I just bought a Glock mod-19 .45....

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by Rob Sanford, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Rob Sanford

Rob Sanford Pelon Pescador

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Work-in-progress semi-custom-junk-money-pit family 34 foot Sportfisher: "Sanford & Son"
    er...sorry, Model 21

I checked out a Sig, an HK, and a 1911....but the salesman at the shop steered me toward the Glock as a good all-around, goof-proof .45.
    Any thoughts? I have a few rifles, shot guns and revolvers, but never owned a semi.....did I make a good choice?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Sober

Sober Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Make sure to get a few spare magazines

3. SeaDawg

SeaDawg Grouper Hunter

Name:
    Harry
    Boat:
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
    Nothing wrong with a Glock IMHO. I am a .45 ACP kinda guy also, although I owned a Glock 9mm when I was a security guard in Vegas a lifetime ago........

I prefer the Kimber/Colt/Para/Springfield 1911 style, but the Glocks are inexpensive by comparison. What did you pay if I may ask...........

4. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    Glocks are the best for reliability, I carry the .40 cal for work awesome weapon, never once ever ever ever jammed or stove piped like my kimber or colts have... good choice for a defense round!

5. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    I personally don't like them, but there is no denying that they work. The feed just about anything and go boom when you pull the trigger. They're never going to be as accurate as a high quality 1911, but they are designed to shoot in the worst possible conditions that would clog up and cause a failure in a more accurate gun that has tighter tolerances...

6. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    1911 > glock

Still a good over all gun. As said before VERY reliable.

7. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    You made a good choice rob,as smudge and usmc says there are better,more expensive tight tolerance guns out there but you better keep on top of maintenance.

8. chevypickle23

chevypickle23 Newbie

Name:
    Chuck
    Boat:
    No name jon boat.
    Excellent choice for a gun that you can beat up and will come back firing. I have at least 3K rounds through mine with no issues. That gun will most likely last you a lifetime. If I had to carry a 45 in combat it would be a Glock.

9. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    X2 i have 3 glocks chambered in .40 and a kel-tec carbine chambered in same that takes glock mags. your glock will never fail you. as far as accuracy goes, your pistol is what you use to fight to the location of your carbine/shotgun!!!

10. Yaksquatch

Yaksquatch Newbie

Name:
    Alexander Ren
    I have a number of friends with glocks and I've spent a fair amount of time shooting them. They are great guns and pretty simple to operate. The fat grip soaks up recoil and makes them comfortable to shoot.

My only complaint with them is I hate that blasted "trigger safety" (it's not actually a safety, the safety is YOU!!!). It works up a blister on my trigger finger every time I shoot one. I'm sure if I owned one and shot it regularly, I'd build up a callus and it wouldn't bother me anymore.

FYI, I'm a 1911 man myself and I've had 0 (ZERO) failures with it. Even when I've let it get excessively dirty. Any gun can jam if it's not tuned right and any gun can be flawless if it is right.

Alex