person per day. (We were getting easy limits after an hour of fishing, hard to beat that kinda action!)

Hopefully the silvers show up in some solid numbers and you have an awesome opportunity to slay some. Sounds like your timing should be right on….

Fishing out on the salt (Cook Inlet) for halibut has been quite interesting this summer, to say the least. Have been battling lots of wind and rough sea conditions, making it a daily struggle and guessing game as to whether they will even allow private boats under 30’ to launch at all out of Deep Creek.

Despite all that, have had a few really nice days out on the inlet fishing from the 20’ aluminum Hewescraft SeaRunner that I stripped down and custom re-built myself.
    (Added shock absorbing seat pedestals this summer, which turned out to be totally clutch, and I should have done it long ago.)

Was afforded a nice weather window early yesterday morning, so we took advantage of it and got out on the salt before the conditions were forecasted to get sporty….

We decided to take a trip back out to the ol ‘Covid Hole’ which has provided GENEROUSLY and very consistently for the past two consecutive years.
    So far this year it had been freakin full of TONS of spiny dogfish and weak grade sparse halibut at best.

Well the risky decision to go back to that particular hole paid off in spades, and we had one non-stop action packed halibut slaying extravaganza from minute one til the very end.

We were able to snatch victory from the hands of defeat after the very first fish of the day to come up was a nice 75lb slob of a halibut, which ended up going absolutely apeshit nuts and eventually shook the hook and got off (after the inexperienced angler lady friend I had invited to come along for some reason tried to lift it’s head out of the water while I was busy fetching my harpoon and gun!! 🤦🏽‍♂️)

After that it was all 25 to 30 pound halibut solid bite, never-slowing, continuously all through the tide, slack, and turn.

Throughout the chaos we also ended up landing a beautiful 80lber and also a nice 60lber. With limits of turbo chickens to top off the box.
    Definitely cannot complain about that!

I would recommend you definitely bring good quality rain gear. And the mosquitoes are pretty vicious right now, so plan accordingly for that as well.

Hopefully your upcoming trip ends up being a successful and fun adventure, regardless of the quantity of fillets you end up dragging back home with you! 🤙🏽

3C12FC9D-EB26-4C4F-A241-90935C6FF3C4.jpeg

A3997146-69CC-432C-A708-D886F216EBD0.jpeg

C99720E1-0E18-4554-B9F7-44B9D145DA07.jpeg

106A3DAA-96A1-4AA0-A581-9841491C5E7C.jpeg

5383245D-07D5-4C0A-847D-8C52FAACF4D0.jpeg

EA491EF0-EAD3-4262-87E0-B21936C7D114.jpeg

D9DA6891-34B6-474A-96B4-F2E53E49A393.jpeg

9CFB6A68-A393-4DCA-A49B-B85E4608122B.jpeg

30A1DC8C-4785-4520-948C-9C601548CB69.jpeg

C99720E1-0E18-4554-B9F7-44B9D145DA07.jpeg

1DEF173D-C002-4CE4-809A-6B9A048988DB.jpeg

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    A big Steel One
    Soda - how much do you tip on an AK trip?

More importantly what kind of boots will you be wearing?

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    Soda - how much do you tip on an AK trip?

More importantly what kind of boots will you be wearing?
    Talking with my friends that go every year a 15-20% tip for the lodge and they split it up like the long range boats do. Bear viewing another 15-20% tip because it's not part of the lodge. Same boots I wear on the long range boats · XTRATUF Boots

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Talking with my friends that go every year a 15-20% tip for the lodge and they split it up like the long range boats do. Bear viewing another 15-20% tip because it's not part of the lodge. Same boots I wear on the long range boats · XTRATUF Boots
    Soda check out 100 % Deep, for mosquito’s
    I used to use it Duck hunting at the Salton Sea , it worked good.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat Name
    Wish I Had One
    Have a great trip. Fishing for halibut with big baits and circle hooks is slightly different that flylining for tuna. Have to let the halibut chew for while and take off with the bait. Set the hook the same way, no need to swing. Using flatfalls is more fun. I also like to use C&H Alien jigs, 6 and 8 oz. Black rockfish (bass) are a lot of fun. They suspend above pinnacles in big schools. Orange (80-170 grams) flatfalls work great for both black rockfish and lingcod. I use Nomad Buffalo jigs but many others work.

Saw this guy walking outside my cabin two weeks ago.

94561D19-BB4A-4363-A97E-45D37CC5DD5F.jpeg

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    I've never heard salmon have soft mouths, and always swung away if hooking a fish on a lure or trolled bait in the salt, as well as a king or silver hitting eggs or a lure in a river. Few years back, a buddy and I met up in Homer, went out on a king salmon/halibut combo. End of the day, he still didn't have a king but it was time to go in. Captain said to pop the 4 troll rods free from their downriggers, put each one back in its holder to let the line rise in the water column as the next rod was freed from the rigger. I watched the rods while my buddy did this for all 4 rods, one after another. I've seen the bait get hit as it flutters up toward the surface. Well, the first rod went off as he was pulling the last one free from the downrigger, and I yelled at him to grab it, fish on! He does, and proceeds to yank on the rod as hard as he can, two, three, four times! I said, "I think it's hooked now." He says, "Oh, shit, I thought it was still in the downrigger!" (Newbies. :) )

Anyway, fish landed, he got his king.

As far as circle hooks, take them out of the equation for halibut. They will hit the aforementioned 8" grub tails on a 16oz jighead just as good as the lingcod. Swing away! When I lived in AK, the first few charters I took I was using the tried and true bait on a big ass circle hook. When I learned the halibut hit jigs as well or better than bait, I never dropped another 2 to 5 pound hunk of lead with a circle hook and bait again. Jigs all day long. Halibut, lings, rockfish, they all eat the jigs.

And as mentioned above, I'm sure the variety of flatfall, slow pitch, knife jigs, will kill them all equally well. To hell with circles (tuna excluded), set that hook!

Reactions: Bill W and Tom123
    Upvote 0