I have a problem...

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
So I haven't yet finished my Cabo restoration but I did pick up my next project and it's a doozy. 1978 Formula F233 Thunderbird. The hull has already been gutted by the PO and is a blank canvas. A little grinding on the remains of the old tabbing and I'm good to start laying stringers and enclosing the transom.

Plan for this one includes raising the deck to be self bailing, and all new everything. Will definitely be getting a bracket and am leaning towards twin 175's. It was born a cabin boat with an inboard and will be an outboard CC fishing machine when it's done.

I have the hull to finish fairing and then my Cabo is ready to paint. Hopefully be able to fish the Cabo while this one is a work in progress. Not sure when I'll have any updates on this boat but I'm excited to get it home.

F233.jpeg
F233:2.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Tell the wife.....It’s better than hanging out at bars....

Reactions: Levelartist

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
Good to see a 233 build, not a lot out here but legendary hulls. What's the plan, CC, run about, Half-cab , Pilot house.....so many options with that hull?

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Good to see a 233 build, not a lot out here but legendary hulls. What's the plan, CC, run about, Half-cab , Pilot house.....so many options with that hull?
Gotta be a CC on the East Coast. I already have the Cabo cuddy so it'll be a toss up which one to keep. I don't really know how to do anything half assed when it comes to this stuff so you know it'll be decked out with all the top of the line goodies.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Very similar lines to my whitewater 25 I just picked up.
Pretty much a stretched version of the F233. From what I understand, the Formula is the most copied hull design in history. Both the Whitewater and the Formula have a relatively narrow beam and are fast hulls that when powered right can just fly over 2-3' chop. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Whitewater 25 given the right opportunity. My mind is swimming with the possibilities in this build.

Upvote 0

willyok

Apr 10, 2012
San diego, CA
Name
Will
Boat
Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
Pretty much a stretched version of the F233. From what I understand, the Formula is the most copied hull design in history. Both the Whitewater and the Formula have a relatively narrow beam and are fast hulls that when powered right can just fly over 2-3' chop. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Whitewater 25 given the right opportunity. My mind is swimming with the possibilities in this build.
That’s great to hear. I’m really looking forward to getting mine up and running. Mine is an inboard. I currently have the 320hp mercruiser out and will rebuild or replace. I also have the fuel tanks and all the wiring out.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
That’s great to hear. I’m really looking forward to getting mine up and running. Mine is an inboard. I currently have the 320hp mercruiser out and will rebuild or replace. I also have the fuel tanks and all the wiring out.

Twin 250’s on a bracket 😉

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Im a big fan of inboards. I wish I’d never sold my shamrock. That being said I have nothing against outboards. Just not my cup of tea

Mercruiser 383 MAG (350hp) would be a good option for yeah then.

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Thing I like about outboards is that if I were to have a serious issue, I could swap out an engine with one from the same manufacturer in about an hour if I had to. I was an auto tech for the first ten years of my adult life and the only 383s I'm interested in messing with are in hotrods not boats.

Upvote 0