May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
B53BCD18-5EA6-4995-A1FA-77DFE74203B0.jpeg
Hello Friends and Anglers,
My heart is and has been devastated from the tragedy of Monday morning. My heart bleeds for the families effected from the event that took place. I am sure without a doubt even though with a 100% Safety second there will be changes in sport boats and the standards the will prevail.
I would here and now like to ask that every single person that ever joins me or has a Charter to make sure to pay attention % to the safety speech, be aware of your escape plan, be prepared to help those that need it.
The crew of the Ranger 85 will never leave us until we are all safe. I am sure of that, I just want all my family to understand that nothing in this world means more to me than we are all in together.
I have tears to think something so horrible is possible. We all need to vow to cover for each other and like Boy Scout, marines and daddy’s to always be ready and prepared.

I am carrying on but goddamn it, lives were lost. I never ever want it to be on my watch.

I Love You All
Mikee

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
The crew of the Ranger 85 will never leave us until we are all safe. I am sure of that, I just want all my family to understand that nothing in this world means more to me than we are all in together.
Not sure why you would post this part, insinuating that the crew aboard the Conception didn't do everything in their power to save the passengers. Pretty distasteful IMO

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Not sure why you would post this part, insinuating that the crew aboard the Conception didn't do everything in their power to save the passengers. Pretty distasteful IMO
Excuse me Sir, I in no way insinuated not even considered that the crew abandon the passengers. You my friend took my note I posted only from My heart bleeding to the lost Ocean Lovers and their families, twisted it to think I thought such a thing!

I would never dream a crew aboard any vessel would abandon there passengers.

I am a Charter Master! I only mentioned the crew of the boat I Charter most times during the year! I do not have any experience with dive boats or their protocol.

Wow you insulted me on so many levels!

I so do not even consider the Crew abandoning the passengers, what a horrible thought.

Last edited:

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
unfortunately sir, you are way outta line with a comment like that. He did NOT in any way "insinuate" anything. :shake:

I'm right with ya Mikee......I just caught a news blurb about it, and because of incomplete information, you could kinda jump to a conclusion. I know I did!

Then, in a later report, when the details were presented, the 5 surviving crew members were just, IMO, very lucky that they were sleeping topside when the fire broke out.

It's a terrible tragedy. Doing what we do is NOT without risk. This is a stark slap in the face reminder of that.

My heartfelt condolences to all those affected by this devestatating accident at sea.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
unfortunately sir, you are way outta line with a comment like that. He did NOT in any way "insinuate" anything. :shake:

I'm right with ya Mikee......I just caught a news blurb about it, and because of incomplete information, you could kinda jump to a conclusion. I know I did!

Then, in a later report, when the details were presented, the 5 surviving crew members were just, IMO, very lucky that they were sleeping topside when the fire broke out.

It's a terrible tragedy. Doing what we do is NOT without risk. This is a stark slap in the face reminder of that.

My heartfelt condolences to all those affected by this devestatating accident at sea.

I also can't get this tragedy off my mind. My only question is .... Nobody was standing watch?

The fire got that big before it was noticed.

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
News flash...unfortunately first report from the CG just minutes ago. They had NO ONE ON WATCH. All crew members were asleep, sadly!
Lives could have been saved. They woke to the kitchen on fire below the crew berthing.

Reactions: antifret

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Just reported that all crew members were sleeping at the time of the fire
Many, including myself, thought this to be true but was hoping to be wrong.

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Sucks to wonder.
It is a terrible fact, but its much better to know.
I'm still waiting to hear if that was the common denominator on Prowler and Pacifica.

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Many, including myself, thought this to be true but was hoping to be wrong.
I truly feel if you have a crew of 4 on board watching 34 passengers, 2 of 4 should be on watch so they keep each other awake. They can trade off at intervals in some kind of orderly fashion.

Reactions: Reel hip

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Diving , just like fishing, is an extremely fun and exciting sport.

It is hard for some people to turn down the stoke when the dives are done for the day.

Anticipation of the next days dives or a night dive or two can cause insomnia.

Exhaustion is often the end result.

Crews work very hard and for many hours at a time. And sleep can be disrupted by other passengers.

If it wasn't asphyxia that impaired the crewmember on watch I am dismayed.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Diving , just like fishing, is an extremely fun and exciting sport.

It is hard for some people to turn down the stoke when the dives are done for the day.

Anticipation of the next days dives or a night dive or two can cause insomnia.

Exhaustion is often the end result.

Crews work very hard and for many hours at a time. And sleep can be disrupted by other passengers.

If it wasn't asphyxia that impaired the crewmember on watch I am dismayed.
I get that! But the crew are not diving. They are on deck at all time. Keeping watch, refilling tanks, cooking , Etc.

I am guilty of sleeping on anchor as a commercial ab diver myself in the late 70's. That was also just myself and my partner for a week on end. Now I'm (older ) and wiser unless at a anchorage I want someone awake.
The crew may have thought since they were tight to shore it may have been ok? IDK If the boat has as clean of a record towards safety as been stated then Alan you may be right. They are a commercial passenger carrying vessel. Someone should have been at watch!

If asphyxia was the cause, the crew did manage to wake up enough to save their lives!

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
Oklahoma
Name
Joe Ski
Boat
19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
turns out NO crew member was on "night watch" as reported on national television........ now THAT'S distasteful.....

biggens

Jul 27, 2008
lake
Name
duh !
Boat
26 ft wellcraft
View attachment 1064779 Hello Friends and Anglers,
My heart is and has been devastated from the tragedy of Monday morning. My heart bleeds for the families effected from the event that took place. I am sure without a doubt even though with a 100% Safety second there will be changes in sport boats and the standards the will prevail.
I would here and now like to ask that every single person that ever joins me or has a Charter to make sure to pay attention % to the safety speech, be aware of your escape plan, be prepared to help those that need it.
I have tears to think something so horrible is possible. We all need to vow to cover for each other and like Boy Scout, marines and daddy’s to always be ready and prepared.

I am carrying on but goddamn it, lives were lost. I never ever want it to be on my watch.

I Love You All
Mikee